hopper

Very proud of my wife

The other night while i was at the Roger Walters THE WALL concert , which was incredible by the way , my wife was home alone and the door bell rang at approx 8:30 , she opened the door to see a black female approx 20 to 25 years of age with a younger girl approx 12 to 15 years of age , they proceeded to ask my wife if she knew where such and such lived ,they did not have a address or a desciption of the people they were looking for which made my wife really start to think something was weird , now not to sound racist or anything cause were not ,there are not really any black families in our development which doesnt mean they were looking for black friends but the names they gave my wife were not your normal "white" sounding names , so anyway my wife stood outside the door with the door behind her almost closed so they could not see in , so after about 5 minutes of them asking my wife questions and my wife not knowing who they were looking for they walked away , now my wife could not see where they walked to or if they came from a car , so my wife knowing from being robbed before that they SCOUT your house out before they break in to it went in to protection mode , she locked all the doors , set the home alarm to instant so if anyone even came through a door or window the instant alarm would kick in and alert the police , she then went and got the RUGER LCR 38 AND LOADED IT and set it next to her just in case , she text me when the concert was over so i could call the moment i came home to disarm the alarm , after she told me this i was like WOW she did exactly what we have talked about and prepared for and she said she was fully confident she could defend herself if it came to it , so to everyone out there make sure you talk about safety and defending yourself with your wives or girlfriends cause you never know when you may need to !!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Abolutely agree she should not have gone outside or even opened the door - that's how home invasions occur. Should have asked through the door who it was and what they wanted. When they asked and she didn't know and told them that, it should have ended right there.

If I'm not expecting someone and the doorbell rings, first I arm myself, then I look out to see who it is and if I don't know them they get the third degree through the door. I don't think this is being overly paranoid, just cautious. If someone makes a good enough case for me to open the door, I still have a gun in my hand behind my back.

You can't be too careful these days - you may not get a chance for a "do-over".

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

Abolutely agree she should not have gone outside or even opened the door - that's how home invasions occur. Should have asked through the door who it was and what they wanted. When they asked and she didn't know and told them that, it should have ended right there.

If I'm not expecting someone and the doorbell rings, first I arm myself, then I look out to see who it is and if I don't know them they get the third degree through the door. I don't think this is being overly paranoid, just cautious. If someone makes a good enough case for me to open the door, I still have a gun in my hand behind my back.

You can't be too careful these days - you may not get a chance for a "do-over".

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

agree with all of this..

I never open the door for anyone I don't know..

• Like 1

I think now she knows she should have stayed inside but her thinking was that 1. they wouldnt be able to look inside the house , 2. it was safer to stand outside on the porch where maybe the neighbors may have seen her , both of which i kinda agree with , so either way she was Thinking and Reacting !!!!!!

• Like 1

I think now she knows she should have stayed inside but her thinking was that 1. they wouldnt be able to look inside the house , 2. it was safer to stand outside on the porch where maybe the neighbors may have seen her , both of which i kinda agree with , so either way she was Thinking and Reacting !!!!!!

just for arguments sake..

innocent looking females on porch... 200+lb man just out of sight.. the second that door opens.. he comes into sight pushing your wife into the home.. it might sound Hollywood but it is actually a pretty common way that these scumbags get in.. get you to open the door for someone that looks harmless...

• Like 5

just for arguments sake..

innocent looking females on porch... 200+lb man just out of sight.. the second that door opens.. he comes into sight pushing your wife into the home.. it might sound Hollywood but it is actually a pretty common way that these scumbags get in.. get you to open the door for someone that looks harmless...

+1 no idea why this guy is proud of his wife.

Yeah she got the alarms set and the doors locked and the guns loaded....

.....right after she left herself and the house wide open for a burglary :facepalm:

• Like 3

.....right after she left herself and the house wide open for a burglary :facepalm:

I never used to be so anal about stuff like that.. I live in a fairly quiet neighborhood.. but about 10 minutes away there was a home invasion.. ever since then.. if there is a knock at the door.. the gun is loaded with one in the chamber as I check it.. I feel kind of nuts acting like that.. but it makes me feel less at risk.. and even at that point.. if I don't know you.. I am likely not opening the door period.. as the economy worsens criminals will become more and more desperate... as towns suffer budget cuts and more cops are laid off there is more of a strain on LEOs.. so with that equation.. I find it better to be extra careful..

• Like 4

First off you dont know me or my wife or where we live , you dont know what the enviroment is like i live in OR what my wife was thinking SO that said ,if she stays behind the full glass door the 2 individuals would have seen my 46 in high def tv , the blue ray player , the bose surround sound amongst other valuables so for you to say that is just plain STUPID

• Like 3

I'd be proud of my girl if she handled it in the exact same way. I am not worried about a 200lbs guy rushing her. I'm 200lbs and if I piss her off enough she can take me :icon_mrgreen: I rather risk it and step outside and be friendly than talk to people through a door. If it ever got that bad around here where I wasn't comfortable stepping outside my own home I would move immediately. This of course is just my personal thoughts on the matter, to each their own.

Anyways kudos to your wife for having the right mindset. That is the most important part. The details of how one chooses to handle a situation is always up for Monday night quarterbacking. Be proud she had her head in the game, only you and her can nit pick the details as you know yourselves and situation better than anyone.

• Like 5

First off you dont know me or my wife or where we live , you dont know what the enviroment is like i live in OR what my wife was thinking SO that said ,if she stays behind the full glass door the 2 individuals would have seen my 46 in high def tv , the blue ray player , the bose surround sound amongst other valuables so for you to say that is just plain STUPID

So, what do you value more, your hi-def TV or your wife? Plain and simple, her stepping outside was the dumbest thing she could have done. No idea why you're getting all pissed at me, ten other people are all saying the same thing.

