Golani

Buying an AK

Heard the NJSP are starting to crack down on anything that may even look like an assault rifle so I think it's time to get one before it's too late. I would like to get an AK type 7.62X39 with a pistol grip for under $500, any suggestions where to look or who to talk to? Thanks

What are you looking for exactly? There are SEVERAL different options you can look into.....but it depends on your interests. Single stack the Zastava PAP is the only one that comes to mind. Good accurate rifle in single stack, i

You have several different options. In single stack the Zastava PAP is the only one I can think of. I like mine. Looks great with wood furniture. Only complaint is that it is single stack, and mags are harder to come by. Then you have a Saiga which would need to be converted, but can be done pretty easily. There are a couple other options that I'm sure someone will chime in on.

You have several different options. In single stack the Zastava PAP is the only one I can think of. I like mine. Looks great with wood furniture. Only complaint is that it is single stack, and mags are harder to come by. Then you have a Saiga which would need to be converted, but can be done pretty easily. There are a couple other options that I'm sure someone will chime in on.

Need something for a doomsday scenario, reliable and powerful plus fun to shoot, that's why I was looking for an AK. Plus I have a ton of 7.62X39 ammo. Where would I even be able to buy a Saiga these days?

Most of your LGS' should carry Saigas.

I "hear" the conversion is easy on a Saiga, but I probably wouldn't do it myself.

The PAP is an awesome Ak clone, Saiga's are top notch, and Wasr's are dirt cheap. You get what you pay for.

I would highly suggest a PAP with wood furniture.

Cabela's had Wasr's going for $349 a couple weeks ago.

Saiga is a great gun.. I have had zero issues with it.. converting it is fun and educational.. if you go that route and get hung up in any way I will be happy to help.. I have converted quite a few.. they are a blast to shoot.. decently accurate.. and easy to work on..

Also, the only thing that sucks is buying one online usually ruins your 'good deal.'

If you find a WASR locally for $400, yet you find one on the net for #300, your looking at around $30 to ship it, $50-$60 transfer fee, along with tax.

So is the small amount of money worth not being able to see it, handle it, and the headache of online ordering? Most likely not, unless you really want it!

With that said, I paid a little more online than I would have through a LGS, but none of my shops had in stock or could order my clone, so I was stuck with ordering online. Fortunately, my experience with the gunbroker seller went smooth and I had my rifle in about a week and shot the hell out of it when I picked it up at the FFl/range.

Saiga is a great gun.. I have had zero issues with it.. converting it is fun and educational.. if you go that route and get hung up in any way I will be happy to help.. I have converted quite a few.. they are a blast to shoot.. decently accurate.. and easy to work on..

Know where to buy a Saiga that has already been converted?

Need something for a doomsday scenario, reliable and powerful plus fun to shoot, that's why I was looking for an AK. Plus I have a ton of 7.62X39 ammo. Where would I even be able to buy a Saiga these days?

If this is your interest, I would not suggest the Zastava PAP. It is a good rifle, but it is not your standard "AK" style gun. Single stack mags are hard to come buy and are mostly limited to 10 rounds. For a range gun, it's great.....not so much an end of the world gun.

If this is your interest, I would not suggest the Zastava PAP. It is a good rifle, but it is not your standard "AK" style gun. Single stack mags are hard to come buy and are mostly limited to 10 rounds. For a range gun, it's great.....not so much an end of the world gun.

So you would go with the Saiga converted and get the 10 round mags to be compliant in NJ?

I am not sure if a Saiga is double or single stack. If it is single, then its going to be the same as a WASR or PAP.

If its double stack, then you have the option of an Arsenal or as Glenn said, something from J&G or any other numerous Ak clone sites.

I don't find double stacks that great, the only cool thing about them is you can use 30rders when you go into PA. But for target shooting or whatever, a single stack is fine. I dunno about this 'doomsday' scenario that everyone talks about tho, you might have different survival decisions or whatever.

Going towards the Saiga double/single stack, if it's a single stack you could probably dremel it out to accept regular double stack mags. If it's double stack, then..it's double stack.

The factory Saiga mags are pretty expensive, around $30 for a 15rder. I would get the 15rders instead of the 10.

saiagas are doubles so you dont need to use saiga mags. 7.62x39 versions require an easy bullet guide install for normal mag use. Then any double stack works.

