Tom-NJ2AS

FID & PP Card Township Paperwork Requirements

Both Hoboken and Westfield contact your employer, in addition to the TWO provided references.

That's some BS. There's no reason my employer needs to know this. Bringing a weapon to work is a fire-able offense for my company. I'd never break that rule because I like being employed and I'd hate for them to even think it was possible for me to break.

Somers Point NJ:

- PD requires additional forms (several pages) and additional references for both FID and P2P. Must list everyone in household and any household criminal history plus name/date of birth/last addresses/etc. for all household members. I think it also asked if any relative was convicted of a crime.

- PD requires you to waive all rights and agree to an investigation.

- PD requires detailed employer information, contacts employer. Self-employment is "too vague" and requires additional information and questioned how I "advertise".

- PD asks why you need a P2P

- Difficult to get them on the phone, usually goes to voice mail.

Oh and the Lt. in charge of FID/P2P applications called my FFL dealer and asked if my P64's, Tokarev's and Smith and Wesson pistols were "assault weapons" as he "wasn't a gun guy".

Went to local PD to get information on the 212A online submission and was given a packet for permit to purchase a hand gun. Had the usual forms (mental health background check consent form, and application, plus two reference forms). They also require you to go to your employer and have them sign off on a letter (First Link), and want to know how long you've lived at your current address (if less than 5 years to list all other addresses, second link). How can I politely tell them to pound sand? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13XtSa3KhYqVGRQOGM2bjB4aVE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13XtSa3KhYqemIwM091LV9RbnM/view?usp=sharing

Went to local PD to get information on the 212A online submission and was given a packet for permit to purchase a hand gun. Had the usual forms (mental health background check consent form, and application, plus two reference forms). They also require you to go to your employer and have them sign off on a letter (First Link), and want to know how long you've lived at your current address (if less than 5 years to list all other addresses, second link). How can I politely tell them to pound sand? 

Print this out and hand it to them, if they question it call NJSP and ask for the Firearms Unit they will confirm only the State forms are required.

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/01/judge-rules-nj-towns-can-not-arbitrarily-add-additional-requirements-for-gun-permits/#axzz2ppFrJ7My

Just remember it might stir the pot but it could save others from the same BS.

Move out of the state

Print this out and hand it to them, if they question it call NJSP and ask for the Firearms Unit they will confirm only the State forms are required.

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/01/judge-rules-nj-towns-can-not-arbitrarily-add-additional-requirements-for-gun-permits/#axzz2ppFrJ7My

Just remember it might stir the pot but it could save others from the same BS.

They told me to call the department detective and tell him about it. Because they didn't know about the court case. The officer I spoke with was actually very interested in it.

They told me to call the department detective and tell him about it. Because they didn't know about the court case. The officer I spoke with was actually very interested in it.

Call him and explain how the additional forms are not required and it's illegal to require additional forms not approved by NJSP.

Good luck! :)

So I had a meeting with the lt for carneys point. really great guy, and we needed up talking about the laws and Perez court case for well over an hour. All in all, because of the meeting I have a better understanding of how carneys point police department works. I did end up filling out those forms but not to the extent outlined. Only gave the bare minimum necessary.

I did give him a copy of the court case, for which he was thankful for. Turns out the solicitors don't hand out the full case decision. They only email a small portion of it. Do I expect a major change? No. But all in all there are worse things that could have happened and now I know that carneys point promotes ownership of firearms, and in his own words 'for self defense, as well as recreation'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I had a meeting with the lt for carneys point. really great guy, and we needed up talking about the laws and Perez court case for well over an hour. All in all, because of the meeting I have a better understanding of how carneys point police department works. I did end up filling out those forms but not to the extent outlined. Only gave the bare minimum necessary.

I did give him a copy of the court case, for which he was thankful for. Turns out the solicitors don't hand out the full case decision. They only email a small portion of it. Do I expect a major change? No. But all in all there are worse things that could have happened and now I know that carneys point promotes ownership of firearms, and in his own words 'for self defense, as well as recreation'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are still in violation of the law, NJSP published a memo advising only NJSP forms are required.