• Like 3

So, what do you value more, your hi-def TV or your wife? Plain and simple, her stepping outside was the dumbest thing she could have done. No idea why you're getting all pissed at me, ten other people are all saying the same thing.

and yet you are the only one sounding "like" an a$$ saying it :blink:

• Like 6

As 67gtonut says , theres no need to be a a** about it , its my wife you idiot , she acted appropriately , she looked through the glass door , they seemed not to be a threat ,they were young women, she stood outside where god forbid if something happened she could scream so our neighbors would hear , after she thought something was weird she locked up set the alarm and went and got the gun ready to defend herself , in my opinion thats pretty impressive for a woman WHO IS NOT A TOTALL GUN NUT ,so maybe next time before you critisize somebody for being PROUD of the way his wife reacted you think before you write something

• Like 1

I agree. She likely would have been safer if she did not open the door. That being said.....I still think she did a great job. Granted, I keep the doors and windows locked ANYWAY. But that is not the point. Your wife reacted in a way that ensured she was ready for most situations. If my girlfriend reacted that way after the fact, I would as well be proud of her.

• Like 1

while his message may be one that you are taking harshly due to the way he is conveying it.. while you may feel comfortable in your neighborhood.. it is better to not open the door at all.. I am not trying to tell you how to live.. how to feel.. or what to do.. patting her on the back for what she did after locking down the house is deserved.. she did exactly what she should have.. but avoiding the obvious fact that she could have become the victim of an insane amount of violence is foolish.. don't let your pride in her cloud reality.. yeah.. she did good tell her that.. but if you care about her safety.. tell her not to open the door for strangers.. especially at night.. not because we want to hurt her feelings or yours.. but because we don't want to read about a bunch of stolen guns ending up on the street.. or worse yet.. another innocent family butchered... the reason I said what I said was NOT to hurt your "e-feelings" but instead because I care..

• Like 1

while his message may be one that you are taking harshly due to the way he is conveying it.. while you may feel comfortable in your neighborhood.. it is better to not open the door at all.. I am not trying to tell you how to live.. how to feel.. or what to do.. patting her on the back for what she did after locking down the house is deserved.. she did exactly what she should have.. but avoiding the obvious fact that she could have become the victim of an insane amount of violence is foolish.. don't let your pride in her cloud reality.. yeah.. she did good tell her that.. but if you care about her safety.. tell her not to open the door for strangers.. especially at night.. not because we want to hurt her feelings or yours.. but because we don't want to read about a bunch of stolen guns ending up on the street.. or worse yet.. another innocent family butchered... the reason I said what I said was NOT to hurt your "e-feelings" but instead because I care..

Trust me when ever you post something on here you have to be able to take the good and the bad and with that said i DO appreciate all the positive comments , believe me i did tell next time not to open the door but with the way it went down i was proud of her reaction after the fact and yes next time i think she would act differently by not opening the door !!!

• Like 2

Trust me when ever you post something on here you have to be able to take the good and the bad and with that said i DO appreciate all the positive comments , believe me i did tell next time not to open the door but with the way it went down i was proud of her reaction after the fact and yes next time i think she would act differently by not opening the door !!!

I figured as much.. just wanted to be clear as to why I was "Monday night quarterbacking" :icon_e_wink:

• Like 1

can you see out the door without opening it ?

We have a solid steel storm door but in front of it is a glass door so it is possible to open the storm door and keep the glass door locked and that is what we have talked about

I'm glad to see she handled it well.

I'd like to add something. Remind your family members, on a regular basis, that they need to be careful. Watch out for habits that could compromise their safety. Little things like going downstairs/upstairs and leaving a door unlocked, being in the yard where you can't see an unlocked door.... you get the idea. Just be careful! Also, never assume juveniles aren't dangerous. My mother-in-law was murdered. She was beaten and stabbed by a 13 year old.

(and the little b**** got only ten years. she's down to 7 1/2 years 'cause she makes her bed and brushes her teeth)

We have a solid steel storm door but in front of it is a glass door so it is possible to open the storm door and keep the glass door locked and that is what we have talked about

ok, i have the same problem, cannot see who is their, I need to work on that..

My mother-in-law was murdered. She was beaten and stabbed by a 13 year old.

(and the little b**** got only ten years. she's down to 7 1/2 years 'cause she makes her bed and brushes her teeth)

Was she charged as an adult? And I assume this was not in NJ....sorry to hear that, wow, just goes to show what f'ed up times we live in.

Was she charged as an adult? And I assume this was not in NJ....sorry to hear that, wow, just goes to show what f'ed up times we live in.

It was in NJ.

She could not be charged as an adult because she was thirteen. NJ law mandates that the offender must be 14 before their juvenile status can be waived. We tried to have that law changed and a bill was introduced that would have eliminated that age mandate, in the case of 'heinous' crimes. My mother-in-law's case was heinous. The details would make you sick. As if that wasn't bad enough, this girl took a shower, watched TV and made herself dinner while stepping over my mother-in-law. Although it would not have changed the case I speak of, it might have changed things for some other family. We worked hard, had good public and legislative support but could not get the bill past the Attorney General. I actually received a letter from the Attorney General's office stating that options suggested for the bill 'were just too difficult'.

At the girl's sentencing, the judge scolded her for forty-five minutes and told her how lucky she was that she was only thirteen. He said that he and his law clerk spent many hours trying to find a way to waive her juvenile status. Then, he turned to us, and said "please make something good come from this. Work to change the law" We tried for several years but could not get that bill out of committee to a vote.

Sorry... didn't mean to alter the thread and get on my soapbox. I'm just so F******* mad about it.

• Like 1