The_Matrix

Pictures of AK's

Mmm, my father-in-law owns a metal polishing/chrome company. I'm thinking of having my CAI's BCG polished up now. I don't think he can do hard chrome or whatever it is called that is used on guns, only the shiny stuff for car parts, etc.

Mmm, my father-in-law owns a metal polishing/chrome company. I'm thinking of having my CAI's BCG polished up now. I don't think he can do hard chrome or whatever it is called that is used on guns, only the shiny stuff for car parts, etc.

Dan, where is he located, and does he ever do motorcycle parts?

Harry

Dan, where is he located, and does he ever do motorcycle parts?

Harry

Yes he does, his specialty is motorcycles and classic car parts. He's in Hillside. I'll PM you the info.

if you just pull the bolt and all out.. and visually compare where metal contacts metal.. you can take a VERY LIGHT dremel wheel and clean it right up... on most of my siagas.. no real difference.. on the saiga 12.. the action was suck out of the box.. cleaned the bolt up and that thing flies now... when you look at the metal you will see the problem.. the rough unsmooth parts.. as long asd you just go very light you would be fine..

saigatara2.jpg

fiances Saiga.. will ad muzzle device once I move to PA.. but besides that I think it came out well.. I ended up refinishing entire gun in a flat black.. the finish this gun came with really sucked..

standard conversion..

Saiga 5.45x39

AK Gas tube

Bolt on lower retainer

Tapco wood had to shorten LOP on stock a little for her.. lol

Tapco G2

cleaned and refinished whole gun..

if you just pull the bolt and all out.. and visually compare where metal contacts metal.. you can take a VERY LIGHT dremel wheel and clean it right up... on most of my siagas.. no real difference.. on the saiga 12.. the action was suck out of the box.. cleaned the bolt up and that thing flies now... when you look at the metal you will see the problem.. the rough unsmooth parts.. as long asd you just go very light you would be fine..

No roughness issues, merely for looks. :)

I'll take a look at it Vlad. Going to try the CAI out tomorrow for the first time and want to do it bone stock. Afterwards while cleaning I'll check out the areas you said to look and work it if needed. Thanks for the tip!

update?

Well to be honest I didn't really have time to play around with the issue BUT I did go to the cherry ridge range this past Sunday AND Im happy to report >>> 700 rounds down the range >>> it didn't jam once.

Well to be honest I didn't really have time to play around with the issue BUT I did go to the cherry ridge range this past Sunday AND Im happy to report >>> 700 rounds down the range >>> it didn't jam once.

if you had time to fire 700 rounds you had time to loosen up 4 screws.. lol

I would really check it out.. because if the tube IS too tight then it is probably putting more strain on the gas system than is necisary... and the constant moving parts through an area that has been made unnecisarily tight might cause other issues?

if you had time to fire 700 rounds you had time to loosen up 4 screws.. lol

I would really check it out.. because if the tube IS too tight then it is probably putting more strain on the gas system than is necisary... and the constant moving parts through an area that has been made unnecisarily tight might cause other issues?

Hehe yes I admit I was being lazy :)

Ok so if I loosing up the bolts and that fixes the problem.... Do I just leave them loose (not a good idea?) or do I have to take out the tube and see why there is a fitting issue? Or..... ?

Hehe yes I admit I was being lazy :)

Ok so if I loosing up the bolts and that fixes the problem.... Do I just leave them loose (not a good idea?) or do I have to take out the tube and see why there is a fitting issue? Or..... ?

the thing about those bolts is they don't really do a ton.. so the mistake I made is I really cranked them down.. so hard that it put stress on the piston and made it not cycle smoothly.. a little turn out on each screw made it perfect.. the gas tube is mostly held in by that slip fit upfront and the cam in the rear.. those bolts as far as I can tell just add a more secure mount making it easier for the optic to not jump around losing zero.. point being.. they do not need to be cranked down.. just tight enough that they do not back out.. keep in mind.. they are not moving parts..

Wow. 700 rds in one day. That's A LOT. The most I shoot in a day is 180 rds.

Wow. 700 rds in one day. That's A LOT. The most I shoot in a day is 180 rds.

And 500 with my AR build :) I don't get to go down to the range that much anymore so when I do >>> I spend the whole day there. Muscle memory :)

It does add weight, but nothing thats unbearable. I just put on the vertical foregrips....and I still need a cheek riser. So altogether it's getting pretty heavy. Not that I can't lift it, but I can only imagine that after firing a couple hundred rounds, I might be pretty tired. In the future, when I get more money, I'm pretty sure I will go with a different setup to try and lighten the overall weight of the gun.

Either that or just hit the gym more :sarcastichand:

It does add weight, but nothing thats unbearable. I just put on the vertical foregrips....and I still need a cheek riser. So altogether it's getting pretty heavy. Not that I can't lift it, but I can only imagine that after firing a couple hundred rounds, I might be pretty tired. In the future, when I get more money, I'm pretty sure I will go with a different setup to try and lighten the overall weight of the gun.

Either that or just hit the gym more :sarcastichand:

this is the exact process I went through... as you have seen my new lighter setup..

There are some people that appreciate the original design. I can appreciate that, as it is a beautiful rifle. But I do agree. Just because the rifle wasn't originally designed like that doesn't mean it can't be added later.

jeez guys it was (sort of) a joke lol

Okay, so then why don't you own an "updated AK"?

Or why don't you even like them, as they ARE BETTER than traditional AKs.

Okay, so then why don't you own an "updated AK"?

Or why don't you even like them, as they ARE BETTER than traditional AKs.

I found a trirail out of place on the AK platform.. on my AR the rail was tight and in close to the receiver/barrel.. on the AK platform they kind of break the clean narrow profile of the gun.. they sort of stick out.. also with products like the ultimak gas tube.. you can run red dot.. optic.. etc... and still have a narrow light gun.. I just found no use for me when it came to trirail on AK..