Tom-NJ2AS

FID & PP Card Township Paperwork Requirements

Does NJ allow FOIA (freedom of information act) request about yourself to your local police department?  If so, can anyone point me to an official form or references that I can use.

This is the reason I am asking about this:

I had a run in with Kearny PD last October when the officer took a photo of me when I applied for a hand gun permit (I was all new to this and I am still learning). 

My NJ gun community people told me later that this is completely unlawful and that I need to reach out to the chief of KPD with a complaint. 

To make the story short, the Chief told me that the photo was "voluntary" and will be deleted. Of course, I asked for proof and heard nothing more from him.

NJ2AS filed a complaint of law violation to the Hudson County but as you know, anti-gunners rule Hudson County so I don't expect anything to happen there.

That's the reason I am asking for the directions if possible on a FOIA request about myself to my local police department.  I need to know if the photo was really deleted and what else they have on me.

Thanks in Advance.

In NJ it is the OPRA (Open Public Records Act). Here is the website...

http://www.state.nj.us/opra/

I think that you are fighting an uphill battle (aren't they all) as they will hide behind this...

NJAC 13:54-1.15, which states: Any background investigation conducted by the chief of police, the Superintendent or the county prosecutor, of any applicant for a permit, firearms identification card license, or registration, in accordance with the requirements of this chapter, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such investigation, including the applicant. Any application for a permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any document reflecting the issuance or denial of such permit, firearms identification card, or license, and any permit, firearms identification card, license, certification, certificate, form of register, or registration statement, maintained by any State or municipal governmental agency, is not a public record and shall not be disclosed to any person not authorized by law or this chapter to have access to such documentation, including the applicant, except on the request of persons acting in their governmental capacities for purposes of the administration of justice.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cops in my friends town told him he needs to get fingerprinted again for 2 new P2P - is this right?

Bernards Twp pulls the same crap. If more than 1 year since last set...

You're right it is crap, but it is at the discretion of the CLEO. Perfectly legal.

This looks like an extra for for Edison.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.edisonnj.org/town_hall/administrative_departments/police_division/docs/Authorization_Release_Form.PDF

Last time I put in for permits I asked about it.

I was told it's not necessary and your permits will still be processed without it.

I didn't fill it out and my references got their letters two days later.

EDIT:

The woman who handles firearms stuff has always been very professional and helpful.

So aside from that form still being up on the website, Edison isn't bad to deal with at all.

Last time I put in for permits I asked about it.

I was told it's not necessary and your permits will still be processed without it.

I didn't fill it out and my references got their letters two days later.

EDIT:

The woman who handles firearms stuff has always been very professional and helpful.

So aside from that form still being up on the website, Edison isn't bad to deal with at all.

Thanks!

just curious, if I put in for more pistol permits(already have my fpid) do I still need to make two copies, and do they need to make another photocopy of my license. Or do I just give one or two copies of the standard application's and start the waiting process. Sorry if I lost or confused anyone.

just curious, if I put in for more pistol permits(already have my fpid) do I still need to make two copies, and do they need to make another photocopy of my license. Or do I just give one or two copies of the standard application's and start the waiting process. Sorry if I lost or confused anyone.

Well, in my case, my DL had been renewed since the last time I applied for anything, so I let them copy the new DL.   Other than that, standard paperwork, and this time I did the Electronic SB121A.

Somers Point PD sent a reference letter to my employer. Wasn't a problem since my boss just through the process himself and obviously isn't anti 2A or anything.

that seems like a breach of privacy if you did not give them permission to contact your employer. 

that seems like a breach of privacy if you did not give them permission to contact your employer. 

