Wojo

22 Target / Bullseye League Pistol sought

I am in the process of pulling two pistol permits and am looking to buy a quality 22 pistol that is up to the task of shooting in a league. I'm not looking for the best, but something that is a proven design, reliable, a great trigger and of course very accurate.

I've seen Ruger Mk II & III's out there, some Brownings and the like. I also have to find out what the requirements are for the leagues and competition.

Thanks for the pending influx of advice.

Stick with the ruger Mk series pistols. You may want to look at high standards as well.

I read that the older High Standards were quite good, but the recent incarnation of the company leaves a lot to be desired. Good pistols for budding gunsmiths as someone put it.

The Neos is sent back to Baretta factory for a recall fix.

@ wojo, I had purchased a Ruger MK III from a forum member a while ago, which I haven't picked up yet due to PP delays. It was for my daughter, but now she wants to shoot larger calibers !:icon_e_surprised: It's already paid for, but I could sell it to you if you are interested. Sending you PM. Gun is in PA, so will need to be transferred via FFL in NJ.

Stainless steel with fluted 6 7/8 barrel. About 200 rounds through it. Comes with a pair of Hogue rubber grips and the original cocobolo grips, 2 ten round mags, scope mount and the box with everything when purchased it new.

Gun is in mint condition.

4.jpg

The Neos is sent back to Baretta factory for a recall fix.

@ wojo, I had purchased a Ruger MK III (SS, long barrel, LNIB) from a forum member, which I haven't picked up yet due to PP delays. It was for my daughter, but she now wants to shoot larger calibers now!:icon_e_surprised: It's already paid for, but I could sell it to you if you are interested. Sending you PM.

Timing is everything. Details are good.

It depends on how serious you are, how good you are and how fat is your wallet. All the guns mentioned usually can shoot better than I can. When I shot in leagues, I used a Hi Standard, a Ruger and a Browning Buckmark. Guys that had more better eyes and more corn in the silo used Smith 41's. All of them can put a bullet in the X at 75 feet. None of them jammed but that Ruger is a **** to put back together. Best of luck.

Radek, thanks for the picture, but the sights on the Hunter are not appropriate for the task.

223lover, the Ruger, Buckmark are more in line with what I am looking for. The guys with younger eyes and money to burn can out gun me and that is fine. Like shooting in Service Rifle, I am competing against myself to make myself a better shooter. As long as I am improving, I'll be happy. But I need to make sure my equipment isn't holding me back. In two years, I'll see where I stand on moving up to that box car looking Smith 41.

I read that the older High Standards were quite good, but the recent incarnation of the company leaves a lot to be desired. Good pistols for budding gunsmiths as someone put it.

Ah I was not aware. My mother shoots a couple of older high standards(bought over 20 yrs ago) and wins a lot of cash in her pistol league with them.

I have played with a Browning Buckmark with a TacSol barrel and it is a fine shooting gun. Also TacSol and Marvel make superb 22 kits for a 1911/2011 frame gun. They are really nice. I have and you can shoot clays at 100 yards with them. Super accurate.

TacSol http://www.tacticalsol.com/

marvel http://www.marvelprecision.com/

ronhonda - very nice links there. I really haven't spent too much time looking at converting my 1911 and will really consider a kit after the holidaze. For the price + some Grants, I could get a complete pistol which I will leans towards. Having a conversion kit handy during a match for a back-up may not be a bad idea. Great, more toys on my list.

I guess revolvers are out...I have two ourtstanding .22.

Model 41 S&W semi-auto w/8 10 rd. mags

Also have a S&W model 17 K22 Masterpiece. Considered finest target revolver made. Special Target hammer, triggger and grips all from S&W factory.

I have a S&W model 17. It's nice because you can transition to .38 with a similar K frame. The problem is, revolvers require too much hand movement when formal target shooting, in rapid fire whereas a semi auto allows you to back on the bull faster. I guess revolvers are outdated now, especially in .22. When shooting .22 or any competive shooting, removing all the variables is the key to success. The problem lies in reliability. The nature of .22 ammo tends to give you a variable you usually don't see in center fire ammo. Rimfires screw up. If that happens in a revolver you just go on to the next chamber (if time permits). With an auto loader, you have no choice but to clear the jam or just stop. My experience with the weapons I mentioned above leads me to give you advice to go with a Ruger Mark (fill in the blank)I hardly never took mine apart. I cleaned the bore and and receiver to remove unburned powder and crap and it rarely failed. The ejector is everything in a .22 and Rugers can't be beat in that area. The Buckmark was just not my cup of tea. It had more muzzle flip than a bull nose Ruger. The Hi Standard trophymatic (old manufacture) was simple (if not the simplest) to clean and was a tack driver. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions the other posters have put forth. My absolute favorite was a Browning medalist which I sold at a time when things weren't so good for me financially. Guns are alot like children. Once you acquire them, you use them, play with them and get used to having them around, and when they are gone, you miss them. You can find a new Ruger, a used High Standard and Buckmark at about the $400 or less. Good luck with your search.

Without breaking the bank, if you're shooting in league competition, I'd opt for the S&W M41. Timeless design, solid workmanship, accurate, easy to disassemble and clean, trigger pull weight is adjustable and simplified for a neophyte, it's drilled and tapped for mounts and has a familiar grip angle. It's a pistol with a solid feel to it.

The older High Standards were gems too if you can find them with enough good magazines.

Most bullseye competitors I've shot with who are really serious seem to own Walther GSP's with the switch caliber option for rimfire & centerfire.

The model 41 is a very sweet shooter. My dad used to use his in Bullseye and was VERY competitive with it. He also used a High Standard, but like stated above it was one from the 60's so it was probably a little better than whats available new.

I have a Browning Buckmark 5.5 URX and I love it! It's a very accurate and reliable pistol. It was relatively cheap and is s wonderful shooter and the URX comes with a piccy rail on top so if you decide to use an optic of some sort (if its even legal), you have the option without adding anything to the gun.

I think the most important thing here with .22lr, is the ammo you choose to use. I have seen some huge variations in accuracy and reliability with different brands. Most of the descent guns on the market that have adjustable sights will serve you well. There's no sense in spending a fortune on a .22 pistol until you know the sport is something your going to stick with. If you buy something of descent quality but affordable and use good ammo, you should be able to remain competitive. If you decide Bullseye is something you want to get really serious about, you can always add better equipment down the road.

Thanks again to everyone for the input.

Things took a little unexpected turn and I wound up picking up some other toys. I still am going to try at it using (egad) a 22lr conversion slide for my Sig. The idea is to get a toe in the water and see if I am ready to jump in before dumping big money. I have a good 1911 and it remains to be seen how I like the 22lr. Plus in a couple of weeks, I might be complicating things for myself when I apply for a CCW. I am in a buying frenzy because I am afraid that by submitting for my CCW application, it will most likely muddy the water trying to get any more PP's in this damn state. I am trying to pool more money to purchase a nice O/U shotgun before I go down that slippery slope.

I fully understand that other then my effects on the round, 22lr ammo has a lot to be desired in consistency and performance. But hey, the learning process is half the fun.

anything bad i have read about sigs all revolve around the 22 conversion kits.

Just my luck. Time will tell. I ran a couple of mags from the one I bought off of our Marketplace and will see how things go. I've only run two mag's thru it to see if it went bang and so far no issues. I hope to get to CR later this week to try out some new toys and do my usual practice drills. My intent wasn't for this upper to be a comp-pistol, but more for plinking and using sub-sonic rounds on suitors for my three daughters. Kidding of course...they would get at least something that begins with a .4.:icon_e_surprised:

• Like 1