Double stack is great, even in NJ because:

#1 its correct for the rifle

#2 cheaper mags

#3 doomsday scenario, double stack are common (and high capacity)

#4 you can borrow hi-caps out of state

#5 you can get a 30 round mag blocked to 15 rounds, which not only looks correct but is 5 more rounds than PAP

Heres my two gems. both double stacks. Top is a polish type 3 milled (7.62x39) and bottom is a SAR-2 in 5.45x39

DSC00793.jpg

Know where to buy a Saiga that has already been converted?

you can buy them already converted on Gunbroker and just have it sent to an FFL.. BUT.. you would be missing out on a great learning experience.. one of the best parts about buying the Saiga was doing the work myself.. this was one of the first guns I ever purchased.. and I had never worked on a firearm before in my life.. basic understanding of hand tools, and the ability to follow directions, is all you really need to be able to do the work yourself..... I did mine with more modern furniture.. but you can choose classic wood as well.. the nice thing about a Saiga is it being a project.. You get to pick everything about the gun.. the furniture.. fire control group.. magazine choice.. plus it is made in Russia making it as close to a traditional AK as you can legally buy (while it being made in Russia is irrelevant to some.. I like the idea of where these guns are produced..)..

this is my current Saiga in 7.62

saiga.jpg

this is my old Saiga (sold) in 223

kvar1hr7.jpg

both started out like this...

saiga223.JPG

Vlad, about how much did it cost you to do the conversion (excluding parts like pistol grip, stock, forearm)?

The parts kit to change a Saiga to have the configuration of Vlad's old Saiga 223 (in the middle pic above) is $110 from Carolina Shooter Supply.

• Like 1

The parts kit to change a Saiga to have the configuration of Vlad's old Saiga 223 (in the middle pic above) is $110 from Carolina Shooter Supply.

yup they are pretty cheap now.. and sold as a package I believe....

they are really similar builds with exception of the furniture, all these guns are really similar.. furniture is furniture... and will ultimately suit the shooter..

being a total novice and ripping apart my brand new unfired Saiga was a pretty exciting fun experience.. lol

you can buy them already converted on Gunbroker and just have it sent to an FFL.. BUT.. you would be missing out on a great learning experience.. one of the best parts about buying the Saiga was doing the work myself.. this was one of the first guns I ever purchased.. and I had never worked on a firearm before in my life.. basic understanding of hand tools, and the ability to follow directions, is all you really need to be able to do the work yourself..... I did mine with more modern furniture.. but you can choose classic wood as well.. the nice thing about a Saiga is it being a project.. You get to pick everything about the gun.. the furniture.. fire control group.. magazine choice.. plus it is made in Russia making it as close to a traditional AK as you can legally buy (while it being made in Russia is irrelevant to some.. I like the idea of where these guns are produced..)..

this is my current Saiga in 7.62

saiga.jpg

this is my old Saiga (sold) in 223

kvar1hr7.jpg

both started out like this...

saiga223.JPG

And your current one is compliant with NJ laws? Wow, may have to take on a new project then. What is the best place online to buy a basic Saiga model? Heard the NJSP are cracking down hard now on AK rifles, Paul at Arms n ammo isn't even selling or dealing in them at this point.

And your current one is compliant with NJ laws? Wow, may have to take on a new project then. What is the best place online to buy a basic Saiga model? Heard the NJSP are cracking down hard now on AK rifles, Paul at Arms n ammo isn't even selling or dealing in them at this point.

sure it is.. you will note that while it might kind of look like an AK.. it is most certainly not an AK.. it is a Saiga.. and just to be extra careful.. if you check the whole substantially identical thing you will notice that it is NOT substantially identical..

NOT a named "assault weapon"..

NOT substantially identical..

then it is legal..

gun broker usually has Saigas.. and Paul has sold them before.. but maybe things are different now.. I would think that because these are not questioned in any way he could transfer one purchased online for you.. but you would have to check with him to be sure.. these guns were so common at one point that one of the ones I purchased I purchased at Zeus.. I don't know if you know anything about that place.. but it is pretty much just hunting type stuff.. nothing really "evil black rifle".. and they even used to carry them when they were easy to get..

if you get one and need any info just give me a yell.. I really enjoy the gun..