Tom-NJ2AS

FID & PP Card Township Paperwork Requirements

I got a permit in June '12 but never used it. I didnt know they expired quickly. I took basic handgun class in October and was told by the guy at the range that they were only good for 3 months. "Oh hell" I thought....I'll just reapply once I decide what I want to purchase.

So, I go to TRPD today and I'm told to apply for a new one...as I expected. But they handed me the mental health form, the criminal background form, and the info on where to get fingerprinted....again. To top it off, TRPD tells me that they are actually good for 6 months! I could have made a purchase in November or December....Dammit!

So, I'm looking at the form and I have no freakin' clue what my SBI or FBI numberrs are. Anyone know?

Thanks!

So, I'm looking at the form and I have no freakin' clue what my SBI or FBI numberrs are. Anyone know?

If you got an FPID your SBI number is the same as your FPID number. It should also be on your expired P2P's. In order for your permits to be good for 180 days, they have to be extended at the 90 day mark. The fact that your PD told you they were good for 180 days is an indicator that the chief has no problem doing that (it is at the CLEO's discretion - some PD's won't extend). Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Applied for my FPID and P2P a few days ago at Morris Township PD. Provided my two references and the address of my employer in the box listed on the form. Got printed etc.

Now yesterday I get a call from another member of the PD saying they need my supervisor's information to send another reference letter. I called them today and expressed that if it was to verify employment I understood, however they said it was a verification of employment, character reference, and did indeed say "we are writing you because employee X is applying for a P2P" or something to that effect.

I questioned the legality of the letter saying "why" they were sending, and how it was probably in violation of 13:54-1.15. They said it was not, and that "they have done X hundred FPIDs and I am the first person to question the employer reference and they are interested to know why". I said based upon my job there is absolutely zero reason for me to be concerned with a character reference, however it is bs that any employer should have to be contacted for anything other than verification employment. They essentially said I provide it or the application gets ripped up...

I went to trpd last week to apply for more permits and was told that njsp changed the rules 2 months ago and now i need to submit a $18 money order along with my $2 permit fee every time i apply. This was never the case any other time i had apied in the past. Anyone have a similar issue?

Btw the forms they required were applicant information form, mental health form, permit application, and the yellow one for the sp.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I picked up my initial FID and very first P2P on Thursday. I had to pay for my prints as the sub it out, but my cost for the application and P2P was only $7(due at pick up no less). I insisted it should have been more and she promised me that was all.

Thats correct, $5 for the FID and $2 for each P2P. The price is same ever where. The finger printing is done by outside vendor and they charge separately about $57+.

Just went to Jersey City to drop of my paperwork to have a change of address done. I brought form STS-003 filled out along with a cashiers check for $18. I knew I would have to fill out the mental health form as well. To my surprise, they gave my a whole packet of information to fill out. I have to fill out STS-033, provide references, mental health release, jersey city questionnaire that wants employers information, who i live with, their SS#, a reason for wanting a FID, etc...

WTF?

Gloucester City has just the standard form from the state police and the mental health form so far. Submitted one week ago yesterday, March 26th. PD already had my prints electronically. Both references were returned as of yesterday. i am hoping they perform a miracle and get my junk by the end of the week. I know, i know.......Ain't gonna happen right?

Update!

Gloucester pd is now requiring a different consent form which basically gives them the right to ask anybody, anything about you. They are also including a questionnaire. Not sure why because the sheet basically duplicates the standard application. My wife attempted to drop her app off last week and was given this additional form.

I dropped off 2 P2P apps a week ago. The girl out front went over my app, took my money and said I was all set. The other day she left a message that she needed "a couple more things" from me. I will find out tomorrow or Tuesday what those things are. On the positive side, one of my references already received his letter. I will try to update during the week.

I am an active duty army soldier living in Colts Neck on NWS Earle. I have a NJ license with my Colts Neck address listed on it. The Colts Neck PD is then authorized to do my paperwork. If I still had my CA license I would have to go through the NJSP. The detective thought I had to go through the NJSP even though the first paragraph of their instructions says they can process my FPID and p2p. I turned in the typical paperwork and was told since I live on NWS Earle I needed a memo from the base commander authorizing me to have a privately owned weapon in housing. I provided a letter from the privatized housing administration office verifying my residence and states that firearms are allowed in housing.

This letter was not good enough and now they are working on getting a letter from the base security in lieu of a memo signed by the base commander.

I think this is ridiculous. Why make it even harder for active duty military to go through the process than every other civilian?

• Like 1

I am an active duty army soldier living in Colts Neck on NWS Earle. I have a NJ license with my Colts Neck address listed on it. The Colts Neck PD is then authorized to do my paperwork. If I still had my CA license I would have to go through the NJSP. The detective thought I had to go through the NJSP even though the first paragraph of their instructions says they can process my FPID and p2p. I turned in the typical paperwork and was told since I live on NWS Earle I needed a memo from the base commander authorizing me to have a privately owned weapon in housing. I provided a letter from the privatized housing administration office verifying my residence and states that firearms are allowed in housing.

This letter was not good enough and now they are working on getting a letter from the base security in lieu of a memo signed by the base commander.

