Sign in to follow this  
vladtepes

Out of sstate long gun purchse..

Make sure to check state laws. Some states haw "contigous states" laws in that residents of that state may only purchase in bordering states, and residents of bordering states may purchase in that state.

For example. Residents of New Mexico can purchase a long gun in TX, OK, CO, UT and AZ, and residents of TX, OK, CO, UT and AZ may purchase a gun in NM. But a resident of, say, Nebraska (or any other state) could not purchase a long gun in NM.

Many states have laws like this, I know North Carolina and Ohio do.

Make sure to check state laws. Some states haw "contigous states" laws in that residents of that state may only purchase in bordering states, and residents of bordering states may purchase in that state.

For example. Residents of New Mexico can purchase a long gun in TX, OK, CO, UT and AZ, and residents of TX, OK, CO, UT and AZ may purchase a gun in NM. But a resident of, say, Nebraska (or any other state) could not purchase a long gun in NM.

I am sure if you went into a store in another state that was not "contigous" with NJ they will not sell to you. That would be the dealers responsibility not the buyers.

Bring copies of the NJ COE with you.

It's a good idea to have them but I've never had an out of state FFL ask for them. The COE is a NJ form that the out of state FFL really doesn't have to maintain (although some will).

I am sure if you went into a store in another state that was not "contigous" with NJ they will not sell to you

Not so. At least in CO and MD. I think Wal Mart has a "contiguous state" policy.

Some states haw "contigous states" laws in that residents of that state may only purchase in bordering states, and residents of bordering states may purchase in that state

These are left over from when states changed their laws to come in compliance with the GCA of 68.

I've been told conflicting information on this.

I was in Las Vegas and Kentucky and was told in both places that the ATF was behind this "contigous states" rule, and that they have gone back and forth on this rule several times.

I have had dealers in PA tell me they never heard of this rule.

Maybe there is an FFL on the site that can clarify this for us.

Thanks for posting those ATF newsletters.

If the "contigous states" rule hasn't been in effect since 1986 I wonder why I keep hearing it.

Maybe the dealers hear "NJ" and don't want to get involved - they still need to be sure the guns are legal here.

Maybe the dealers hear "NJ" and don't want to get involved - they still need to be sure the guns are legal here.

I have experienced this. I was in PA and a guy wouldnt sell me an AR15 stripped lower......then another guy was willing to do it for $10.

I have experienced this. I was in PA and a guy wouldnt sell me an AR15 stripped lower......then another guy was willing to do it for $10.

I may be totally wrong.. but doesnt that have something to do with some people thinking that stripped lowers might be considered pistols since in a free state you can have an AR pistol?

I may be totally wrong.. but doesnt that have something to do with some people thinking that stripped lowers might be considered pistols since in a free state you can have an AR pistol?

That was a different ATF rule, or new "interpretation" of the existing rules that began at the beginning of last year.

You must now buy stripped lowers and pistol grip shotguns in your home state.

Lowers with stocks attached and shotguns with folding stocks can still be bought out of state.

• Like 1

It is Federal Law. Only long guns can be purchased out of state. A receiver is not a long gun.

So then the bottom line being..

A completed long gun can be purchased out of state and brought home to NJ providing it is NJ legal..

A "lower" or "pistol" must be purchased in my home state...

is that pretty much the situation?

So then the bottom line being..

A completed long gun can be purchased out of state and brought home to NJ providing it is NJ legal..

A "lower" or "pistol" must be purchased in my home state...

is that pretty much the situation?

A lower with a stock attached (and nothing more) can be purchased out of state.

Your government bureaucracy in action.

A lower with a stock attached (and nothing more) can be purchased out of state.

Your government bureaucracy in action.

I don't think this is correct. It would have to be a complete firearm. I tried to purchase an AR complete lower, with an A2 stock in PA and the dealer (knowledgeable in EBR's as they are a large part of his business) said that it had to be handled the same as an out-of-state handgun purchase 0 that is: shipped to an FFL in your home state and received through them. The law does not make a distinction whether there is a stock attached or not - it is a receiver, period. I think this has only changed recently, with the addition of the "receiver" box on the 4473.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't think this is correct. It would have to be a complete firearm. I tried to purchase an AR complete lower, with an A2 stock in PA and the dealer (knowledgeable in EBR's as they are a large part of his business) said that it had to be handled the same as an out-of-state handgun purchase 0 that is: shipped to an FFL in your home state and received through them. The law does not make a distinction whether there is a stock attached or not - it is a receiver, period. I think this has only changed recently, with the addition of the "receiver" box on the 4473.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I was told by dealers in PA it can be sold that way, but I'm not surprised to here conflicting info on this issue.