The_Matrix

Pictures of AK's

The 74 5.45 mags I got from Isaac are black plastic/Bakelite, whatever it its. Pretty interesting as they are sorta a hybrid, as the top portion that inserts into the rifle is metal melted/merged into the plastic mag body.

Just an FYI...

Want to dedicate this rifle to JManted because he is the one who told me about this forum and he is the one told us about the custom stock. Thank you :) !!!

c378e327.jpg

Sorry for the iPhone pic :) the best I can do right now.

Disclaimer: the rifle was upgraded with NJ legal parts and according to NJ laws based on the best interpretation of those regulations. The muzzle break is permanently pinned. The stock is permanently pinned. What looks like a 30rd mag is a shell that was permanently modified to be able to hold only 15rds as per NJ regulations.

Welcome to America, were I'm allowed to voice my opinion. You don't like it, go back to where ever you came from!!!

This is a private forum, your freedom of speech doesn't apply here. You CAN be censored...

• Like 2

Sensor me, please. Somebody sensor me. All I said was I don't like his stock. Sensor me, go ahead.

It's "censor", and no one is going to do that, Ray. Relax. I was just making a comment; not telling you to stop.

Damnit, Ray. Legion of AK users unite to bury this guy who's spewing AK hate in the AK forum :icon_twisted:

ETA: That's a good looking rifle, tuktuk. Ultimak-railed-gas-tube-mount-thing? Seems like a really nice piece of kit, even if it makes the purists cry.

ETA: That's a good looking rifle, tuktuk. Ultimak-railed-gas-tube-mount-thing? Seems like a really nice piece of kit, even if it makes the purists cry.

Thank you Sir. It's a project rifle so it's work in progress. Wood furniture was horrible so it had to go. GlennP told me about ultimak which is perfect for my eotech. It sits very firm in place. Took some time for it to get in just right and I'm very happy with the end result. Upgraded the recoil spring to Wolf +15% spring cause the bolt would just get stuck in the middle. It eliminated that issues but now sometimes it would get stuck when you are trying to pull it back. Like I said : work in progress. I think at some point when all of the mechanical issues are done with I will paint the rifle over. Taking her to the range on Sunday. Let's see how she dances.

Thank you Sir. It's a project rifle so it's work in progress. Wood furniture was horrible so it had to go. GlennP told me about ultimak which is perfect for my eotech. It sits very firm in place. Took some time for it to get in just right and I'm very happy with the end result. Upgraded the recoil spring to Wolf +15% spring cause the bolt would just get stuck in the middle. It eliminated that issues but now sometimes it would get stuck when you are trying to pull it back. Like I said : work in progress. I think at some point when all of the mechanical issues are done with I will paint the rifle over. Taking her to the range on Sunday. Let's see how she dances.

Head over to Saiga forums and look at user Pauly. He has a treatment called "glass bolt" that drastically reduces friction between the bolt and the receiver. He also profiles the hammer and makes sure that all work smoothly without any hangups.

It made a world of difference for my Saiga-12.

Edit: Glenn's post made me think of the hammer profiling.

the support brackets for your ultimak rail might be too tight.. it might be putting too much pressure on the gas piston... manually charge the gun.. and back the four bolts out a tad... see if that makes the gun cycle substantially smoother.. you CAN over tighten those bolts... and I have worked on a gun where it made it not cycle correctly.. loosening those bolts fixed it.. not sure if that is YOUR problem.. but I would check it out..

Head over to Saiga forums and look at user Pauly. He has a treatment called "glass bolt" that drastically reduces friction between the bolt and the receiver. He also profiles the hammer and makes sure that all work smoothly without any hangups.

It made a world of difference for my Saiga-12.

Edit: Glenn's post made me think of the hammer profiling.

Thank you for the great idea! I will look into "glassing" :) bolt and internals with my local gunsmith.

the support brackets for your ultimak rail might be too tight.. it might be putting too much pressure on the gas piston... manually charge the gun.. and back the four bolts out a tad... see if that makes the gun cycle substantially smoother.. you CAN over tighten those bolts... and I have worked on a gun where it made it not cycle correctly.. loosening those bolts fixed it.. not sure if that is YOUR problem.. but I would check it out..

Thank you! Will def try it to see if that's the problem

Thank you for the great idea! I will look into "glassing" :) bolt and internals with my local gunsmith.

What's nice is that taking out the fire control group and bolt carrier, etc gives you a much better understanding of how the rifle works and is put together. It makes you appreciate the designers genius even more.