I think this is ridiculous. Why make it even harder for active duty military to go through the process than your average civilian?

The question should be "why make it harder for the law abiding citizen than the average criminal?"

The question should be "why make it harder for the law abiding citizen than the average criminal?"

Yes that should be the question... I wasn't implying that being military should get any special treatment, just the same treatment as every other person that applies.

They don't ask someone's apartment complex manager if its ok for them to purchase one, so what is the difference?

Yes that should be the question... I wasn't implying that being military should get any special treatment, just the same treatment as every other person that applies.

They don't ask someone's apartment complex manager if its ok for them to purchase one, so what is the difference?

USAF 86-90 and I feel the same way as you, 100%

I was not attacking your statement, I was reframing it in a way that NJ residents who dont have any firearm buying experience outside of NJ may understand a little differently. The majority of them grew up with these laws and consider them "normal", they are not.

Fair Lawn.

Regular application, Mental health form and another Form that must be notarized specifically with Raised Seal. third forms is to basically say, yeah.. i swear I am not crazy and not an alcoholic.

previous guy that managed the process was great. 4 -6 weeks. very reasonable.

now there is new guy, will see how he is.

I do hate it that they almost make you beg for permits.. the fact that I am paying their salary is not enough apparently..

one more thing... they do require original birth certificate, everytime.. so they must have at least 10 copies of mine already :wild:

Regarding New Milford, NJ:

http://www.newmilfordnjpd.org/firearmsApplication.htm

All the information needed is at the website. I needed to do a change of address and also picked up 2 pistol permits. I started the process in late December 2012. Had my paperwork back in about one month. All in all a good experience with no added BS.

Wish I copied the forms I filled out in WTP. I know there was the standard form and mental health. Also on the form it did ask for my employer name add and phone number. My employer will not give out any employment verification, unless it goes through a system. I have to initiate it. It will be 10 weeks I have been waiting for my FID and P2P. I checked last week and was told it is in house and waiting on background check. They cashed my check the begining of February, so I am guessing it sat all that time. They told me once the backgrounds are in they will give me a call. I am guessing another month or so. Brutal. Thankfully I have the pistol I want on hold at a local gun shop.

one more thing... they do require original birth certificate, everytime.. so they must have at least 10 copies of mine already :wild:

What?

Do they insist on your birth certificate? I just use my passport when applying. That should be good enough.

I just recently applied this month at Garfield, NJ all I had to do was fill out the firearms licsence application, background check, mental check, 2 references and get fingerprinted. The officer said it may take a month or 2 maybe longer for him to call me to let me know if I got my licsence. So now I wait . . .

I just recently applied this month at Garfield, NJ all I had to do was fill out the firearms licsence application, background check, mental check, 2 references and get fingerprinted. The officer said it may take a month or 2 maybe longer for him to call me to let me know if I got my licsence. So now I wait . . .

Month or two? Good luck, and I hope it is that short. I am on week 10 now. My town had 150 applications in January, and i heard they expecting more than that for Feb. I applied in December.

Month or two? Good luck, and I hope it is that short. I am on week 10 now. My town had 150 applications in January, and i heard they expecting more than that for Feb. I applied in December.

Thats what the officer said but I overheard him and the secretary talking about their anit-gun views and when I asked him how can I check up on the status of the application he told me "I'll call you" also sounded a bit annoyed. He was also looking for any mistake on the application ready to reject them. Idk but I'm sure hes gonna takes his time with it which sucks. I"m not in any hurry to get my first gun and I don't expect to be the priority because I'm sure there are more important things but I do expect him to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. I'll start calling in April if I haven't heard from him yet.

Good evening...

Looking to be a new gun owner, I'm a "forum noob" here... I've been taking some lessons out at the Heritage Guild in Easton so that I'm prepared to be a gun owner whenever I get my ID/permits back from the PD..

Anyway...

I live in Woodbridge..

Last week of January

I submitted the standard application STS 033

The lady at PD took my drivers license and used it to fill out the Mental Health form herself

I paid $5 for the ID and $2 each for the handgun permits, cash, got a receipt.. was told they average about 4 to 6 weeks to get the card & permits once the fingerprints are done... could that be true?

Was given the form & info for fingerprinting for Morpho track... had to wait nearly 2 weeks for an appointment i could actually get to on time, South Plainfield... setup appointment and paid $57.50 online

PD and Morpho told me I do nothing else... that PD gets the fingerprints back from Morpho somehow... so Now i'm just waiting...

BUT at my last lesson in Easton, the instructor told me I was supposed to pay $18 by money order for the background check??? he was shocked that I didn't do this and that no one told me this??? is he wrong??? or is woodbridge PD intentionally not telling people about this to delay things??? I'm a 'details guy' and would definately remember if i was told/asked to get an $18 money order, it was never mentioned verbally or on any written document i have

please advise on this $18 money order issue??

is it somehow covered by the $57 morphotrack payment??

The PD in my town did not take any money. I asked several times are you sure I don't need to pay now and was told I could pay when I picked up my FID and permits. It's only been 6 weeks so I don't want to call yet but in another week or so I will request a status update.