Contact anjrpc or nj2as and they will put heat on them to drop all of the illegal forms, they will not disclose your name if you request to remain anonymous.

Both Hoboken and Westfield contact your employer, in addition to the TWO provided references.

I dropped off a P2P application today in Hoboken. The officer was very friendly and approachable. He did hand me the same 3 additional forms as before, but I politely declined and explained they are illegal for me to fill out.

Extra form required by Toms River.

I am happy to report that this sheet from TRPD is no longer in the paper work they give you when filing for permits.  I filed for my last batch of permits this January (2015). The form was absent,the online background check was used and the permits are in my hands.  Took about three weeks. 

Honestly, I have to hand it to Chief Little. I met him once while he was still Captain Little because it took months to get my FPID.  He found my file in an office and send it downstairs that day.  I got the call to pick up the card and my first round of permits in something like a day or so after that.  Since he became Chief, I have noticed much faster processing times. He runs a tight ship and apparently does not let the backlog grow as it has before.

That's some BS. There's no reason my employer needs to know this. Bringing a weapon to work is a fire-able offense for my company. I'd never break that rule because I like being employed and I'd hate for them to even think it was possible for me to break.

Hoboken contacted my employer with a standard form that requests to verify my address and SSN. The form very clearly states that I am seeking a P2P or FPID, then asks if there is any reason I should not be able to purchase a firearm.

Somers Point Police Department calls the employer and tell them it's for a gun permit...every time you apply (P2P) and for the initial FPID.

Funny thing is...the Lt. called the "employer" number (it's a "trap line" and I'm self-employed) and exposed his cell phone number MINUTES after I left the PD building.

Called someone I know at a cell company and they confirmed the number and it's owner...

Also still requiring the additional city paperwork, which asks about everyone in the house...relatives (including distant relatives)...etc.

I live in Hardyston and am in the process of getting a FPID.  The clerk said I needed to give my manager's name in the employers box so they can contact him.  My problem is that my company was acquired 5 years ago and my manager is not in NJ but in IL.  Should I give them the home office address or just have them send the reference to my local HR?  They also ask for next of kin as well as Birth Certificate or proof of citizenship.  I was doing this to make getting air guns for my kids easier, but might as well get real guns if you have to go thru all of this hassle.

I live in Hardyston and am in the process of getting a FPID.  The clerk said I needed to give my manager's name in the employers box so they can contact him.  My problem is that my company was acquired 5 years ago and my manager is not in NJ but in IL.  Should I give them the home office address or just have them send the reference to my local HR?  They also ask for next of kin as well as Birth Certificate or proof of citizenship.  I was doing this to make getting air guns for my kids easier, but might as well get real guns if you have to go thru all of this hassle.

Do not fill out any additional paperwork! it is against the law and NJSP has confirmed only NJSP approved forms may be used. This means:

- Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card / Application to Purchase a Handgun (form: STS-033)

and

- Consent for Mental Health Records Search (form: SP-66)

No other forms are required, employer information is not required, birth certificates or other forms of ID are not required and are all ILLEGAL to request from applicants.

You must fill out STS-033 and SP-66, bring your valid NJ drivers license and make a check payable to the local Police Department (forget the amount off hand).

You will also be given required to complete a background check online, you must have a credit or debit card to complete the background check. The results are forwarded to the local Police Department giving them the all clear to proceed. Police Departments used to perform the check for you but now it must be done by the applicant online, this is easy and takes 5 minutes to complete.

If they demand you complete the additional paperwork or start playing games with you call the New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit at 609-882-2000 extension 2060 and someone from the Firearms Unit will set the record straight. Don't be afraid to call them in front of the local PD officer, NJSP will tell you (and them) only STS-033 and SP-66 are required and NO ADDITIONAL FORMS are needed.

