Tom-NJ2AS

FID & PP Card Township Paperwork Requirements

They send a form to your employer asking if the employer knows of any reason the applicant shouldn't have a firearm.

ILLEGAL - should be reported to ANJRPC. The employer data on the application (STS-033) is to be used for employment verification ONLY. Using the employer as a reference and disclosing it is for a firearm, violates privacy (NJAC 13:54-1.15) and has the potential to cause someone to lose their job.

ILLEGAL - should be reported to ANJRPC. The employer data on the application (STS-033) is to be used for employment verification ONLY. Using the employer as a reference and disclosing it is for a firearm, violates privacy (NJAC 13:54-1.15) and has the potential to cause someone to lose their job.

Somers Point still does this, I'm drafting another email to ANJRPC.

ILLEGAL - should be reported to ANJRPC. The employer data on the application (STS-033) is to be used for employment verification ONLY. Using the employer as a reference and disclosing it is for a firearm, violates privacy (NJAC 13:54-1.15) and has the potential to cause someone to lose their job.

My company has a copy of what they rec'd and what they sent back to the PD. I'm going to get copies of both and will contact ANJRPC. I'll also look into that code and decide what I'll do directly on my end. At some point I'll probably send the PD, Mayor and Town Council something in writing telling them they are violating the law and need to terminate this practice. If they blow it off or say no, I may decide to sue the township.

NJAC 13:54-1.15 isn't totally clear on the limitations of what the PD can do. That seems to be located elsewhere. The question is what constitutes an investigation and what are they permitted to divulge to those they contact in the course of that investigation. This has probably been sorted out by ANJRPC. I'll see what else I can locate.

Thanks.

So I got a look at what the PD sent my company.  It was simply an employment verification.  No mention of why they are asking and no mention of firearms.  Just my name and address and asking am I employed there.  Y/N.

When they got the form initially the person said they rec'd a questionnaire. Leading me to think it was more than just employment verification.

So my town is at least following the law and being reasonably timely with IDs and permits.  Good to know I suppose.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am attempting to collect each towns requirements for the FID card and Pistol Permits. If you happen to pass by your local police department, stop in and ask for all paperwork required for each. Or if you know your townships are all online, download them and email them to me. You can either scan them and email them after you get them, or mail them to me.

Thanks

Tom

NJ2AS.COM

[email protected]

P.O. Box 128

Manahawkin, NJ 08050

A buddy of mine lives up in Franklin Borough - up in Sussex County. Every time he applies for a handgun P2P they have him go on the NJSP website and submit a 212A... "Request for a Criminal History Record Information for a Noncriminal Justice Purposes".

Are they out of line up there in Franklin or what?

If so, what can he do to get them squared away?

A buddy of mine lives up in Franklin Borough - up in Sussex County. Every time he applies for a handgun P2P they have him go on the NJSP website and submit a 212A... "Request for a Criminal History Record Information for a Noncriminal Justice Purposes".

Are they out of line up there in Franklin or what?

If so, what can he do to get them squared away?

That's the correct process

That's the correct process

Thanks for replying.

I have lived all over North Jersey. I don't believe I have ever been asked to complete that form.

Some of the other guys at work are "gun guys" too. We all live in different towns. Nobody else is asked to submit that form.

It cost's 20 bucks to submit that thing to the NJSP. My buddy in Franklin pays that out of his pocket every time he applies for a set of P2P's.

So, he pays the state 20 bucks and his town 6 bucks (3 permits) every time he wants 3 P2P's.

By contrast, I live in XXXX. Every time I want a set of 3 P2P's it only cost's me 6 bucks. I go to the PD with a completed form 033, a five and a single. Once a year the detective has me complete a new Mental Health consent form. That's a freebee. That's it.

Which town is out of whack???

Thanks for replying.

I have lived all over North Jersey. I don't believe I have ever been asked to complete that form.

Some of the other guys at work are "gun guys" too. We all live in different towns. Nobody else is asked to submit that form.

