Jon

What are ya drinking?

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

Found it.  So it IS available in NJ.

Wife and I both prefer the TX Blended.  

I think for us Yellow Rose is a little too sweet with a little too much smoke.  If you like sweet Scotch it may be more your thing?

Plus the TX Blended is $35 compared to $50 for the Yellow Rose.

I found the Yellow Rose at Cub Liquors in Middlesex if anyone local to that area wants to pick it up.  The TX Blended I generally get from Super Saver on 22 in Somerville.  If not close to those areas just ask your local store to get some for you.

I would say start out with the TX Blended.  And if you like that and want to kick up the sweetness, smoke and proof then check out the Yellow Rose.

Screenshot_20230218-173201_Gallery.jpg

Good review. I prefer the Tx Blended, and that’s become my ‘go to’. 

We were supposed to go to our cocktail club meeting tonight, but Mrs Tex messed up her knee a couple weeks ago, and she’s not up for going. 
The cocktail club was an ‘excuse’ for me to try a different bourbon or whisky. 

Maybe next month. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:31 PM, tblant said:

Lunch by Maine Brewing Company.  It’s an IPA. Solid brewery, but tough to find their beers in NJ.  

Probably the best IPA out there right now IMO. Wish it were easier to find, I've only had it from tap.

On 4/1/2018 at 12:10 PM, fishnut said:

Evil genius, Han shot first for me today. 

Doing some "Imma head out" right now. Really wish they would bring back "Flyin Hawaiian". Punch flavored IPA sounds nasty, but its really an incredible summer beer.

Cracked open a bottle of Henry McKenna Bottled In Bond 10 Year Old on Monday evening. 

I spent close to 18 hours of the MLK Holiday weekend working on my car.  It was supposed to be a simply wheel bearing job.  Started around 2pm on Saturday.  While buttoning everything up on Saturday afternoon the CV axle decided it had enough.  It broke apart.  It was starting to get dark.  And I needed a new CV Axle.

I was able to pick one up on Sunday morning after Church. I also rented some tools to pull the housing of the old CV axle out which was still attached to the transmission housing.  It was around 1pm and I set to work.  Got the old housing out, new CV Axle installed and buttoned everything up (again).  No gears and car would have rolled down my driveway while in Park because I had NO GEARS when tried moving it if not for the wheen chucks (also use wheel chucks!)  Was also making grinding noise when putting back in park.  I hadn't set the CV Axle into the transmission enough.  It was leaking transmission fluid from where the CV Axle goes into the transmission which was also a hint that it wasn't set enough.  It was dark again.

Monday, at Noon I took everything apart (again).  Whacked the end of the CV Axle with a rubber mallet and LIGHTLY a few times with a small sledge hammer.  It looked set now (I hoped).  Went to button everything up.  The piston on the brake caliber wouldn't push back in for me to put in the brake pads and put it back on the rotor.  I made two trips to differenct stores to buy bigger and better tools to try to push the piston back in.  No luck.  That sucker was FROZEN (kinda like me sitting in my drivewary trying to fix this damn thing in 30, soon to be upper 20 degree weather when the sun went down).

I should have stopped trying to push piston back in after wasting 1.5 hours!  I had one of my neighbors who is a REAL gear head and literally works for NASCAR take a look the piston.  He couldn't move it either and confirmed it was toast.  Ran out (again) to auto parts store.  Purchased a new brake caliber and brake pads.  I had destroyed one of the old pads using it to try to push the piston back in with first tool and then a large C-Clamp.

Finally got it all put back together at 9pm on Monday evening.  This time it moved forward and reverse when put in gear and held in place once put into Park (with no grinding noises).  Also no leaking transmission fluid.  It had started to snow about two hours prior.  Took it for a quick test drive around a few local blocks.  Seems to be driving normally.

I needed a drink.  Cracked up a bottle of Henry McKenna Bottled In Bond 10 Year.  I had a double.

Will take it for a more complete test drive soon.  

• Like 1