If you are really into AKs, I suggest picking up "The Gun" by CJ Chivers. It won the Pulitzer Prize and is a history of automatic weapons in modern warfare, focusing specifically on the AK and how it changed politics, military thinking, revolutionaries, etc. It spends a couple of chapters on Gatling and his hand cranked machine gun and Maxim and his portable machine gun that was responsible for much of the carnage of World War I. After that, it's all about the AK. One thing that I found interesting is that the book removes a lot of the Soviet propaganda around Kalashnikov, that he single-handedly came up with this marvel. It was more an evolutionary process than revolutionary, using teams of designers adding on to older designs instead of the fable of one inspired man working in his shed. It's not meant to detract from the man, just not to make him the entire focus.

What's nice is that taking out the fire control group and bolt carrier, etc gives you a much better understanding of how the rifle works and is put together. It makes you appreciate the designers genius even more.

If you are really into AKs, I suggest picking up "The Gun" by CJ Chivers. It won the Pulitzer Prize and is a history of automatic weapons in modern warfare, focusing specifically on the AK and how it changed politics, military thinking, revolutionaries, etc. It spends a couple of chapters on Gatling and his hand cranked machine gun and Maxim and his portable machine gun that was responsible for much of the carnage of World War I. After that, it's all about the AK. One thing that I found interesting is that the book removes a lot of the Soviet propaganda around Kalashnikov, that he single-handedly came up with this marvel. It was more an evolutionary process than revolutionary, using teams of designers adding on to older designs instead of the fable of one inspired man working in his shed. It's not meant to detract from the man, just not to make him the entire focus.

I'm actually reading that right now. Many people arent aware how the AK actually has ALOT of its design from the M1 garand. Long stroke gas system, rotating bolt, and trigger group. See, its not ALL commie :p

Yeah that’s definitely true. Kalashnikov didn't single handedly invent or design the AK himself. In fact, even though mechanically different, the AK design was a takeoff of the Waffen and Fahrradfabrik STG44... which is considered to be the very first assault rifle. In fact the STG44 is the gun that created the term "storm rifle" or "Assault rifle"... it was the very first assault rifle. The Russians took that design, enhanced it and made it into arguably the greatest assault rifle ever conceived.

I do not see a need to polish the bolt.. remember corrosive or not you are shooting pretty dirty ammo.. and if you polish it what then? leave it bare untreated metal? most of the bot that you SEE doesn't even touch anything when moving.. so polishing it would be purely cosmetic IMO.. again I could be totally missing something.. and if I am I apologize.. but I see no benefit to polishing a none friction part.. you maybe clean up a little where it touches the rails and all.. but that is it IMO.. leave the bolt black the coating is lower maintenance than bare metal.. I weighed this all out on my fiances Saiga build which I just finished..it is a flat black gun so was going to polish the bolt because I think it would look good.. but no sense in creating more maintenance...

I do not see a need to polish the bolt.. remember corrosive or not you are shooting pretty dirty ammo.. and if you polish it what then? leave it bare untreated metal? most of the bot that you SEE doesn't even touch anything when moving.. so polishing it would be purely cosmetic IMO.. again I could be totally missing something.. and if I am I apologize.. but I see no benefit to polishing a none friction part.. you maybe clean up a little where it touches the rails and all.. but that is it IMO.. leave the bolt black the coating is lower maintenance than bare metal.. I weighed this all out on my fiances Saiga build which I just finished..it is a flat black gun so was going to polish the bolt because I think it would look good.. but no sense in creating more maintenance...

Saiga shotguns are a lot more tempermental than rifles when it comes to bolt movement. There are a lot of parts in play there that aren't in a rifle, like gas plugs, ports varying in number and diameter due to bad quality control (Google "Vodka Special" :)) and ammo strength (slugs, buckshot, birdshot). The first step to help cure a Saiga-12 that is short stroking is to increase the gas setting, the second is to smooth out the parts. The first choice isn't an option on a Saiga rifle. I hadn't considered the effect of corrosive ammo on the bead blasted bolt. I don't think it would be a problem though.

Saiga shotguns are a lot more tempermental than rifles when it comes to bolt movement. There are a lot of parts in play there that aren't in a rifle, like gas plugs, ports varying in number and diameter due to bad quality control (Google "Vodka Special" :)) and ammo strength (slugs, buckshot, birdshot). The first step to help cure a Saiga-12 that is short stroking is to increase the gas setting, the second is to smooth out the parts. The first choice isn't an option on a Saiga rifle. I hadn't considered the effect of corrosive ammo on the bead blasted bolt. I don't think it would be a problem though.

already cleaned up the channels and contact points on the S-12... in fact I just did it last night.. but after more reading I will likely just do the whole bold.. for the reasons you pointed out.. thank you for the info though.. I am aware that some of them run perfect out of the box... I am also unfortunately aware that some dont.... even if I have to work to get it going at the end of the day I think it will be worth it..