It cost's 20 bucks to submit that thing to the NJSP. My buddy in Franklin pays that out of his pocket every time he applies for a set of P2P's.

So, he pays the state 20 bucks and his town 6 bucks (3 permits) every time he wants 3 P2P's.

By contrast, I live in XXXX. Every time I want a set of 3 P2P's it only cost's me 6 bucks. I go to the PD with a completed form 033, a five and a single. Once a year the detective has me complete a new Mental Health consent form. That's a freebee. That's it.

The Non-Criminal Background Check is required every time you apply for P2P's or a FPID - unless this is the initial application, in which case fingerprinting is required. What may be confusing you is that the 212A is now done on-line - which theoretically speeds things up. Before it was strictly hardcopy and even the form was not available on line. Didn't you ever have to have a money order for $18 made out to the NJSP - SBI? The on-line version adds the $2 "convenience" fee. So, if you live(ed) in towns that did not require it, they were in violation of state law.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

By contrast, I live in XXXXX. Every time I want a set of 3 P2P's it only cost's me 6 bucks. I go to the PD with a completed form 033, a five and a single. Once a year the detective has me complete a new Mental Health consent form. That's a freebee. That's it.

Your town is.  Now shut up please before NJSP notices and notifies all departments.  OK?  I like not having to pay an additional $20 each time.

• Like 1

I recently applied for a FOID FPID change of address (same town as originally issued) and another 3 P2Ps with Cherry Hill PD.

They have a convenient "firearms packet" online. Actually does a fairly good job laying out the procedure for first time vs. existing FOID holders. The usual stuff is there, the SBI-212A (Criminal Background Check) order link, STS-033 FOID FPID application form, SP-66 (Mental Health consent form) and they have one local form, CHPD Next of Kin (#288) form.

I completed everything and my two references and spouse received their reference letters in the US Mail within 1 to 2 days. Confirmed with everyone that they were mailed back within a day, and now just waiting...and waiting...

I think it's funny that, being a gun-owner and FOID FPID holder (albeit with the wrong address), they asked my wife if she had any objection. Wonder what the process is should some spouse answer "Yes - I object" and there are already guns in the home? Maybe they send someone around to chat.

Oh they did have one other form available (SP-650) which is a "Voluntary Firearm Registration" form. I clicked on the link just to see what it was, but the link was broken. Oh well...

I recently applied for a FOID change of address (same town as originally issued) and another 3 P2Ps with Cherry Hill PD.

They have a convenient "firearms packet" online. Actually does a fairly good job laying out the procedure for first time vs. existing FOID holders. The usual stuff is there, the SBI-212A (Criminal Background Check) order link, STS-033 FOID application form, SP-66 (Mental Health consent form) and they have one local form, CHPD Next of Kin (#288) form.

I completed everything and my two references and spouse received their reference letters in the US Mail within 1 to 2 days. Confirmed with everyone that they were mailed back within a day, and now just waiting...and waiting...

I think it's funny that, being a gun-owner and FOID holder (albeit with the wrong address), they asked my wife if she had any objection. Wonder what the process is should some spouse answer "Yes - I object" and there are already guns in the home? Maybe they send someone around to chat.

Oh they did have one other form available (SP-650) which is a "Voluntary Firearm Registration" form. I clicked on the link just to see what it was, but the link was broken. Oh well...

Illegal?!?!?!

I recently applied for a FOID change of address (same town as originally issued) and another 3 P2Ps with Cherry Hill PD.

They have a convenient "firearms packet" online. Actually does a fairly good job laying out the procedure for first time vs. existing FOID holders. The usual stuff is there, the SBI-212A (Criminal Background Check) order link, STS-033 FOID application form, SP-66 (Mental Health consent form) and they have one local form, CHPD Next of Kin (#288) form.

I think it's funny that, being a gun-owner and FOID holder (albeit with the wrong address), they asked my wife if she had any objection. Wonder what the process is should some spouse answer "Yes - I object" and there are already guns in the home? Maybe they send someone around to chat.

