Moose

IDPA Sunday Dec 19th @ Bridgewater, Who is in?

Anyone from the Manahawkin area going? I might go if I can car pool.

Shane i will see if i can plan to go... should know by monday night..

dam wind has us behind on our work.. now the dam lagoons are frozen and boats stuck in water, hoping for the big defrost sunday..

Ug! Just dont post my last stage catastrophe! I think I had a fairly tight match until that last stage! Unfortunatly this and the previous match a few weeks ago have me considering that I may need to quit competing during the winter months. :(. What Im finding is that post my spinal surgury, trying to compete in the cold is just too painful. By the time I get midway through the matches Im screaming in pain and just want to leave. Makes concentration a little hard.

Im sure I will be asked so, what did I think of the match?

Overall I thought it was OK. Very nice people and a nice setting. They kept it moving well and clearly put some work into it. I like very much that they keep everyone helping which aids in moving it along. Now for some constructive criticism. The range is very small. Not much you can do about that. Now I am not sure if this was common here or just this one match but I got the distinct impression that because of the small range, they try to compensate with a bit more elaborate stages. This would be fine and welcome. However, there is one particuler issue, at least for me, in the stage setups. What I do not understand was why stages were set up in a way that you had to come out of cover to activate the mover, which in most cases where very fast, and get your foot back in time to shoot so you dont get a penalty. I dont see what training value or tactical value doing such a thing has. I found it very distracting. If you have 3/4ths of the competitors choosing to take a procederal on a stage voluntarily, something is wrong. I think that either the activation pad should have been behind cover or there should have been no penalty for having a foot out to activate the target. Trying to figure out how to tap dance and shoot was as i said, distracting. The only other thing was cover. I am by no means a strong study on the IDPA rulebook. But it was my understanding that cover is 50% with feet in. I found the cover calls a little inconsistant. Sometimes it seemd ok and others it seemed like they wanted me to hug the paint. I heard a few competitors comments that sounded fairly irritated at the cover calls. Right or wrong, well not being an IDPA authority, its hard for me to say. So all my comments should be taken from the perspective of a moderate IDPA competitor.

Shane

Shane - for that up and down target, the guy who runs the match (Tom) had the weight setup higher on the popup target - there were 2 places for the weight to be set. The upper reset is for a slower pop. We were putting it on the lower reset, which happened to cause the faster pop. Yes - I did get warned about cover a couple times. This match was a little strange. Maybe it was because of the timing of the match, or the cold, but it seemed like a lot of people were off their game yesterday. I know I was.

.... Maybe I need Steph there to ramp up my competitive edge so I perform better :D

Not exactly sure what happened but basicaly my mag was jammed in the pistol but not in battery. It wouldnt go into battery and wouldnt drop free. So when the tripple pop ups popped, I had nothing :icon_evil: Since it wouldnt go into battery, I couldnt TRB. I had to manually shuck the mag and reload to engage the remaining static targets :(.

Not exactly sure what happened but basicaly my mag was jammed in the pistol but not in battery. It wouldnt go into battery and wouldnt drop free. So when the tripple pop ups popped, I had nothing :icon_evil: Since it wouldnt go into battery, I couldnt TRB. I had to manually shuck the mag and reload to engage the remaining static targets :(.

Just get combat tupperware (Glock) and be done with it. lol

Moose

Moose, Im glad you brought that up about picking up the mag. The RO made a comment about penalties had you not picked it up. I want to go read about that. I seem to remember seeing something about X seconds for each round in the mag!

If I would have had a spare mag in my pouches, I would have left it on the floor and continued with a clean one.

4. Ammunition Carrier Notes:

1. A three (3) second procedural penalty will be assessed any

time a loaded ammunition feeding device (magazine,

speedloader or full moon clip) is dislodged and falls out of the

carrier during a course of fire. Dropping a loaded ammunition

feeding device during a reload is not a procedural as long as the

competitor does not leave ammunition behind.

Had a good time at the match, even though I missed out on the snacks and bailed early. Results say I did "well", but I felt I could have done better.

It was my 1st IDPA match, so there were a few things I could have done differently after seeing some of the "regulars" run the stages. Good people at the match, and they were very helpful. My only compliant was the breaks. While I did not mind them, I would much rather shoot the 1st 2 stages, set up the next 2. Then after we tore down, sit down relax, and enjoy the snacks and spend time shooting the shite with some of the guys. Looking forward to the next match (which is a classifier match) and seeing some improvement in my scores. Most of you know that I wave the USPSA flag and will promote it endlessly, but you should give IDPA a try. Because after all, it is action shooting. And action shooting is significantly more entertaining than regular plinking.

Had a good time at the match, even though I missed out on the snacks and bailed early. Results say I did "well", but I felt I could have done better.

It was my 1st IDPA match, so there were a few things I could have done differently after seeing some of the "regulars" run the stages. Good people at the match, and they were very helpful. My only compliant was the breaks. While I did not mind them, I would much rather shoot the 1st 2 stages, set up the next 2. Then after we tore down, sit down relax, and enjoy the snacks and spend time shooting the shite with some of the guys. Looking forward to the next match (which is a classifier match) and seeing some improvement in my scores. Most of you know that I wave the USPSA flag and will promote it endlessly, but you should give IDPA a try. Because after all, it is action shooting. And action shooting is significantly more entertaining than regular plinking.

I think they normally go through the first 2 stages then break for lunch. I think because of the holiday luncheon they gave us (I think it's usually pizza - last time it was), they stopped early.

Great meeting all you guys in person

Good shooting with all of you

Hopefully see you all at another match soon

This match was unusal in the sense that it had 4 long stages

Usually we finish the 1st 2 complicated stage first then have lunch and then continue

Usually done by 3:30 - 4:30 depending on the number of shooters

Lunch is pizza