orly?

Manalapan Police Department's Outrageous Handgun Permit Application; Is this Legal??

Recently I was interesting in picking up two more handguns and I decided to stop by my local Manalapan Police Department office to pick up the application forms so I can receive another two handgun permits. I have had a State FID card issued from this police department in the past as well as a few handgun permits over these last few years. For my previous handgun permit applications, I had to fill out the required NJ State Police Application for Firearms Purchaser ID Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit, complete the Consent For Mental Health Records Search form, and also fill out two other supplemental forms from the police department regarding my previous residency for the last ten years as well as a form with questions regarding any previous domestic violence incidents. I know they are probably not supposed to ask for those two supplemental forms but they did not really bother me in the past and I didn't really mind filling them out previously.

Sometime this year my police department decided to add two more forms to their handgun application process and also required that the Consent for Mental Health Records Search form be notarized. At first I was just a little annoyed that I had to waste more of my time with additional paper work and also trying to find time to get the the Mental Health Record Search document notirized. One of the additional forms requested a list of all the residents that live in my house along with their date of births. I guess I am OK with this form...but it is probably not really necessary. The other new form they require me to fill out I found almost draconian in nature compared to what the state laws are regarding handgun applications. Unless something has changed in regards to the handgun permit application laws that I am not aware of, I did not know that my police department can require me to sign and notarize this attached document which seems invasive and unwarranted given that they have already approved me for permits in the past.

What are all of your thoughts on this?

Thanks

ORLY?

Member of NJ2AS and CJRPC

post-2527-048009200 1290478835_thumb.jpg

Guest megaman

Recently I was interesting in picking up two more handguns and I decided to stop by my local Manalapan Police Department office to pick up the application forms so I can receive another two handgun permits. I have had a State FID card issued from this police department in the past as well as a few handgun permits over these last few years. For my previous handgun permit applications, I had to fill out the required NJ State Police Application for Firearms Purchaser ID Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit, complete the Consent For Mental Health Records Search form, and also fill out two other supplemental forms from the police department regarding my previous residency for the last ten years as well as a form with questions regarding any previous domestic violence incidents. I know they are probably not supposed to ask for those two supplemental forms but they did not really bother me in the past and I didn't really mind filling them out previously.

Sometime this year my police department decided to add two more forms to their handgun application process and also required that the Consent for Mental Health Records Search form be notarized. At first I was just a little annoyed that I had to waste more of my time with additional paper work and also trying to find time to get the the Mental Health Record Search document notirized. One of the additional forms requested a list of all the residents that live in my house along with their date of births. I guess I am OK with this form...but it is probably not really necessary. The other new form they require me to fill out I found almost draconian in nature compared to what the state laws are regarding handgun applications. Unless something has changed in regards to the handgun permit application laws that I am not aware of, I did not know that my police department can require me to sign and notarize this attached document which seems invasive and unwarranted given that they have already approved me for permits in the past.

What are all of your thoughts on this?

Thanks

ORLY?

Member of NJ2AS and CJRPC

The form is total bs and what you need to do is when you wake up tomorrow call the NJSP firearms investigation division. Tell them about the additional forms, give them the phone number for the permitting detectives and all relevant details. Ask for Sgt Fortunado.

Sit back and watch the forms go away in short order....

http://njsp.org/divorg/invest/firearms-invest-unit.html

The form is total bs and what you need to do is when you wake up tomorrow call the NJSP firearms investigation division. Tell them about the additional forms, give them the phone number for the permitting detectives and all relevant details. Ask for Sgt Fortunado.

Sit back and watch the forms go away in short order....

http://njsp.org/divorg/invest/firearms-invest-unit.html

Thanks megaman, I appreciate your help. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Guest megaman

Can you post that as a pdf? I would like to look into that.

Thanks.

Just reduce the size of your screen using CTRL and the - symbol at the same time..

I would definitely do as megaman said. That form is a blatant abuse of power and authority. They should need no more than the standard forms to initiate their background investigation. Last thing you want is for them to contact friends, family and your employer stating that they are investigating you and not giving cause. It sounds like the lunatics are running the asylum in your town.

Guest megaman

I tried to convert this file but it would not allow me to upload it for some reason. Maybe file size limits?

I would also not have filled it out and told them that the only forms they require is the NJ 33 and 66...yes by not complying with them you will have a delay (welcome to NJ) but you will make them aware you know your rights and what is legal and intend to call the NJSP firearms division to give them a refresher, and if you pose it to them in this manner, they will most likely agree, and take the forms away.

I know some say that my approach is aggressive when dealing with the local PD, once you throw that 'Ill call the NJSP Firearms Div because I know the law and you are breaking it' they usually stop breaking the law.

My opinion is when dealing with face to face, you need to assert yourself in a professional manner to the police.

• Like 1

I had to deal with similar BS with my dept. They wanted access to credit reports as well. I chose not to fill that form out when I dropped off my permit applications. I got my permits in 26 days.

2C:58-3 (f) There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

My opinion is: If it's not in the chapter they CANNOT ask for it. I think Megaman has the right idea. Above is the proof. I called the NJSP and was told local municipalities can ask for whatever they want. i didn't have the above in front of me to quote when I called. I printed it out from here and highlighted the above part when I went to drop off my permit applications.

I am the only one who thinks you should fill out the form.. take the form and get a black sharpie.. and write "2C:58-3 (f) There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter." on the front of the form.. and then just hand it in.. with a smile..

I had to deal with similar BS with my dept. They wanted access to credit reports as well. I chose not to fill that form out when I dropped off my permit applications. I got my permits in 26 days.

2C:58-3 (f) There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

My opinion is: If it's not in the chapter they CANNOT ask for it. I think Megaman has the right idea. Above is the proof. I called the NJSP and was told local municipalities can ask for whatever they want. i didn't have the above in front of me to quote when I called. I printed it out from here and highlighted the above part when I went to drop off my permit applications.

Thanks. I will try the same approach with my PD and let everyone know what the outcome is.

I am the only one who thinks you should fill out the form.. take the form and get a black sharpie.. and write "2C:58-3 (f) There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter." on the front of the form.. and then just hand it in.. with a smile..

Well that would definitely get your point across. :icon_lol: You just need the 33 & 66. There is a form for permission to release prints if you want more when you want more pistol permits. That is the only other form you need to sign besides 33 & 66.

Guest megaman

Thanks. I will try the same approach with my PD and let everyone know what the outcome is.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I would go back with copies of the two required forms.... and a copy of the statues that says no other forms shall be required.

Did you get your FID in Manalapan? Or your FID is outdated now too as it was issued elsewhere?

I would go back with copies of the two required forms.... and a copy of the statues that says no other forms shall be required.

Did you get your FID in Manalapan? Or your FID is outdated now too as it was issued elsewhere?

Yes, my FID was issued in Manalapan and I have been a resident there since then.