FPID, not FOID. Purchasers card, not owners card.

100% illegal

Notarized letters are a joke

Try it. Inquiring minds want to know.

DO NOT FILL THAT OUT.

FPID, not FOID. Purchasers card, not owners card.

100% illegal

Notarized letters are a joke

Try it. Inquiring minds want to know.

DO NOT FILL THAT OUT.

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the color coding - very cool. Point taken on the FPID card name. Don't know why I had FOID on my mind - and yes, it's an important distinction.

I find those reference letters really offensive. Since my references are both gun owners and know the process, I didn't feel as much a victim of the state-sponsored attempt at shaming this go round. I would have drawn the line if the forms had to be notorized (they didn't). At some point, some municipality is probably going to want to get your neighbor's approval (if somewhere they aren't already). The spouse notification I suspected was over-the-top, but went along with it because (a) I  knew my wife would laugh and sign the form and (b) didn't want a one to three month wait to turn into a legal battle and take a year. Sorry if that means I've been co-opted. Maybe once I have my P2Ps in hand, I'll raise a stink.

Hope NJSP calls the references . Only problem, I have been waiting now 5 months for my initial FID. They are telling me they sent out a mental health check to NY in January and are still waiting on NY's response.

Now I know why some people will go the other route for a gun. I don't agree; but I can empathize.  

CHPD is no longer asking the references to notarize? Hmmmm. I guess they turned their antigun stance toward the spousal form.

I mentioned earlier (perhaps in another thread), the chiefs change often it seems lately. I got my P2Ps and new FID today, 6 1/2 weeks after first applying. Nothing had to be notorized. Reference letters were sent out within a day of my application. Captain of the Firearms Unit returned my calls promptly. I can't complain about CHPD at all.

Years ago, I knew a lot of guys on the force. Some were gun enthusiasts, some not. I think with many departments, it comes down to the individuals or chief's own views, unfortunately. Shouldn't be that way, but you now the saying, "All politics is local".  Might be time for me to stock up before the next regime change has someone who'll slow-walk the process. 

Oh, and after waiting all that time and jumping through all those hoops, my NICS "instant" background check took 3 hours. 

I've been trying to obtain a firearms purchasing permit and every time I request for the permits application papers I'm always told no by the NJ State Police because of my record,but I don't have any convictions only charges that have been dismissed thrown out of court and none of them involved any kind of assault or battery or anything else in those lines and I've been dealing with this for yrs now. Can anyone please help me with this, the firearms that I do own I'm legally allowed to own and I get my Firearms hunting license and archery license every year for the last 27years and have no problem with purchasing them and if you have any convictions in N.J they don't allow you to get your hunting license.

I really need help with this because the State Police are really infringing on my second amendment rights and abusing there power.

Others here have recommended that in situations like yours, where you've been denied a permit, you need to contact a lawyer familiar with Firearms issues.

Like this one.

http://www.evannappen.com/

FREE CONSULTATION AVAILABLE

Call (732) 389-8888
21 Throckmorton Ave.
Eatontown, NJ  07724

Evan Nappen is very prominent in the 2A world and is one example of an attorney that could help you.  Sounds like you need advice from a lawyer that specializes in firearms.  It won't cost you anything to call his office and ask a few questions.  But it will cost some money to have him work on your issue.  I'm not sure how much it will cost you.  Maybe a 2 or 3 thousand dollars.  But he or someone in his office could help you with the cost question.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Here's what I believe are the relevant parts of state code that would apply to your situation.  Not saying you are in violation of any of this. But here for your reference.

