Sign in to follow this  
vjf915

1911 itch...

And I want to scratch it!! I have been getting the itch for a 1911 in .45acp for a little while now. With Christmas and tax returns coming up, I will hopefully have the funds to at least START scratching this. I REALLY want a two tone, stainless frame, black slide, stainless barrel. I have considered building it so I know I am getting what I want, but am unsure if this is the correct route. Would this be similar to building an AR, you get what you want and save some money doing it? If so, then I am all for it. The intended use of this will be for HD for now, so I would like to get a frame with a rail so I can attach a light if I decide to. When it gets warmer, I would like to get into some multigun or similar pistol competitions such as USPSA. So I would like to focus on both accuracy, and reliability. I would like to stick around the $800 price range, but would be willing to spend closer to, or above $1000 if necessary. I have done some looking around, but am not sure what would best suit my needs. Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.

See cagefighters thread for 1911 recommendations, however for USPSA... you do not want a 1911 in a 45, unless it is target gun.

In production division, there is no advantage for larger calibers.

In Limited and Limited 10, you are going to be outgunned by 40 caliber 1911's, 2011's, and pimped out XD's, CZ's, etc.

Only division would be single stack, where you are limited to 8 round mags. Limited 10, you can compete with your 1911 in 45... but will not really be competitive.

I had already looked in that thread, as well as the "Which 1911 do you swear by?". Neither seemed to be in line with actually BUILDING one, more buying one. That is the aspect I wish to discuss, building one. If a single stack in .45acp is not really a viable option for competition in general.....what are my options as far as double stack? Or possibly having a separate "upper" (slide, barrel) in 9mm or .40s&w?

Contact shane45, he builds 1911's. =)

Now dont get me wrong, a 45 acp is fine, and plenty of people shoot them, however limited is ruled by 40 caliber 1911's and 2011's (double stack 1911), and open is ruled by race 2011's shooting 9mm major or 38 super/comp

However it will take a bit to get to the point where the gun is holding you back.

The 1911 would not be my end all be all gun for competitions....but would be what I would use as this would be my first pistol. I definitely think that I would get an idea of which pistol would suit me better before my talents grew up to the capabilities of the 1911. I just sent Shane a PM. Thanks for the time and advice, greatly appreciated.

I had already looked in that thread, as well as the "Which 1911 do you swear by?". Neither seemed to be in line with actually BUILDING one, more buying one. That is the aspect I wish to discuss, building one. If a single stack in .45acp is not really a viable option for competition in general.....what are my options as far as double stack? Or possibly having a separate "upper" (slide, barrel) in 9mm or .40s&w?

Don't be offended by me asking, but can you actually do all the work required to build a 1911? Not just slapping together some parts and getting it to "work", but actually building one? For the amount of money you want to spend you can pick up a fairly decent 1911. If you want a double stack, look at doubling the price. I won't bother listing all the options but you have seen them in other threads. A single stack 1911 in .45acp is still a highly competitive gun in competition. You can use it in IDPA, USPSA in single stack, L-10, and Limited if want to. I happen to have 1911's in .45acp and 40s&w and 2011's in 40s&w and 9major open. I have used them all in USPSA, Bullseye, Steel, 2x4 matches, and PPC and have done well. But What it all boils down to is how "good" is the shooter with the gun he/she has.

Im not offended at all by you asking. I am a pretty handy guy, so unless this is something that only a certified gunsmith could accomplish, I am definitely willing to give it a try. Im assuming there are some guides online just like there are for AR15s. If double stack is roughly twice the price, then I will take that out of the equation.

Here are a couple things I was looking at though.....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=52106/sku/Standard_Receiver

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/32506-1911-auto-frame-parts-kit-cs-frame-parts-kit-wilson-combat.html

And it seems from there all I would need is a barrel and slide. I couldnt find any blued barrels on Brownells, they were out of stock.....and picking out a barrel would be a little over my head right now.

Edit: I also found what looks to be decent information on the Brownells site, I'll be looking at this to see if building is a viable option. Any other recommendations are welcome though.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12537/GunTechdetail/Building_A_1911___Part_I

You might want to consider getting a matched frame and slide. It will take some of the "hard" work out.

I dont mind hard work or time spent, as long as it is something I am actually capable of doing. Thats my concern. If this is a project that someone with a lot of experience should be doing, then its probably over my head. However if its something that someone who is handy can do, I am willing to attempt it. However if getting matched frame and slide will help, I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the recommendation.