Jon

What are ya drinking?

I gave up on beer for calorie reasons. Bourbon is my new drink of choice. I have a few favorites: Four Roses Single Barrel, Basil Hayden, Bulleit 10 year old, Baby Hudson. I'll never turn down old standards like Knob Creek or Blantons. I am currently drinking Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch. Normally I take my bourbon on the rocks. I know some frown on this, but it's what I like. 

In case anyone is interested, my value picks for best bourbons within a price range: Under $25 is Buffalo Trace. Nice burn. Not for the first time bourbon drinker. Four Roses plain bottle is a good inexpensive bourbon if Buffalo Trace is too aggressive for you. Under $30 is Four Roses Small Batch. It's my "go to" bourbon. Jefferson's Reserve is a good value choice for someone looking to start. Very smooth. No bite. You will want to graduate to better bourbon after a few bottles. I usually serve this or Four Roses Small Batch to company, depending on whether they are whisky drinkers or not. Under $35 is Eagle Rare. Excellent Choice.

I am not at the point where I can really appreciate the really pricey bourbon (i.e  +$50 per bottle) and tell the difference between a $75 bottle and a $200 one. They are nice and smooth, but the distinction is lost on me. I hope it stays that way, as it will keep my wallet fuller. 

My wife got me a 375ml bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Oak project ($$) for Christmas. That is sipping whisky meant to be drunk neat, and the only one I actually do. Great stuff.

four-roses-small-batch.jpg

basil-hayden.jpg

I gave up on beer for calorie reasons. Bourbon is my new drink of choice. I have a few favorites: Four Roses Single Barrel, Basil Hayden, Bulleit 10 year old, Baby Hudson. I'll never turn down old standards like Knob Creek or Blantons. I am currently drinking Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch. Normally I take my bourbon on the rocks. I know some frown on this, but it's what I like. 

In case anyone is interested, my value picks for best bourbons within a price range: Under $25 is Buffalo Trace. Nice burn. Not for the first time bourbon drinker. Four Roses plain bottle is a good inexpensive bourbon if Buffalo Trace is too aggressive for you. Under $30 is Four Roses Small Batch. It's my "go to" bourbon. Jefferson's Reserve is a good value choice for someone looking to start. Very smooth. No bite. You will want to graduate to better bourbon after a few bottles. I usually serve this or Four Roses Small Batch to company, depending on whether they are whisky drinkers or not. Under $35 is Eagle Rare. Excellent Choice.

I am not at the point where I can really appreciate the really pricey bourbon (i.e  +$50 per bottle) and tell the difference between a $75 bottle and a $200 one. They are nice and smooth, but the distinction is lost on me. I hope it stays that way, as it will keep my wallet fuller. 

My wife got me a 375ml bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Oak project ($$) for Christmas. That is sipping whisky meant to be drunk neat, and the only one I actually do. Great stuff.

four-roses-small-batch.jpg

basil-hayden.jpg

Good Choices, and agree with Buffalo Trace as the best value out there.

Everyday choice is Knob Creek (currently partaking in Singe Barrel - 120 proof)

If I want to save a few bucks > Wild Turkey 120

If I want to spend more > Bookers

I like mine w/o Ice, but I do drop a little water in given the high ABV levels.

(don't get me started on Scotch) ; )

WR

Good Choices, and agree with Buffalo Trace as the best value out there.

Everyday choice is Knob Creek (currently partaking in Singe Barrel - 120 proof)

If I want to save a few bucks > Wild Turkey 120

If I want to spend more > Bookers

I like mine w/o Ice, but I do drop a little water in given the high ABV levels.

(don't get me started on Scotch) ; )

WR

I see you like to "feel the burn". :)

I usually prefer the lower octane.

OK, so I am a whisky drinker and can deal with a bite, or a strong flavor, but what is up with Old Laphroig Scotch? It is considered good stuff by Scotch drinkers. I think it is foul swill, like pouring a campfire with smoldering moss down my throat. Are all Islay Scotches like this? Yuck. 

lp399-laphroaig---quarter-cask.jpg

OK, so I am a whisky drinker and can deal with a bite, or a strong flavor, but what is up with Old Laphroig Scotch? It is considered good stuff by Scotch drinkers. I think it is foul swill, like pouring a campfire with smoldering moss down my throat. Are all Islay Scotches like this? Yuck.

You described very accurately (well maybe not the swill part) - and it's nectar from the gods!

Btw most of the Islay scotches are like this but not all.

This is one of my favorite scotches but I gave up scotch once the price of everything I liked went over $50 a bottle. I'm a bourbon drinker now and like all the ones you mentioned in a previous post. and pretty much agree with everything you said about bourbon.

Totally disagree with you on this scotch. I also love LaGavullin (sp)

Super Tuscan red i made last year. 17% alcohol.. not your average wine

17%?...... at that point it ceases being "wine" and is now "liquor".

8e4aqeta.jpg

Enjoying a Brooklyn pennant ale '55 it's pretty nice. Also have some Brooklyn blast ipa, now that was a damn good beer but I hate buying 4 packs

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

What's the object between your beer and lighter? I thought at first one of those electronic cigs but looks way different from what I've seen.

What's the object between your beer and lighter? I thought at first one of those electronic cigs but looks way different from what I've seen.

It's an electronic cigarette. Innokin itaste mvp v2 with a protank 3 tank. Loaded with caramel and cinnamon mixed together

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity