Jon

What are ya drinking?

Over the recent holidays, i went on a few runs to the better bottle shops to pull some various ipa's while i was off. Here's some of the better ones that i highly recommend and have been drinking regularly the past two weeks.

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA - this is the king of ipa's! Excellent balance of sweet biscuity malt and fragrant citruisy hops. If you can find it, pay whatever price they're asking but be warned, it isn't cheap.

Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA - Same as Sculpin but about 95% as good. frankly its hard to get as good as sculpin but this is a much cheaper alternative.

Lagunitas Lil Sumpin sumpin - this is a wheat IPA which is unusual but that sweet silky wheat malt and the intense hops is an awesome combination.

Ithaca Flower Power IPA - lower on the maltyness, but intense hops!

Kane head high IPA - this has got to be the most piney rich hop flavor i've ever had. good grapefruit citrus but low on malt. total hop bomb fresh out of the tap at the brewery.

Firestone Wookey jack black rye ale - wow, the dark rye malt imparts a richness that you can't get in an IPA. This is an awesome brew. 22oz bombers only.

Beer to avoid:

Sam Adams whitewater IPA - boring, total drainpour.

Weyerbacher last chance IPA - this isn't an ipa, its a boring pale ale. not a drainpour, but disappointing.

Southern tier IPA - worse than boring, hops taste like musky seaweed and vegetables. I walked down to the bay and poured it out there since that's likely where it came from.

Ewwwwww. Had that stuff in the DR... disgusting.

What you get there is in a crap bottle and not a quality cured bottle, this ones is over 20 years old and tastes nothing like the crap you will get in a quick turn around bottle. That and they do have 2 kinds, wine and rum, wine no matter what in my eyes suck, rum is good but needs to be quality Anejo and in the right bottle with the right mix.

Try this when you come by my place one day, you might change your mind when you taste the good stuff. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnny Walker Double Black on the rocks

Dbl black, have had that in the liquor cabint for since it came out, good stuff, like blue better but only drink that a few times a year.

Oh and stop drinking it over ice, neat is the way to go.. ;)

What you get there is in a crap bottle and not a quality cured bottle, this ones is over 20 years old and tastes nothing like the crap you will get in a quick turn around bottle. That and they do have 2 kinds, wine and rum, wine no matter what in my eyes suck, rum is good but needs to be quality Anejo and in the right bottle with the right mix.

Try this when you come by my place one day, you might change your mind when you taste the good stuff. :)

We had some at one of the "organic farms" in the mountains during an excursion, so I would assume it was decently cured. I'll certainly take you up on your offer though!

Just got back from a beer run and am finally sitting down with a bomber of Firestone Walker Double Jack Imperial IPA. She's a big old sweetie whose got a massive caramel malty goodness that, combined with the citrousy hops, gives a huge tropical fruit punch in the face. These guys can do no wrong.