I'm thinking they would argue otherwise. The "employer info." is a required item on the sts-033 (questions 12 & 13).  The PD has the right to "investigate" the application, meaning they can contact the employer.  What is truly the "breach" is that employer info. is "required" at all. As long as having/carrying the weapon is not part of one's employment, what business is it of the employer's?  But, for some reason, it must be important to the State, as it is a required info. item... so much so, that it seems to be listed on the end P2P doc itself! :dontknow:

I'm self-employed, so it's not a big deal for me, but I can see were it might be an issue for someone who works at an "anti" company and is trying to stay "in the closet."  If they're "outed" by the PD, they could be fired. And the employee wouldn't likely prevail in a civil action against the PD for "outing" them, if said action even got that far. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking they would argue otherwise. The "employer info." is a required item on the sts-033 (questions 12 & 13).  The PD has the right to "investigate" the application, meaning they can contact the employer.  What is truly the "breach" is that employer info. is "required" at all. As long as having/carrying the weapon is not part of one's employment, what business is it of the employer's?  But, for some reason, it must be important to the State, as it is a required info. item... so much so, that seems to be listed on the end P2P doc itself! :dontknow:

I'm self-employed, so it's not a big deal for me, but I can see were it might be an issue for someone who works at an "anti" company and is trying to stay "in the closet."  If they're "outed" by the PD, they could be fired. And the employee wouldn't likely prevail in a civil action against the PD for "outing" them, if said action even got that far. :rolleyes:

Yes, the requirement is wrong, it is nobodies business what property I own. Especially if the right to own that property is my Constitutional right.

Like you, I also own a small business and our "employers" are our customers, what if they started asking our customers about our private property???

According to the NJSP Secret Manual (which carries no weight of law), the employer information is supposed to be used for employment verification only. The PD's that abuse this use that info as a third reference, which, according to the NJAC is a breach of privacy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

According to the NJSP Secret Manual (which carries no weight of law), the employer information is supposed to be used for employment verification only. The PD's that abuse this use that info as a third reference, which, according to the NJAC is a breach of privacy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What does being employed have to do with a Constitutional right?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Does the "manual" also say why the occupation/Employer info. is put on the P2P doc itself?  :)   I really can't see why it needs to be there, since the investigating PD would still have the original sts-033 to store that info. Why does the FFL need to see it?

What if you're self-employed...or an independent gazillionaire who doesn't need to work?

Oh, wait....if you've got that much money, you probably are NOT living in this Godforsaken Hell Hole.

Then you just say, "self-employed..."  And, in turn, the P2P will also say, "Self-employed."  I have to wonder what the point is, honestly... :dontknow:

What does being employed have to do with a Constitutional right?

Absolutely nothing. It's just that some PD's abuse us even further by disclosing to the employer the reason for the check beyond employment verification (the original abuse - although being employed can be rationalized as an indicator of character, which they are tasked to investigate).

FYI - When I was between jobs and now retired, I just put "Unemployed" or "Retired" in that field. Made no difference.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I am happy to report that Guttenberg, NJ has decided to be compliant with the state statutes.  They accept all forms pre-filled out and follow the states documentation here:

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/20141117_firearms_appinstruct.pdf

I met with SGT. Hosie on 11/7/2014 and was in and out in five minutes.  We discussed compliant paperwork processing and he made it very clear that there will be no forms in addition to NJSP procedures.  The officer seems like a no bullshit type of person and I like that, very cut and clear.  He laughed when I handed him my money order dated 7/2013 as I refused to go through the process last year when they added additional requirements.

Also of note, if you are filling out your paperwork electronically do not sign the form unless you are in the presence of the officer filing the paperwork.  That was on 11/7/2014, it is now 11/28 and have been waiting 21 days.

Somers Point said "self-employed" was to vague and they needed to know more about my employment, bunch of BS.

I write self employed on my P2P applications all the time along with my company name and my office number. Never had any problem, or even a sideways look.

Ridgefield Park, Bergen County

If you are applying for a firearms identification card you must:

1. Fill out the application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (STS-033) (online, print and sign 2 copies). http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf
  2. Fill out the Consent for Mental Health Records Search (SP-66)do not sign this form, signature must be witnessed by a Detective. http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf
  3. You must have money order (cash or check will not be accepted) in the amount of $5.00 made out to the“Village of Ridgefield Park”
  4. You must be fingerprinted at a third-party site called “MorphoTrak”, when you drop off your application you will be given additional information/paperwork to schedule your fingerprinting. Do not contact MorphoTrak prior to dropping off your documents to a detective.
If you are applying for a permit to purchase a Handgun you must:
  1. Have a Firearms Identification Card
  2. Fill out an application to Purchase a Handgun (STS-033) (online, print and sign 2 copies)http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf
  3.  Fill out the Consent for Mental Health Records Search (SP-66), do not sign this form, signature must be witnessed by a police officer. http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf
  4. You will be given a form with instructions that need to be followed to have the SBI check completed.  This is done online and payment is made via a website.  If you do not already have a firearms identification card then you will need to also apply for a firearms identification card and follow the directions above.
  5. You must have money order (cash or check will not be accepted) in the amount of $2.00 (for each permit, for multiple permits may be one money order i.e., 2 permits $4.00 money order) made out to“Village of Ridgefield Park”.
  6. If you already have a firearms identification card, you will not have to be fingerprinted as long as your current SBI# and your identity can be verified.

If you are applying for a Duplicate Firearms Identification Card or Change of Address you must:

1. You will be given a form with instructions that need to be followed to have the SBI check completed.  This is done online and payment is made via a website.
  2. You must fill out an application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (STS-033) form (online).http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf
  3. Fill out the Consent for Mental Health Records Search (SP-66), do not sign this form, signature must be witnessed by a police officer. http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

You must be a full time resident of the Village of Ridgefield Park with proof of residency.

If you have any type of criminal history or restraining orders against you, may impact your ability to obtain a firearms identification card or a permit to purchase a handgun.

All forms must be delivered by the applicant to a detective, call the police desk to see if a detective is available or to make an appointment. It is preferred to have the form completed online and then printed out.  If the forms are filled out by hand they must be legible.  Any forms that are not legible may be rejected.

Forms cannot be dropped off at the police desk.

Forms are available online:  http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html.  Hardcopies of the application forms are no longer available.  Complete the form online at the above location and print and sign two (2) copies.

Do not sign the Consent for Mental Health Form if you complete it online, this signature must be witnessed by a detective.

If you have any additional questions please contact a detective by calling 201-641-6400 or email[email protected]

New Milford, Bergen

Applications for all firearms related permits are only

available online at the New Jersey State Police website at:

http://njsp.org/info/forms.html#firearms

Find the application you are looking for and type in all the required information. When completed, print two (2) copies of the application form. DO NOT SIGN ANY APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME. HAND WRITTEN APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

All applications require a “Consent For Mental Health Records Search” (SP-66): (http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf).   Type in all the required information and print two (2) copies of the consent form. DO NOT SIGN THE CONSENT FORM AT THIS TIME. HAND WRITTEN APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

FEES:

If you are an initial applicant, meaning that you have never applied for a firearms permit in the State of New Jersey, you will need to be fingerprinted. Please contact the below officers concerning how and where to be fingerprinted and the payment of the $57.50 fingerprint process fee.  

A $5.00 fee (cash, check or money order made out to the Borough of New Milford, N.J.) is required for an initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPIC). 

A $2.00 fee (cash, check or money order made out to the Borough of New Milford, N.J.) is required for each handgun purchase permit. (2 handgun permits=$4.00, etc.)           

*You may apply for a FPIC and a handgun purchase permit(s) on the same application and the $5.00 and $2.00 fee(s) may be combined. 

If you already have a N.J. Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPIC) and need a duplicate FPIC card to replace a lost or mutilated card or to change an address to New Milford, N.J a $20.00 fee will be paid by you online. One of the firearms processing officers will provide you with a web link and instructions on how to proceed.  

APPOINTMENTS:

Once you have your application and fees ready (or if you have any firearms related questions) call 201-261-1400 and ask to speak with Lt. Kevin Kiene, Lt. William Duby, PO Frank Haggerty ONLY to schedule an appointment to have your applications processed. No other officer(s) can process your permits. Bring some type of positive identification with you, preferably with a photograph.

Do not come to NMPD without scheduling an appointment first. Permits left with any other officer will NOT be processed.

(Revised 11/24/2014, Capt. J. Kiene)

NMPD WEB SITE