Jon

What are ya drinking?

5 hours ago, 10X said:

An inexpensive bourbon that I’m really enjoying is Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (aka White Label).  100 proof, about $20.  Remarkably smooth, especially for a higher proof bourbon. 

That stuff is excellent. Probably the best kept little secret in bourbon. 

I've had a few of these, found them at a flea market up state NY, Took some samples 10:00 am, nothing like starting early when out at a flea market with my wife. Yes, I found something, a nice bottle, also made locally upstate. 

One of my new favorites. Until I find a new favorite.

https://coopersdaughter.distilleryspirits.com/product.aspx?item=WalnutBourbon

IMG_2022.JPG

• Informative 1

22 hours ago, 10X said:

An inexpensive bourbon that I’m really enjoying is Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (aka White Label).  100 proof, about $20.  Remarkably smooth, especially for a higher proof bourbon. 

A worthwhile watch:

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Got a bottle as a gift, not cheap, But really good, if you get an opportunity try it.

Hats off to Texas.

https://www.thirtyonewhiskey.com/whiskey-review-garrison-brothers-balmorhea-bourbon/

IMG_2055.JPG

That’s a good one. 

I was into this last night at a Halloween party. I love this stuff. 

90DDB794-FBB3-48E4-8E68-78994C9837EB.jpeg

• Like 1

So after over a year of looking out for it, from @Displaced Texan 's, suggestion I finally came across a bottle of Eagle Rare Bourbon. 

The store had only one bottle and the owner didn't know when they might get another. 

It was awesome. I found it on my way to a friends house for a party. I got to taste it, but the other people at the party were like a bunch of seagulls at the boardwalk on some french fries. It was gone in no time.

https://eaglerare.com/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Brisco said:

So after over a year of looking out for it, from @Displaced Texan 's, suggestion I finally came across a bottle of Eagle Rare Bourbon. 

The store had only one bottle and the owner didn't know when they might get another. 

It was awesome. I found it on my way to a friends house for a party. I got to taste it, but the other people at the party were like a bunch of seagulls at the boardwalk on some french fries. It was gone in no time.

https://eaglerare.com/

It IS pretty awesome! I’m glad you found some and got to try it! 

Was gifted a couple bottles of this scotch, almost fell off my chair when I looked it up. Break it out on special occasions.

https://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/our-whisky/core-range/johnnie-walker-king-george-v/

If you’re a scotch drinker and have the opportunity to try it or buy it, don’t hesitate, it really is that good. 

Opened up the bottle of Blue Note "Juke Joint" I purchased recently.  Pretty decent pour.

Just picked up a bottle of "TX" today.  Will open that soon.  Maybe later tonight.  Found it for $31! So even if it's not my cup of tea it won't have set me back much.

I've tried a few offerings from Balcones Distillery which is another Texas based distillery. The two products from them tasted more on the Scotch side of things. I'm guessing this may taste more "Scotchy" as well.

Screenshot_20221203-153135_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221203-154545_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to @Displaced Texan for mentioning the TX Blended Whiskey. 

GREATLY exceeded my expectations.  Very enjoyable drink.  Especially on sale for $31!

Kind of a cross between a bourbon and a light Scotch.  Sweet with a hint of smoke..  

This bottle definetly won't be around for long at my house.  May have to pick up another while it's still on sale!!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Thanks to @Displaced Texan for mentioning the TX Blended Whiskey. 

GREATLY exceeded my expectations.  Very enjoyable drink.  Especially on sale for $31!

Kind of a cross between a bourbon and a light Scotch.  Sweet with a hint of smoke..  

This bottle definetly won't be around for long at my house.  May have to pick up another while it's still on sale!!

I figured you’d like that! 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

I just made up a batch of fresh eggnog

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cooksillustrated/how_tos/6704-eggnog-better-and-safer-with-age

We stirred together a dozen eggs, 1 1/2 cups of bourbon, 1/2 cup of cognac, and 1/3 cup of dark rum; added 1 1/2 cups of sugar; and refrigerated the 18-percent-alcohol mixture in an airtight container. After three weeks, we poured the base through a sieve to remove any egg solids and then mellowed out the mixture with 6 cups of whole milk and ½ cup of cream, bringing it down to about 8 percent alcohol.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Never heard reviews on this, did you try it?

Not yet. We have a party to go to Saturday night, gonna try it then. 
We are having our tile replaced in the house this week, I’ll probably need a few belts of whisky by then. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Asked if my go to store can order the Yellow Rose

If they can get it, let me know.  Been looking for that myself.

In other news.  I was given a bottle of Kentucky Gentleman bourbon for christmas .  It came from the MDL PX, so I wasn't expecting much from the plastic bottled spirit, but it exceeded my low expectations.  It's not Knob Creek, but it is very good with mixers, and works extremely well in home made BBQ sauce.  There is nothing particularly complex about the flavor, it's basic bourbon done well.

• Informative 1

I just picked up another bottle of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.  Plenty others I wanted to try, but I really liked this one when I grabbed a bottle before Christmas. 

2 hours ago, 10X said:

I just picked up another bottle of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.  Plenty others I wanted to try, but I really liked this one when I grabbed a bottle before Christmas. 

Evan Williams BIB is one of THE best bargain bourbons out there.  It's not great but it's hard to argue with a decent tasting $20 bottle of bourbon!  Their 1783 isn't bad either at around the same price.  

I also picked up Russel's Reserve 10 Year today.  If you see it for about $35, just buy it.  It's probably one of my favorite in that price range.  

@Scorpio64 I'll let you know.  But I have a feeling it's not going to be available around here.  Just like Early Times Bottled In Bond isn't available in NJ.  It's a budge drinker that is supposed to be VERY good for the price (around $25 I think).  

Found it.  So it IS available in NJ.

Wife and I both prefer the TX Blended.  

I think for us Yellow Rose is a little too sweet with a little too much smoke.  If you like sweet Scotch it may be more your thing?

Plus the TX Blended is $35 compared to $50 for the Yellow Rose.

I found the Yellow Rose at Cub Liquors in Middlesex if anyone local to that area wants to pick it up.  The TX Blended I generally get from Super Saver on 22 in Somerville.  If not close to those areas just ask your local store to get some for you.

I would say start out with the TX Blended.  And if you like that and want to kick up the sweetness, smoke and proof then check out the Yellow Rose.

Screenshot_20230218-173201_Gallery.jpg