Cemeterys Gun Blob

Bill S2190: Adjustments to NJ FID Card

Guest megaman

I want every articulate person to call each of these people's offices and explain to them the problems in the bill.

Write letters.

Tell them to fix the system, not run 2 systems.

Clearly this is 2 systems.

Ill take it..

but...WTF?!?!?

WHERE ARE ALL OF THE LAWSUITS??? this crap needs to go. Why do I need another ID card that lets people know that I own handguns. How are cops going to treat this info. Does everyone who has an HPP have to get pulled from the car at gunpoint 'until they can determine you are from the state of NJ and have no felonies or guns in the car? I am sure it will be tied to DL info. I have 3 already!

• Like 1

Plus *One Gun a Month* Madden is up for re-election this year, and he's supposedly vulnerable. And on a side note, I'm donating time and money to his opponent, unless that person is a chump, then I'm just gonna buy more guns. :icon_e_biggrin:

Even if he is a chump, we still should do everything we can to oust OGAMadden. If he does get beat, we should take the credit in the papers and brag about the clout of the NJ gun lobby! :ph34r:

I listened to the proceedings, read a portion of the bill,and also through this thread. Can't seem to find the answer to the question several others asked. Will current holders of FIDCs also have to apply for these new digital handgun permits? Anyone out there come across verbiage to that point in the bill? I'm not surprised if it's not addressed. You would think it common sense to grandfather FIDC holders in, but common sense has nothing to do with law making.

This Bill is just a way for anti-gun politicians to derail NJ citizens having gun rights like the free states..just throw us a little scrap; maybe we'll forget about the challenge to the unconstitutional NJ gun laws. Appeasement..they try to treat us like stupid little kids...Johnny you don't need that shiney new toy--have a nice glass of warm milk and a cookie instead.

• Like 3

Hmmm...

A DL type handgun identification card, that is incredibly difficult to copy, with an embedded digital photo, available only to those who are 21 or over, who have been vetted with a criminal and mental background check, who have been determined to be "of good character", valid for multiple years, renewable with a small administrative fee.

In America, that would be a shall issue CC permit.

Makes ya think, doesn't it?

Hmmm...

A DL type handgun identification card, that is incredibly difficult to copy, with an embedded digital photo, available only to those who are 21 or over, who have been vetted with a criminal and mental background check, who have been determined to be "of good character", valid for multiple years, renewable with a small administrative fee.

A little overzealous are you? But hey, it is a set up if we take it and spike the ball.

A little overzealous are you? But hey, it is a set up if we take it and spike the ball.

You know me better than that, Tim. I'm too cynical much of a realist to be that optimistic. Just thinking out loud is all. The timing is oddly coincidental.

All that's missing is proof of training.

ETA:

It occurred to me last night that if all they wanted to do was eliminate part of the paperwork and manpower involved in applying for PPP for a gun purchase from an FFL, all that is necessary would be to redefine the law so that any FFL purchase can be completed with the current FID card and a Driver's License. The preliminary vetting is shown with the FID, and a positive ID is made with the DL. Matching addresses, a clear NICS, and good to go.

Looks like something else may be happening here.

Before OGAMadden flipped on us (flipped us off?), the 3 Democratic hold outs on OGAM were Sweeney, Van Drew, and Madden. Sweeney is now Senate president (and isn't going to risk sticking his neck out for us; that's from a source fairly close to him) and Van Drew has introduced two versions of a shall-issue carry bill. Madden's bill was introduced in July (right around the time Van Drew's bill was first introduced, I think). Call me eternally optimistic, but this smells like Sweeney is using both of those guys as political cover to try and get some positive legislation through...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I agree with kenw, the timing is suspect.

I applied for new permits in September and am still waiting. I've seen a few revolvers and semi-auto pistols up for sale and then sold, that I would've been seriously interested in buying (one a Ruger P94 for $175). This bill may be imperfect, but if it passes and allows us to walk into a gun store, see something we like and buy it, and leave with it after a NICS check like normal people, I'll support it.

I applied for new permits in September and am still waiting. I've seen a few revolvers and semi-auto pistols up for sale and then sold, that I would've been seriously interested in buying (one a Ruger P94 for $175). This bill may be imperfect, but if it passes and allows us to walk into a gun store, see something we like and buy it, and leave with it after a NICS check like normal people, I'll support it.

Nothing prevents you from buying the gun,shipping it to your ffl and picking it up when your permits arrive. I do it all the time if I run across a good deal.

Hmmm...

To think that in Colorado the gun lobby is fighting having to do all this for CCW and here you have to go through all this just to buy the damn things. Arizona, Alaska and Vermont should be the states we look to. No CCW permits needed, buy your guns with your drivers license and no restrictions like the stupid NJ AWB.

