Cemeterys Gun Blob

Bill S2190: Adjustments to NJ FID Card

Is it ideal? No. Is it anywhere near where I want NJ gun laws to be? No. Is it still unconstitutional? Yes. Is it better than what we have now? Definitely. If this bill does pass, I will be applying for this card the next available day.

I agree. I feel the same way.... it still sucks but at least if I see a deal 7 months from now I can get it on the spot. However,getting rid of these Unconstitutional CCW or open carry laws is my main concern.

• Like 2

However,getting rid of these Unconstitutional CCW or open carry laws is my main concern.

Mine as well. I am FAR more concerned with being able to legally protect myself and those I am with in public right now. It may not be right, but I AM willing to jump through hoops to get that done as soon as possible. I would rather jump through the hoops now, than wait until it is an easy process in 15 years. Again, it sucks, it is not right, but I will do it in order to protect myself. The other laws being lifted would be a huge plus, I would LOVE to have an AR15 with 30rd mags, and an adjustable stock. Not because it is "evil", but because I use the stock fully extended and that would be too long for my girlfriend to use. But again, these are all conveniences. I want to be able to protect myself NOW.

• Like 1

Looks like it passed committee. Just got this from the NRA.

New Jersey: Flawed “Handgun Purchaser ID Card” Legislation Passes Committee, Referred to Another Senate Committee

On Monday the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee favorably reported S2190 from Committee and referred the bill to the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee. Sponsored by State Senator Fred Madden (D-4), S2190 directs the State Police to establish a “handgun purchaser identification card” which would permit the sale, transfer and delivery of handguns between cardholders and retail dealers only.

S2190 does not eliminate the current paper form of “permit to purchase” but creates a bifurcated system run by the State Police in which paper permits must still be issued for some transactions, including private transfers, which cannot be made with the new card. The legislation has other troubling aspects, including use of an undefined, subjective standard to qualify for the new card (applicants must somehow prove themselves to be persons “of good character and good repute in the community in which they live,” a vague standard found elsewhere in NJ gun law that is in need of reform).

Senator Madden is insistent on pushing this bill with little opportunity for consultation and discussion with the National Rifle Association and the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs.

Please encourage the members of the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee to either amend S2190 or hold it until the issues and concerns of gun owners can be properly addressed. Contact information can be found below.

Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee:

Senator Paul A. Sarlo (Chair) [email protected]

Senator Brian P. Stack (Vice-Chair) [email protected]

Senator Anthony R. Bucco [email protected]

Senator Barbara Buono [email protected]

Senator Sandra B. Cunningham [email protected]

Senator Michael J. Doherty [email protected]

Senator Linda R. Greenstein [email protected]

Senator Kevin J. O’Toole [email protected]

Senator Steven V. Oroho [email protected]

Senator Joseph Pennacchio [email protected]

Senator M. Teresa Ruiz [email protected]

Senator Jeff Van Drew [email protected]

There is a great deal of misinformation circulating regarding this bill. I just sent an email to the NRA chastising them for the impression given by the ILA alert. A quick read leads one to believe that the passage of the bill would represent the end of handgun FTF sales. Obviously, this is not true. Handguns would continue to be handled exactly as they are today - using the paper pistol purchase permit process.

There is nothing I can find in the bill that I consider a negative. FTF remains unchanged; those who buy from dealers would have an easier process. What's the problem with that? This bill does not remedy all that is wrong with NJ firearms laws, nor was it intended to. Ranting about 2A rights and how much greener the grass is elsewhere has nothing whatsoever to do with this bill.

Take the time to read and understand the entire bill so as to understand what is proposed.

There is a great deal of misinformation circulating regarding this bill. I just sent an email to the NRA chastising them for the impression given by the ILA alert. A quick read leads one to believe that the passage of the bill would represent the end of handgun FTF sales. Obviously, this is not true. Handguns would continue to be handled exactly as they are today - using the paper pistol purchase permit process.

There is nothing I can find in the bill that I consider a negative. FTF remains unchanged; those who buy from dealers would have an easier process. What's the problem with that? This bill does not remedy all that is wrong with NJ firearms laws, nor was it intended to. Ranting about 2A rights and how much greener the grass is elsewhere has nothing whatsoever to do with this bill.

