ronhonda

USPSA @ Old Bridge 11/28/10

Vin, if he was not using a comp barrel.... I dont know if it would of turn out that way.... so far as we know, barrel is in one piece... however when he gets home and tries to get it out... we shall see if it is in pieces... there are pics around... I am sure someone will be posting them.

We managed to take the gun apart and it appears that the only damage was to the barrel which completely split in half. The frame and slide appear to be in good shape. As soon as we get the stock barrel from Tony, we will put it back together and test it. If it is all good, going to order a new KKM barrel and be back in business.

Not even, Ryan I think sped up the video. It actually took me 45 seconds to shoot that stage.

I didn't make that video go faster. That was your real speed! That stage is too short for an experienced shooter like yourself to take 45 second.

Ryan

I didn't make that video go faster. That was your real speed! That stage is too short for an experienced shooter like yourself to take 45 second.

Ryan

I know just busting chops. I actually could have shot that stage faster. But it was the 1st stage of the day, and that is usually my practice.

I know just busting chops. I actually could have shot that stage faster. But it was the 1st stage of the day, and that is usually my practice.

Hey Ron,

If you don't mind, hypothetically speaking, let's say you're a new shooter and wants to start being competitive for USPSA and have $1600, which gun would you buy? Let's say less then $2000 for a gun. Cheaper the better. Let's say he doesn't want to reload and wants to keep cost down on ammo.

Just wondering what your opinion is on this.

Thanks.

Ryan

Hey Ron,

If you don't mind, hypothetically speaking, let's say you're a new shooter and wants to start being competitive for USPSA and have $1600, which gun would you buy? Let's say less then $2000 for a gun. Cheaper the better. Let's say he doesn't want to reload and wants to keep cost down on ammo.

Just wondering what your opinion is on this.

Thanks.

Ryan

So no reloading at all and trying to keep cost down? Tough one. I would consider 2 options both costing around $700 for the gun. An 1911 STI Spartan and a polymer pistol like a Glock, XD, or M&P. The 1911 is in my opinion the best gun ever made. Period! The Spartan is competitively priced at around $650 give or take a few dollars. The customer service that STI offers is 2nd to none, and they support USPSA. Mags can be found on the cheap, but QUALITY mags are the way to go. You can get it in 9mm or 45acp and if money savings is the issue, 9mm is the way to go. If you go polymer, you can buy a gun, mags, holster, mag pouches, belt, and whatever other small parts for about $1000. The rest of the money you can use to buy ammo. So giving you this little bit, I would recommend a polymer gun in 40s&w. With the 40, you can shoot production, limited 10, and limited with hardly any changes at all. Any shooter who wants to shoot USPSA, IDPA, or any other discipline, that goes through large amounts of ammo, will need to reload at some point. The amount of money you will spend on factory ammo will hurt the wallet. Yes you will spend a few bucks getting set up to reload, but the money you spend on components will let you shoot more. Your ammo will be custom to your choosing. (less recoil, better accuracy)

45 acp will be more expensive with a 1911 and polymer gun. 40s&w for a polymer is the best option because as you continue and try/shoot other divisions, you can use the same gun and be able to compete within the rules.

Hope this helps.

Wolfy, as much as I love the gun, I know I shoot it... it is not the best choice for a uspsa gun that is competitive in numerous divisions. Only place it is is in single stack division. In production you cannot shoot it, as it is a Sao. In limited and limited 10, you are giving up extra points in the power factor. Hence why 40 cal rules limited and L10.

Go with a S&W 1911 Pro Series in 9MM. Buy mags a holster and you are all set. The Pro Series are designed for competition.

How can you go wrong with the 1911 platform and the inexpensive 9MM.

You can when the retail price, correct if I am wrong is more than doubled that of a Spartan. I am not knocking it, but for a new shooter trying to stay on the cheap not the way to go. Many people are liking this gun due to the quality, low cost, and the company offering it.

Spartan list for $698 but I have seen them for $625. S&W 1911 Pro Series in 9MM List for $1489. Take the difference and buy gear and ammo.

Wolfy, as much as I love the gun, I know I shoot it... it is not the best choice for a uspsa gun that is competitive in numerous divisions. Only place it is is in single stack division. In production you cannot shoot it, as it is a Sao. In limited and limited 10, you are giving up extra points in the power factor. Hence why 40 cal rules limited and L10.

Aside for scoring, the main reason IMO is mag capacity and cost. You can run a "limited" gun in L-10 and Limited. Just load the mags accordingly. In limited, the 40 has a greater mag capacity over the 45. Cost, a case of 40 180 gr heads cost around $290-$300 from MG (2500 in case) 45acp will run you about the same but with 500-600 heads less per case. So if I have to choose, I would rather shoot the 40 over the 45.

Maybe if my budget allows an sti ranger II. Just planning for now so I know how much to save up.

Consider a Trojan. Only because the Ranger has a bull barrel. And a bull barrel would not be legal in singlestack division.

Get a bushing barreled gun.

Also if and when you are ready to buy, consider Dawson Precision. They go over the gun and you can upgrade to some options from them. And they are the biggest STI dealer in the country.

one guy told me not to use my gun to knock the door open (why would I free up a hand to push a door? I have a gun barrel extending 6in from my hand!)

The reason you do not use the barrel is that you can slightly unlock the gun and the gun will not fire. It can also cause a serious death jam if the slide alone drags on the door, window or port and you will get a nice double feed.