Putting aside all the aspects of the bill i think we have to be happy with one thing and it has to do with ALL of US . I believe the actions taken on behalf of the groups fighting to change our laws in this crappy state and all of us being proactive whether writing on here or recommending this site to others like us or just continueing to wanna purchase firearms we have kinda forced them to DO SOMETHING , it may be a small step but one small step may lead to bigger ones , so i think we all deserve a PAT ON THE BACK !!!!!!

Nothing prevents you from buying the gun,shipping it to your ffl and picking it up when your permits arrive. I do it all the time if I run across a good deal.

This is true. My last wait was 18 weeks and I did buy a gun and have them hold it for me during that time, but it's not something I want to experience again. Getting rid of the P2P for gun store purchases will be a relief.

All this nonsense in NJ pertaining to pistols does exactly what it is supposed to.. and that is make me not want to bother... I own one handgun.. and considering the BS you have to go through to purchase one that number will likely stay at one until I take up residence in a more free state..

it is all nonsense.. you take one annoying system.. and try to make it better by making an additional ridiculous system.. and we accept that..

the only benefit this will have is to drive sales to dealers and make FTF sales less appealing.. again probably part of the agenda..

I still don't understand why anyone still waits for a permit to buy a handgun. :icon_rolleyes:

I can see the first permit ever applied for, but why doesn't one apply every six months for six permits? :facepalm:

EX: If your PD regularly takes two months to process the application, apply three months prior to the end of the first sixth month period, then again ever six months until you die. :icon_e_surprised:

No waiting ever again. :icon_mrgreen:

All this nonsense in NJ pertaining to pistols does exactly what it is supposed to.. and that is make me not want to bother... I own one handgun.. and considering the BS you have to go through to purchase one that number will likely stay at one until I take up residence in a more free state..

the only benefit this will have is to drive sales to dealers and make FTF sales less appealing..

That's the point of it all.

This is true. My last wait was 18 weeks and I did buy a gun and have them hold it for me during that time, but it's not something I want to experience again. Getting rid of the P2P for gun store purchases will be a relief.

In this state getting rid of P2P I wouldn't get my hopes up anytime soon!

I still don't understand why anyone still waits for a permit to buy a handgun. :icon_rolleyes:

I can see the first permit ever applied for, but why doesn't one apply every six months for six permits? :facepalm:

EX: If your PD regularly takes two months to process the application, apply three months prior to the end of the first sixth month period, then again ever six months until you die. :icon_e_surprised:

for me it's simple.. lots of wasted time (not to mention a little bit of wasted money as well) for something I rarely buy.. there has been a total of one handgun I felt like buying this year.. but if you buy them regularly or collect.. I agree with you that always having valid permits is worth it..

I understand where you are coming from. I recently applied for 2 permits because I knew I would have some extra cash after Christmas/tax returns....I didn't wait until I had the cash and found something I wanted. But I don't think that excuses the current system from being total BS.

it is all nonsense.. you take one annoying system.. and try to make it better by making an additional ridiculous system.. and we accept that..

the only benefit this will have is to drive sales to dealers and make FTF sales less appealing.. again probably part of the agenda..

This makes no sense as it does not change the current way you do Face to Face sales.

wait so this bill will let you get a Pistol-FID that you renew every 5 years right? so does you long-gun FID stay active permanently?

This bill does not change anything about the current FPID. Just pistol purchases if you have the new card.

Does anybody know what happened after the reading of the bill yesterday? I can't find anything about it online.

It was passed through the committee and has been passed up to the Budget & Appropriations committee, which will vote on it after technical amendments are made (cleaning up the language of the bill).

thanks for the info. now, i'll have to go through an entirely NEW background check with this?

if i put in for a purchase permit now, will it be held up because of this?

I live in Morris County, my other original purchase permit with background check and 2nd permit had gone through flawlessly with little to no wait. almost 30 days on the dot for each. I want to make a purchase after the new year and was going to submit a new application in the next few days.

This makes no sense as it does not change the current way you do Face to Face sales.

It does not change how a face to face transaction goes, but it DOES allow a quick transaction to occur between two parties with a FFL as the mediator if the buying party does not have a pistol permit. It DOES effect FTF transactions indirectly.

This bill does not change anything about the current FPID. Just pistol purchases if you have the new card.

FTF handgun sales will still require that ridiculous paper that I refuse to constantly renew on the off chance that I find a deal I can just not pass up..

Purchases through a gun shop would not require said paperwork...

thus making it easier to purchase a pistol from a dealer... does that make sense?

I already DON'T buy handguns FTF because I refuse to constantly renew the stupid piece of paper that "allows" me to buy a gun from a private party (or anyone else at the moment)..