6. Certain Persons Not to Have Weapons.

a. Except as provided in subsection b. of this section, any person, having been convicted in this State or elsewhere of the crime of aggravated assault, arson, burglary, escape, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault, bias intimidation in violation of N.J.S.2C:16-1 or endangering the welfare of a child pursuant to N.J.S.2C:24-4, whether or not armed with or having in his possession any weapon enumerated in subsection r. of N.J.S.2C:39-1, or any person convicted of a crime pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-3, N.J.S.2C:39-4 or N.J.S.2C:39-9, or any person who has ever been committed for a mental disorder to any hospital, mental institution or sanitarium unless he possesses a certificate of a medical doctor orpsychiatrist licensed to practice in New Jersey or other satisfactory proof that he is no longer suffering from a mental disorder which interferes with or handicaps him in the
handling of a firearm, or any person who has been convicted of other than a disorderly persons or petty disorderly persons offense for the unlawful use, possession or sale of a controlled dangerous substance as defined in N.J.S.2C:35-2 who purchases, owns, possesses or controls any of the said weapons is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

b. (1) A person having been convicted in this State or elsewhere of the crime of aggravated assault, arson, burglary, escape, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault, bias intimidation in violation of N.J.S.2C:16-1, endangering the welfare of a child pursuant to N.J.S.2C:24-4, stalking pursuant to P.L.1992, c.209 (C.2C:12-10) or a crime involving domestic violence as defined in section 3 of P.L.1991, c.261 (C.2C:25-19), whether or not armed with or having in his possession a weapon enumerated in subsection r. of N.J.S.2C:39-1, or a person having been convicted of a crime pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.2C:35-3 through N.J.S.2C:35-6, inclusive; section 1 of P.L.1987, c.101 (C.2C:35-7); N.J.S.2C:35-11; N.J.S.2C:39-3; N.J.S.2C:39-4; or N.J.S.2C:39-9 who purchases, owns, possesses or controls a firearm is guilty of a crime of the second degree and upon conviction thereof, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment by the court. The term of imprisonment shall include the imposition of a minimum term, which shall be fixed at five years, during which the defendant shall be ineligible for parole. If the defendant is sentenced to an extended term of imprisonment pursuant to N.J.S.2C:43-7, the extended term of imprisonment shall include the imposition of a minimum term, which shall be fixed at, or between, one-third and one-half of the sentence imposed by the court or five years, whichever is greater, during which the defendant shall be ineligible
for parole.

(2) A person having been convicted in this State or elsewhere of a disorderly persons offense involving domestic violence, whether or not armed with or having in his possession a weapon enumerated in subsection r. of N.J.S.2C:39-1, who purchases, owns, possesses or controls a firearm is guilty of a crime of the third degree.(3) A person whose firearm is seized pursuant to the "Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991," P.L.1991,c.261 (C.2C:25-17 et seq.) and whose firearm has not been returned, or who is subject to a court order prohibiting the possession of firearms issued pursuant to the "Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991," P.L.1991,c.261 (C.2C:25-17 et seq.) who purchases, owns, possesses or controls a firearm is guilty of a crime of the third degree, except that the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any law enforcement officer while actually on duty, or to any member of the Armed Forces of the United States or member of the National Guard while actually on duty or traveling to or from an authorized place of duty.

c. Whenever any person shall have been convicted in another state, territory, commonwealth or other jurisdiction of the United States, or any country in the world, in a court of competent jurisdiction, of a crime which in said other jurisdiction or country is comparable to one of the crimes enumerated in subsection a. or b. of this section, then that person shall be subject to the provisions of this section.

Here's what I believe are the relevant parts of state code that would apply to your situation.  Not saying you are in violation of any of this. But here for your reference.

the problem i have with his situation, is that i believe it to be illegal for the state pd to refuse to give him the paperwork. it's not the desk jockey's job to judge him. it's the desk jockeys job to hand him the applications, and let him fill them out. then if there's anything to trip a flag, it'll come up during the checks. i feel that they're seriously breaking the law here.

also......i sent him here, telling him that there's TONS of knowledge here, and bunches of you guys that could steer him in the right direction.

• Like 1

the problem i have with his situation, is that i believe it to be illegal for the state pd to refuse to give him the paperwork. it's not the desk jockey's job to judge him. it's the desk jockeys job to hand him the applications, and let him fill them out. then if there's anything to trip a flag, it'll come up during the checks. i feel that they're seriously breaking the law here.

also......i sent him here, telling him that there's TONS of knowledge here, and bunches of you guys that could steer him in the right direction.

