Pizza Bob

Chinese Optics

I have railed against cheap, Chinese optics many times on this and other forums. Usually with good cause that was born out by posters relating their experiences with many different brands that had their point of origin in common. Today I looked at such a scope and was sorely tempted. This was a Konus M30 4.5-16x40, 30mm tube with illum mildot reticle (2nd focal plane). Here...

http://www.impactgun...8156072806.html

This is certainly a step above the Barskas, Ospreys and NcStars out there. Closer to something like a Millett. In my research, I have found that they use Japanese glass with assembly in China. Most reviews and personal experiences with them are favorable, usually comparing the clarity to much more expensive glass. Other factors like "squaring the box", accuracy and positivity of adjustment are also well spoken of. I'm still wary. This is a used scope, from a trusted source, but I feel his asking price is still too high for a Chinese optic. I want to buy it for about $100 off what I can get a new one for on the Internet - that would assuage my reservations somewhat, and if it takes a dump, I won't be out a pile of dough.

I'd like to know if anyone on here has any experience with Konus' products, and am I being realistic about what I want to pay?

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: The scope will be mounted on this...

ebrlr.jpg

The scope currently mounted (unbranded Bushnell 3200 level scope 8-24x42) is destined for a .22-250 varmint rifle that is taking up space in my safe and is currently underscoped.

I guess we'll find out. Seller contacted me Wednesday and we reached agreement on the price. I pick it up Monday. Will have to buy rings and then I'll swap the scopes around. Two guns to sight-in. Oh happy day :icon_e_biggrin:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

konusm30.jpg

sooo... You are supporting the communist and supporting copy stuff... I rather buy american made with warranty.

Someone gave you a negative for this comment? I gotta fix that.

sooo... You are supporting the communist and supporting copy stuff... I rather buy american made with warranty.

No offense, but some of the best glass comes out of that region of the world, and with it comes a decent price. I dont see the copy argument either, were not talking about a scope that has a manufactures name on it, which didnt make it. I'm not about buying cheap knockoffs, but cheap doesn't mean knockoff. I'll give you a very close analogy, Acura makes the best xenon projectors you can buy, and the quality comes from the glass they use. BMW Mercedes all of the high end cars don't even come close to the clarity there projectors use, yet they cost on avg, 2x the price.... To me its an easy decision, to patriots they will always believe American is better. So you can be a realist, and say well if American companies want my money they better show me why they deserve it. I just bought an EOtech, main reason, they sold me on there product and i noticed that the price tag was worth it. The communist place you speak of is the reason they have great prices, aside from cheap labor, they are allowed to make the same product as the guy across the street, which enables pricing competition. Something that lacks in the states. That in its own is a whole can of worms i wish not to get into. Why not take advantage of the fact that we can get good stuff for cheap, and still live in a great place, not to mention half those companies are US companies and just outsource.

• Like 1