Sign in to follow this  
NJdiverTony

Is there a waiting period in NJ?

Nope, no waiting period. The only exception is if you are purchasing multiple handguns, then you can only buy 1 a month(every 30 days)

I wonder if an FFL will allow you to pay for 2 handguns at once (in hopes of getting a price break) and hold the 2nd gun for the 30 days?

I wonder if an FFL will allow you to pay for 2 handguns at once (in hopes of getting a price break) and hold the 2nd gun for the 30 days?

Depending on the FFL, they might even help you file an exemption so you can take both guns home at the same time (Armsnammo did it).

...is there a waiting period to take delivery of a handgun in NJ...

Yeah, the 4 weeks to 6 months it takes to get a P2P.

I'm amazed that we are so conditioned to the draconian measures forced on us by the state, that we don't view this as a waiting period. In the free world, you can walk into a gun store with nothing more than your DL and walk out with whatever handgun or longarm your wallet will allow.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yeah, the 4 weeks to 6 months it takes to get a P2P.

I'm amazed that we are so conditioned to the draconian measures forced on us by the state, that we don't view this as a waiting period. In the free world, you can walk into a gun store with nothing more than your DL and walk out with whatever handgun or longarm your wallet will allow.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If you didn't post this first, this is exactly what I was going to post. I would rather wait 3 days.

I'm trying real hard not to look at handguns for sale in places I frequent, but it's not possible. I swore I'd never put a gun on hold again until I have permits in hand, but came close to doing it several times since I applied for permits in September. The SS S&W 686 at the range, and the Ruger GP100 in the marketplace here, are both reaching out to me to take them home.

Honestly, Shore Shot was great with regard to storing my gun while I waited 18 weeks for my permits to arrive, but it still wasn't pleasant having unfinished business. I like to complete the sale, and take it home.

Actually by law there is a waiting period of 7 days.

2C:58-2a(5)(a) Such person possesses and exhibits a valid permit to purchase a firearm and at least seven days have elapsed since the date of application for the permit;

But with the 30 day (yeah right) turn around it becomes a moot point.

But theoretically if the PD turns a permit application around in 3 days and you buy a gun the day you get the permits you are violating the law.