The_Matrix

Pictures of AK's

post-2485-0-55378100-1323965375_thumb.jpg

Here is my new Saiga in 7.62x39 that I converted in my living room. I realize it is pretty run of the mill as far as Saiga conversions go but like most I am working on a budget. Total cost for rifle including all fees and parts = $455.00

Thanks for the help Vlad.

no problem... good job!

There are no threads under there. That "shroud" is actually the turned down threads from the 24mm FSB. And its not so easy to take it off for a quick peek. You usually wind up having to start by drilling out the pins...

a lot of the newer Saigas have threaded barrels under the shrouds.. obviously not sure about that particular arsenal offering.. but just saying..

a lot of the newer Saigas have threaded barrels under the shrouds.. obviously not sure about that particular arsenal offering.. but just saying..

Is it possible to put the slant break or the 74 break on the Arsenals (or WASRs) if you get the shroud off?

Is it possible to put the slant break or the 74 break on the Arsenals (or WASRs) if you get the shroud off?

I am not sure but I bet glenn knows..

what I do know is that if you get the shroud off and there is NO threading.. lot of guys thread them and add a brake..

I would assume that if you thread it yourself.. as long as the size is the same.. you can thread it in the same threading as the brake and use it..

of all the brakes I am a pretty big fan of the slant brake..

I am not sure but I bet glenn knows..

what I do know is that if you get the shroud off and there is NO threading.. lot of guys thread them and add a brake..

I would assume that if you thread it yourself.. as long as the size is the same.. you can thread it in the same threading as the brake and use it..

of all the brakes I am a pretty big fan of the slant brake..

Thanks bro, I hate the non-brakes on my WASR and Arsenal. Likes better with a slant brake.

The WASRs typically come with a tack welded nut. This can be zip wheeled off at a FFL or out of state, and a slant brake can be stuck on and welded no problem. It is the common 14mm thread on the muzzle.

The AK-74s (like the Arsenals) have threads not on the barrel itself, but on the front sight base. The muzzle is unthreaded. The threads on the FSB are 24mm, which is wayyyy too big for anything but an AK74 brake. A slant brake, if it existed for 24mm threads, would look AWFUL (huge!)

So you have to swap your front sight base on the arsenal to an AKM front sight base, and thread the muzzle to accept the slant brake. To accept an AK74 brake, since arsenal grinds the threads, you must replace the front sight base with another one of the same style but with the threads.

This is why I encourage arsenal buyers to get the brake and spend the extra coin on welding it on. This way when you get to freedom you can zip off the brake and you have the $50 brake still and the $50 front sight base with intact threads that wont need replacing.

Fresh out of the box new. Plan on finishing the wood. WASR-10/63. Won't look cool compared to a lot of the pictures here but it's a start, so I'm excited.

+1 for Jet Agent LLC and their work. Sling is Chinese military surplus sling.

post-4661-0-62430800-1333154485_thumb.jpg

Nice looking gun..

Fresh out of the box new. Plan on finishing the wood. WASR-10/63. Won't look cool compared to a lot of the pictures here but it's a start, so I'm excited.

+1 for Jet Agent LLC and their work. Sling is Chinese military surplus sling.

post-4661-0-62430800-1333154485_thumb.jpg

...and the mags courtesy of your friend... *cough cough* (be glad I bought out all of MTN Armory's 15/20s at one point last year!) :p

On one of those pinned 15/20 MTN Armory mags?

Did you check if too much of the spring is stuck/binded above the pin?

I think that's the case. I was gonna disassemble it and check, but forgot to do so.

Anyways... no refunds Jimbo! :hunter:

photo-9.jpg

Saiga 7.62 converted by Century. So far its awesome, and came with a bullet guide already installed which was an awesome surprise for me. It has a utg rail on it, but, I cant seem to get it to sit straight. I think im going to get a different rail system eventually. I will eventually put the gas tub on that allows me to use most standard ak rails. I also am going to put a wood stock on until I decide if I want to go for an ace stock.

Will give a range report after I take her out for the first time on saturday.

Yea, I'm going to get the standard ak gas tube first than swap it. Cant seem to find one in stock though

If you are going to put standard AK furniture on it, make sure you buy a gas tube with a bracket. The Saiga gas tubes are straight, which works for their plastic sporter forend but not the short upper handguard.

Yea, I should of been more specific when I said that. I just don't know if vented or unvented makes that much of a difference.

It really does not make much difference. The vented gas tube is for AKs that don't have a vented gas block (early AKs, Chinese AKs). The non-vented gas tube is for AKs that have a vented gas block (modern, non-ChiCom Aks). There is no physical problem with putting a vented gas tube on a vented gas block. I would avoid putting a non-vented gas tube on a non-vented gas block though. I have to think there is a reason for some venting.