Take the time to read and understand the entire bill so as to understand what is proposed.

I see nowhere in the bill that it would end or give the impression it would end FTF transactions. I don't know how you took it to mean that. "S2190 does not eliminate the current paper form of “permit to purchase” but creates a bifurcated system run by the State Police in which paper permits must still be issued for some transactions, including private transfers, which cannot be made with the new card." Also handguns purchases would not be hjandled like they are today.

FTF Private Transaction=Pistol Permit

New ID Card=No permit to purchase from FFL

The problem that lies with FTF is the mere fact that people wont be applying for permits like they do now. I for one wouldn't have 2 permits sitting around ready for use. If someone wanted to sell a fire arm privately they would have to find some one who has a permit. And we know that it takes a long time to get one, so if there are less available permits then there are less FTF transfers. It would force people to go through licensed dealers, and it just drives the cost up even more.

The only people buying through private sales would be ones who predict they would be doing so, consequently having permits on hand to use. No private dealer is going to want to wait 3 months just to sell a firearm.

The problem that lies with FTF is the mere fact that people wont be applying for permits like they do now. I for one wouldn't have 2 permits sitting around ready for use. If someone wanted to sell a fire arm privately they would have to find some one who has a permit. And we know that it takes a long time to get one, so if there are less available permits then there are less FTF transfers. It would force people to go through licensed dealers, and it just drives the cost up even more.

The only people buying through private sales would be ones who predict they would be doing so, consequently having permits on hand to use. No private dealer is going to want to wait 3 months just to sell a firearm.

You can always pay for the firearm and the seller (not a dealer) would hold it until the PP arrives. I've done that and it works fine for all involved. Trust is, of course, a requirement!

I think this question of FTF is a real one. If the card is introduced, it will definitely drive people to dealers because of the convenience. Personally I'm not really bothered about this but I can see how it would inconvenience many. I'm not sure they intended this tho, but it will happen with the HPID card.

G

I have written to all the members of the Budget and Appropriations Committee encouraging them to move S2190 forward as expeditiously as possible. In my view, it presents an improved process for handgun purchasers wishing to buy from a dealer. There is absolutely no impact on anyone else (except perhaps accelerating the paper PP cycle due to fewer requests).

The NRA-ILA and some on this forum are apparently opposed for reasons beyond me. It is not an omnibus bill encompassing everything we ever wanted and should not be considered as such. The campaign to expand the rights and freedoms of NJ gun owners must continue.

As my sainted old grandma would have said "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face".

• Like 1

I have written to all the members of the Budget and Appropriations Committee encouraging them to move S2190 forward as expeditiously as possible. In my view, it presents an improved process for handgun purchasers wishing to buy from a dealer. There is absolutely no impact on anyone else (except perhaps accelerating the paper PP cycle due to fewer requests).

The NRA-ILA and some on this forum are apparently opposed for reasons beyond me. It is not an omnibus bill encompassing everything we ever wanted and should not be considered as such. The campaign to expand the rights and freedoms of NJ gun owners must continue.

As my sainted old grandma would have said "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face".

The NRA will not be for anything unless it 100% in their favor.

I can understand those who say that this is a redundant system, and IT IS. As stated, there is absolutely no reason for this card when we already have an FID card, which could be combined with our DL which is enough to determine whether we are eligible to purchase a handgun or not. I understand that, but the bottom line is that this is better than what we have now. It gets rid of the need for the lengthy PP process for in-store purchases. I am certainly not happy with this, and I certainly hope that this is not the end of it.....but I will take this small change in the meantime.

S2190 was introduced in july of 2010, 5 months later reported from senate committee with amendments,2nd reading on 12-6-2010

referred to senate budget and appropriations 12-6-2010

I guess 1 of 2 things happened..it went into the circular file never to be seen again or it may be brought up in this years budget hearings and die that way or be approved....

I guess 1 of 2 things happened..it went into the circular file never to be seen again or it may be brought up in this years budget hearings and die that way or be approved....

Dollars to Donuts, this bill will never be heard about again.