Sign in to follow this  
s8n

Prescription Shooting glasses

I have come to the conclusion that my eyes aren't as sharp as I would like to believe . I used to only need glasses for driving at night,but now i think it might be beneficial to my shooting.Does anyone have a suggestion for a pair of prescription shooting glasses. I'm not really a fan of the oakley styles. Does anyone just use their everyday glasses?

If you are going to get prescription shooting glasses, pick the style of frame that you like best. Since shooting glasses are about protection, as well as vision, it would be best to pick a style with large lenses. I'm assuming single vision prescription. Make sure that your optician knows what's the intended use of these glasses. The optical centers ahould be raised, above where they are with regular glasses. Ideally, your optician is a shooter also, or is forgiving (and private) enough that he will let you be looking over sights when he takes the dimension for the OC's.

If you have bi- or trifocal vision, my advice would be to get Varilux lenses. Then a simple tilting of the head will get you in the proper focal plane to be able to see your sights.

Furthermore, I suggest you stay away from the mall-type opticians, and if you are getting multiple vision type lenses, get real Varilux, not someone's generic equivalent, JMO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have come to the conclusion that my eyes aren't as sharp as I would like to believe . I used to only need glasses for driving at night,but now i think it might be beneficial to my shooting.Does anyone have a suggestion for a pair of prescription shooting glasses. I'm not really a fan of the oakley styles. Does anyone just use their everyday glasses?

I have a pair of prescription Titmus safety glasses from work. They got bought out by Uvex though and I don't know who our contract is through now.

I used to wear glasses, and I would were a pair of safety glasses that go over your regular glasses. Even though it wasn't the best looking set-up, my eyes were safe and that's what counts.

My recommendation, LASIK.

I used to wear glasses, and I would were a pair of safety glasses that go over your regular glasses. Even though it wasn't the best looking set-up, my eyes were safe and that's what counts.

Are your eyes LASIK'ed? If so, I would like to talk to you ...

I have the ESS RX version. They are adequate. Their modular nature is nice, but the double lense set up is prone to smudging and a slight hassle to clean.

On the upside they do offer RX protection at a lower price point.

I usually only use them for indoor shooting and use my Oakleys for outdoor.

I had Lasik done about 10 years ago,and my eyes are starting to age . I went for a consultation about a touchup procedure , but it would require that i wear reading glasses for all up close vision, which I do not need now. My vision is 20/25 which is fine for most things,but lacking for shooting sports.

I really like the look of the ranger XLW model. Where did you get the prescription inserts made? The randolf site say it does not have prescription services.

They don't. You'll need to find an optomertrist who deals with them. There's a dealer search function on the Randolph site. I don't know how current or complete it is.

Get oakleys that are impact rated. clear or tinted with your Rx.

Edit: I need to learn to read.. you don't like oakley style.

The ESS i believe can have an Rx put in them. Give them a look.

The ESS system only works if you have a pretty light RX. I am -4.5 and tried them, the RX lense insert hit the protective lenses and distorted vision badly. I wound up with a pair of Randolph Engineering Sporter glasses. They are a little pricey but work very well and the lenses are large enough to give you a sense that your eyes are protected.

I got mine in Brick at Eyesfirst Vision Center (no assoiation)

I wear Rudy Project Rydons: http://www.e-rudy.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=11&item_id=SN790914 with Rx Impactx photochromic lenses and I am happy with them. I also have a pair of red non-rx lenses for that frame. Keep in mind that distance rx lenses may make it difficult to focus on the front sight.

-