Jon

What are ya drinking?

Bringing this thread back!

So what have you been drinking?

Right now, Old Forster 100 Bourbon on the rocks.  Tried the Old Forester 86 and LOVED in.  Figured more proof is more better.  Want to pick up a bottle of the Old Forester 1920: Prohibition Syle.  Have heard good things.

Also picked up the two new offerings, Bottled In Bond & Triple Mash, from Jack Daniel's recently.  Liked the Triple Mash better.  

Picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed.  Have heard VERY good things about it.  Waiting to drink it with one of my fiends.  Also picked up a a bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.  Cant' go too long without one of those.

Finally found a bottle of Buffalo Trace. 

It was $40 which I think is $5 -$10 above retail.  But my two "go to stores" never seem to have it in stock. 

It's good.  But for not too much more I could be drinking Old Forester's 1920 (which I picked up a few months ago and REALLY enjoy) or Wild Turkey Rare Breed which is also a great pour for right around $50 or even JD Single Barrel which will occasionally go on sale for just under $50.  I would buy the Buffalo Trace again in the $30 - $35 range.

Wegman's in Bridgewater had Sazerac Rye not too long ago for less than $30.  In the past I was paying $40-$45 for that.  So picked up two bottles of that.

Have a bottle of Ezra Brooks 99 I picked up but haven't opened yet.  Watched some YouTube bourbon reviews which said it is a good value drinker.  I think I paid $25 for the bottle.

Speaking of great values, if you like bourbon then pick up a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 Year.  It can be found in the $35 - $40 range and is delicious.  I would definitely buy that over $40 Buffalo Trace any day of the week.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:10 AM, gleninjersey said:

Want to pick up a bottle of the Old Forester 1920: Prohibition Syle.

Is that the blend with wood alcohol and formaldehyde? : )~

6 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Finally found a bottle of Buffalo Trace. 

My wife picked up a bottle of BT for me a few weeks ago, $35 I think.  Apparently it is popular with fire fighters.  I liked it, has a smooth vanilla noted flavor which mixes well with many of my favorite drink recipes.  Also used it in a bourbon glaze I made for some flat iron steaks.  It also sips nicely from a flask around  the fire pit.

• Like 1

If you enjoy whiskey and bourbon then I HIGHLY recommend you check out Knob Creek.  It seems to fly under the radar.  After watching several differnt Youtube bourbon reviewers all saying that it is a very good value I decided to try it out.

I picked up the regular Knob Creek 9 Year at my go to store for $35.  I have to say, at that price point it is hard to beat!  The Russel's Reserve 10 Year is right in that price range as well.  I would definitely recommended either of them.  I may actually have to pick up a bottle of both as I am out of them and then do a side by side tasting!

After I verified that I did indeed enjoy the regular Knob Creek I picked up a bottle of a Store Pick Single Barrel.  There's no age statement on Store Picks but they are a minimum of 9 years old and could be up to 15  years old (or so I've heard).  The "ribbon" (I don't know if that's the technical word for it) on the bottom front of a Store Pick will give you information about the Store Pick.  The barrel my bottle is from was from Warehouse Z, Floor #6 and Rick # 067 and was barrelled on 11/16/2011 & selected on 6/2/21.  It's delicious and was on sale for $51.99.  I'll be picking up a second one very soon.  

I HIGHLY recommend trying the regular Knob Creek 9 Year.  And if you enjoy it then DEFINITELY pick up a Store Pick if your store has one.  A "Store Pick" is simply an individual selection the store owner or manager made that will only be available at that store.   

FYI - the regular and Store Pick Single Barrels are both 120 proof!  So packs a punch!

Here's one of the YouTube reviews that turned my on to Knob Creek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMcKq3wJr6Q

30 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

If you enjoy whiskey and bourbon then I HIGHLY recommend you check out Knob Creek.

That's definitely a good one and makes it into my rotation, usually in the fall.

Personally, I finally picked up a bottle of Laird's applejack, which is right here in Central Jersey:  Home - Laird & Company (lairdandcompany.com)  Good stuff and definitely a fall / winter treat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

check out Knob Creek.

I've been through a couple of few bottles of Knob Cleek.  It's not bad at all, but I think it's over hyped. 

5 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

That's definitely a good one and makes it into my rotation, usually in the fall.

Definitely a fall-winter bottle.  btw, my grandfather was friends with whatever Laird was jack'n them apples, up until the 80s.  They were both F&AM, same buffalo lodge or something.

An inexpensive bourbon that I’m really enjoying is Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (aka White Label).  100 proof, about $20.  Remarkably smooth, especially for a higher proof bourbon. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 10/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, 10X said:

An inexpensive bourbon that I’m really enjoying is Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (aka White Label).  100 proof, about $20.  Remarkably smooth, especially for a higher proof bourbon. 

It was the 125th Anniversary of the Bottled In Bond Act.  To celebrate, and maybe pump up sales, everyone and their brother came out with a "Barreled In Bond" offering.

I enjoy watching this father & son whiskey reviewers.  They did a "Bottled In Bond Bracket" competition and I tried more than one or two of them.  It's hard to argue with a decent $20 Bourbon.  Especially in these inflationary times!

The overall winner isn't available in NJ or so I've been told by one of my go to stores.  Which is a shame because it won their entire contest and is inexpensive!

Enjoy!