^^^^ I agree

I posted those parts of the code so he could be, if he wasn't already, certain he no issues.  Some LEO's have the belief that non-LEO's with a firearm are a threat to public safety and it's their job to see to it that as few non-LEO's as possible have firearms.   Regardless of whether or not the law says they can buy and possess one.    Knock off one citizen's 2A right?  A win for an LEO of that mindset.  Your rights are... secondary...

I believe LEO's such as that are in the minority.  But one is too many.

Sorry.. getting off topic a bit.

NGH, call Nappen or another lawyer.  The 2A lawyer that was at the 2A panel discussion.  Jonathan Goldstein.   http://mcnellygoldstein.com/attorney/jonathan-goldstein/   He's licensed to practice in NJ.  A conversation with one of them will give you a direction to take this and you'll have a better idea of what you need to do next, and how much it may cost.

BTW: We should be able to sue the LEO/CLEO (personally) for legal costs when we are successful in these cases/situations.

^^^^ I agree

I posted those parts of the code so he could be, if he wasn't already, certain he no issues.  Some LEO's have the belief that non-LEO's with a firearm are a threat to public safety and it's their job to see to it that as few non-LEO's as possible have firearms.   Regardless of whether or not the law says they can buy and possess one.    Knock off one citizen's 2A right?  A win for an LEO of that mindset.  Your rights are... secondary...

I believe LEO's such as that are in the minority.  But one is too many.

Sorry.. getting off topic a bit.

NGH, call Nappen or another lawyer.  The 2A lawyer that was at the 2A panel discussion.  Jonathan Goldstein.   http://mcnellygoldstein.com/attorney/jonathan-goldstein/   He's licensed to practice in NJ.  A conversation with one of them will give you a direction to take this and you'll have a better idea of what you need to do next, and how much it may cost.

BTW: We should be able to sue the LEO/CLEO (personally) for legal costs when we are successful in these cases/situations.

that could be stretched to be a precedent set with the suit going forward against remington........

I've been trying to obtain a firearms purchasing permit and every time I request for the permits application papers I'm always told no by the NJ State Police because of my record,but I don't have any convictions only charges that have been dismissed thrown out of court and none of them involved any kind of assault or battery or anything else in those lines and I've been dealing with this for yrs now. Can anyone please help me with this, the firearms that I do own I'm legally allowed to own and I get my Firearms hunting license and archery license every year for the last 27years and have no problem with purchasing them and if you have any convictions in N.J they don't allow you to get your hunting license.

I really need help with this because the State Police are really infringing on my second amendment rights and abusing there power.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/forms.shtml  I believe this link should allow you to print what you need, and submit.  

I would def, Give the lawyer a call. .  . 

In your research I thought you might want to know, I have to use State Police.  Although the paper work is the same the polices vary from barracks to barracks.  At one Barracks (Somerville) I got it all rapped up in 3 weeks and with respect.  At Kingswood I'm on my 3rd week without any word or finger print number and you can't ask any questions without your head getting bit off.  And forget about what their website says, they do what they want when you get there.

In Jersey City, it's a relatively easy process: 

Week one: submitted the application and 2 days later, my references got the state police letters. Local police asked me to do fingerprinting in parallel while my references are responding to the NJSP letters and getting them notarized. 

Week two: references sent the notarized letters back to my local PD and I went to get fingerprinted. 

Week three: called JCPD, the police detective said my FID will be ready for pickup next Monday. 

Week four: picked up my FID. 

Hope this helps.

On 1/25/2012 at 0:10 AM, Qel Hoth said:

As promised, the form CHPD mailed my father.post-4274-0-99091200-1327468224_thumb.png

While other people living at my house certainly do have the right to object to firearms, they DO NOT have the right to object to me obtaining a FID...

That is not legal.  By NJ law they can only request the docs outlined by the state.