Radek

1911 - please post pics

Today, I went to Rahway firearms guild and looked at a few 1911's. In the used section they had a bunch, fondled a few. This place is not known for best prices, but they have lots to look at!

Para Ord, LDA's, as well as single and double stack (15rds!) $550 and up; LDA is pretty unique, worth looking into (can't find on their site)

Springfield hi-cap, double stack (had 10rds, but can take 15rd mags) $600, but trigger was just bad

Remington - looked plain, but the price was decent for a new gun (I think $600)

New Colt's & S&W's were the most expensive

Well, I left w/ 100 target rds of 45acp for $45 ...

I have never owned a 1911 (shot a few) and might be my next.

Till then, please post pics of what you have. I will start will this ... nice gun for the money, except for the plastic trigger.

Spartan_Det1.jpg

• Like 1

Colt Combat Elite Series 80. G-10 grips, lo-mount Bomars and trigger job with Videcki trigger. Modifications by Les Baer

dsc00862sp.jpg

Sig Sauer Nitron RCS, Davidson G-10 grips, otherwise all stock

dsc00911zy.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Guest megaman

Kimber Grand Raptor

Kimber Super Carry Pro

STI Trojan 5.0

Ed Brown Classic Custom

FA8.jpg

FA9.jpg

FA10.jpg

FA11.jpg

Wilson CQB Elite with Carry Cuts

FA12.jpg

FA13.jpg

Les Baer SRP Hard Chrome with 1.5" Guarantee (1.5"@50yd)

FA14.jpg

FA15.jpg

Colt Series 70 Reproduction

FA16.jpg

Ed Brown Classic Custom and Springfield EMP in 9mm

FA17.jpg

Kimber and Smith Wesson do use an external extractor... ftw. but Smith's actually works.

Didn't Kimber go back to an internal extractor when they couldn't get the external one to work? Sig also uses external extractors on their 1911's (successfully).

Guys, any opinions on single stack vs. double? I have handled a double stack and although it's a bit fat, they feel fine in my large hands ...

I love my double stacks.

I also love my singlestacks.

I would get both if possible.

Will post some pics when I get a chance.

@autoxnyc, like the Wilson for the cool single tone, grip not so much ... btw. what type of sights are those on the other guns?

The Ed Brown comes with adjustable rear sight.. not sure if it's proprietary or Bo-Mar.

Colt comes with fixed sights, they have made them taller on the reproduction gun as compared to the original series 70.

The Les Baer came with Novak type Trijicons which I thought was crap. I have changed them to Hilton Yam 10-8 rear sight you see here and Dawson Precision Tritium front sight which has a much more visible white insert around the Tritium tube.

The EMP has Trijicon sights which also is crap. The rear inserts all too visible compared to the front and make the tiny front sight impossible to pick up. I want to have that gun sent to Harrison Custom to get it completely redone and I want to put the same sight Combo I have on the Les.

Guest megaman

Kimber and Smith Wesson do use an external extractor... ftw. but Smith's actually works.

S&W's actually work.

Has anyone seen the Sig 1911 C3? That thing sure is purdy..wondering how it shoots

Pronoun:

Post #2 in this thread shows my RCS, which is the Sig Custom Shop version of the C3. Only difference is the melt job and the finish (C3 only available as a tu-tone). It shoots great.

Pronoun:

Post #2 in this thread shows my RCS, which is the Sig Custom Shop version of the C3. Only difference is the melt job and the finish (C3 only available as a tu-tone). It shoots great.

What's a melt job?

Nice analogy ... so, this melt job is done at the factory, not after ...

It can be done after, but it is more cost effective to have it done at the factory while the gun is being built. Aftermarket would entail complete disassembly and refinishing. From the factory it adds about $70 to the retail, I haven't checked, but I would bet at least double that, if not more, in the aftermarket.

Damn, you guys have some beautiful 1911's. I don't have pictures of mine (yet), but I have a Kimber Compact Stainless II, a Springfield EMP 9mm, and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I think if I had saved the money I spent on all three of those, I could have had a sizable down payment for one of those Wilson's. :icon_eek:

So far my fav's in terms of looks are below. I like simple ...

Colt Govt, Combat, etc

STI

Taurus PT911

S&W Pro

Wilson Elite

Lots of expensive gear here! but I am going to start off with a used but reliable one. Of course, I will need to try out several before I will know which ones work for me.

I am going to OBRPC today evening (6:30-7) to meet up with hiker88, so if anyone is a member there and willing to let me shoot their 1911 I would greatly appreciate it. Please PM me with your cell # and I will get in touch.