You do need to list the employer on the State forms but don't worry about the employer being out of State.

Have them send the reference to your local HR.

Here are links to the forms, print these out and take them with you but DO NOT SIGN OR DATE until the officer is present.

STS-033 http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

SP-66 http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

Edit: Make it worth while and apply for 3 pistol permits too, just check "initial firearms purchaser identification card" and "application to purchase a handgun" and mark 3 in the quantity box, it is $6 for three permits ($2 each).

Remember, in NJ BB guns are considered real guns. The Daisy BB rifle you are buying is seen as a AR-15 in the eyes of NJSP.

Thanx for the updated info Carcano.  They said the process will take about 2 months.  Let's see....

It's actually required (by law) that the FPID be issued or denied within 30 days of submitting the application.

When it hits 30 days call them and be polite, keep this up and if nothing by the 60 day mark contact Evan Nappen who is the top gun lawyer in NJ. He has made plenty of calls for me over the last 2 years and never asked for a penny.

Edit: When he called my local PD I got a call at 6 AM from the Detective telling me my card was ready out of thin air, they fear lawyers and especially publicity which Nappen loves ;)

Best of luck and please update us :)

Well, I submitted my paperwork for a FPID an 2 pistol permits today.  My fingerprint appointment is next Wednesday and the reference letters will go out next week.  I was told the letters go to my 2 references and HR at my office.  The employee reference is just to get proof or employement and length of employment.  All references are sent with a SASE so hopefully they will come back quickly.  Lets see how long this takes.

Well, I submitted my paperwork for a FPID an 2 pistol permits today.  My fingerprint appointment is next Wednesday and the reference letters will go out next week.  I was told the letters go to my 2 references and HR at my office.  The employee reference is just to get proof or employement and length of employment.  All references are sent with a SASE so hopefully they will come back quickly.  Lets see how long this takes.

ask them to show you where in the Constitution it mentions you need to be employed to own a firearm

You do not need to be employed to get FPID and/or P2P. If you not employed, you can put NONE. If you are self employed - you can say so.  The form is stuck in the past and it helps the State make it unnecessarily difficult and lengthy process.

Be forewarned, Somers Point Police Department wasn't satisfied with "self-employed" and I've heard this from other towns too.

I had to be extremely specific about my employment, how I advertise, etc. they questioned why I didn't advertise and how I managed to generate income with no advertising. Very intrusive.

ask them to show you where in the Constitution it mentions you need to be employed to own a firearm

This x1000 :)

So the guy that makes $25-$35K per year shouldn't own a gun but the guy that makes $50K plus should?

Why should income matter? why should employment matter? both go hand in hand so I see it as discrimination.

Be forewarned, Somers Point Police Department wasn't satisfied with "self-employed" and I've heard this from other towns too.

I had to be extremely specific about my employment, how I advertise, etc. they questioned why I didn't advertise and how I managed to generate income with no advertising. Very intrusive.

I thought about moving to SP. I wonder what their response would be if you told them - its none of their business, give me my FPID! Better yet, on the form just put N/A

I thought about moving to SP. I wonder what their response would be if you told them - its none of their business, give me my FPID! Better yet, on the form just put N/A

Nice little town...pretty convenient around here.

I thought about telling the PD that but when I applied for my FPID but I waited and waited, called nicely and finally sent Nappen a email requesting his fees....to my surprise he called the PD at no charge on my behalf and the card was issued.

The P2P process is interesting, they questioned what handguns I was buying and if they were assault weapons...asking what each one was (I turned in the exemption request with model/make/cal/etc..) but the turnaround for the permits and exemption was around 50 or 60 days which isn't bad.

Finished my fingerprints and got a copy of the form back to my PD.  I also asked if I can increase my number of P2P since the application is just in the beginning stages and was told that it's not an issue.  Going to add 3 more for a total of 5 permits.  Also, all my reference letters went out already.  So far, pretty smooth and the Record clerk is very nice and helpful.  I guess the clock starts ticking now...