NJdiverTony

Good NJ Legal AR15 type rifle that won't break the bank?

BUSHMASTER A-3 M-4 14" 223 IZZY is what I'm looking at right now, about $1000 an straight from the manufacturer NJ legal

Edit: I'm also talking to the guys over at Spikes Tactical (They are members on my Jeep forum) about building me an NJ compliant AR and they have built some insanely wicked ARs like this zombie inspired series

1c5331c4.jpg

c1c69c03.jpg

fe137f9e.jpg

$1000 to me is breaking the bank. I'm thinking of the $500-$750 range. The S&W M&P AR15 Optics Ready is $650 right now from Larry's Pistol and Pawn, but some work has to be done to it to make it NJ Legal.

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/promo/dec_10/dec_email_news.html

$1000 to me is breaking the bank. I'm thinking of the $500-$750 range. The S&W M&P AR15 Optics Ready is $650 right now from Larry's Pistol and Pawn, but some work has to be done to it to make it NJ Legal.

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/promo/dec_10/dec_email_news.html

Yeah, $500 to $750 range is more like it... The Optics Ready M&P is niiiiice! What work would need to be done to make it NJ lega? Stock needs pinning? Lower cap mag? What else?

Can't buy crap until I get my FID back from the NJSP with my updated address though :( Almost 8 weeks now since I turned in my paperwork... Damnit!

BUSHMASTER A-3 M-4 14" 223 IZZY is what I'm looking at right now, about $1000 an straight from the manufacturer NJ legal

Edit: I'm also talking to the guys over at Spikes Tactical (They are members on my Jeep forum) about building me an NJ compliant AR and they have built some insanely wicked ARs like this zombie inspired series

These Zombie rifles are really sweet! Probably way out of my price range though.

Ha, well, I can't say I share the same enthusiasm as Nick. Breaking the bank regarding ARs for me is 1300-1500+, with trying to keep it around 1000-1100.

On the lower end, I'd say consider getting a Smith and Wesson ORC or Stag. On the higher end, consider getting the Colt 6920 (would need to be neutered), or the Match Target models (MT6400 model).

I'd even recommend to go a step further, and buy a lower (complete or put one together), and an upper separately. From where I've looked, a completely built lower will run you the same as buying all the pieces and putting one together (yes, I have confirmed this multiple times, both cost the same). Either option will cost you about $400-450 depending on what options you go for. The complete upper can cost you as little as $400, though I'd imagine somewhere around $450-500 on average.

It ultimately comes down to what you want in a rifle. If you're looking for a plinker/range gun, I'd say its no issue to buy a Bushy or Stag. If you want some more dependability and higher quality, you'll have to pay for that (though, be careful not to pay a premium either). Let me know what you're looking to do with it, and I can give some better, more specific, advice. :)

Buy a DPMS Upper and Lower. And accept that the trigger will suck. I can help you out with the sucky trigger.

Here's where I buy http://www.jsesurplus.com/index.aspx

They're not fancy or tacticool but they're business.

BTW you will need to get magazines. 15 rd mags at C-Products I think they're like $15.

I'm not tacticool but take ironsite head shots at 300. Save your money.

Buy a DPMS Upper and Lower. And accept that the trigger will suck. I can help you out with the sucky trigger.

Here's where I buy http://www.jsesurplus.com/index.aspx

They're not fancy or tacticool but they're business.

BTW you will need to get magazines. 15 rd mags at C-Products I think they're like $15.

I'm not tacticool but take ironsite head shots at 300. Save your money.

About how much will that run?

Haha this has turned into a collective AR thread I was looking at the M&P didn't realize it was that cheap and the smithing for the Barrel and Stock shouldn't be anymore than $150 give or take... Sh!t I might go the S&W route side and rifle

Haha this has turned into a collective AR thread I was looking at the M&P didn't realize it was that cheap and the smithing for the Barrel and Stock shouldn't be anymore than $150 give or take... Sh!t I might go the S&W route side and rifle

Several people here have taken advantage of that M&P. It's a good rifle.

Go to the site. Pick an upper and add 250 for a lower. They have them all the time. Add transfer and NICS to the price of your lower and you're done. Or buy my scoped gun ready to go...LOL

I don't see anything with an upper that I can add the lower to....

I don't see anything with an upper that I can add the lower to....

http://www.jsesurplus.com/yhmyankeehill16carbineuppercompleteyhm-7100-1-1.aspx

I have one of these and it is a great shooter. And the barrel is heavy enough that I don't feel I need a free floating handguard. And don't believe that out of stock stuff. Call them.

BTW I just talked to them. They won't hack off a bayonet lug.

post-1785-0-27796700-1291748091_thumb.jpg

Thats what I did. Pk90 did the brake for me.

Very happy with it so far and even had ZERO issues with the cheap Tula ammo from Cabelas.

Not sure how you feel about used firearms but Cabela's always has like 10-15 AR's in stock...my friend picked up a nice Bushmaster for $650. It was in like-new condition.

Yeah but I'd have to travel out there not knowing what they potentially have.

For me, not breaking the bank would be to spend less than $800

I would pick one of these kits (with bayo lug shaved, pinned comp, and fixed stock of course) http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_kits_s/1.htm

Then throw it all on one of these stripped lowers http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSL&groupid=53

This is the route I went.

On black friday they had a special for 15% off their rifle kits.

I went with the 16" midlength kit and customized how i wanted and also to make it nj legal(a big selling point for me was that i could buy off their site and have it be completely nj legal already)

ended up spending $613 total for everything.

will be picking up a spike's lower from aimsurplus probably.

so total build will be around ~$750

How's Del-Ton with quality though?

i know someone who has 3 rifles from them and he's very happy with them

and their customer service is superb from what i've heard and read on the web.

for the price you can get a kit from them built similarly to higher end models for much cheaper.

unfortunately i can't say first hand yet but soon i'll know

I started up a good thread, huh? LOL! Lots of great info... Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. I definitely see an AR-15 in my future... after I'm done with pistol shopping, though. :)

You beat me to the punch. I was going to ask but kept forgetting!

My friends have 2 Del-Ton's and they run fine. The carry handle is made in China, so I'd swap that out quick. As far as getting an AR, I'd go with what BBK said. Buy a lower and then an upper and build from there. This has many advantages. 1 is cost, it'll be cheaper. 2, you'll learn how the rifle assembles, disassembles and how it works. And 3, it'll be fun to customize your zombie gun as you want it!

Definately build it yourself, its alot easier than you would think. It only took me about an hour to assemble my first lower, I was surprised at how simple it was. Plus you get the satisfaction of saying you built it, and you can use the parts & accesories you want.

Let me know when you get everything together, Deni!

Will do, it looks like it might not get here before Christmas though! :(

Turns out the sale they had depleted their stock on chromed barrels and are waiting for more in from the chromers and that's not for another 1-2 weeks.