Wojo

Russia - Beslan School Siege 2004

For many of here in the US we have no idea what really transpired in Beslan. And most Russians have been denied the truth. I am about to finish the book, Terror at Beslan and have not been this disturbed in quite sometime. I had the great opportunity to be introduced to the author and have started to develop a professional friendship with him. Russia did a great job at down playing the amount of victims and casualties to the world and their own people. Once again it was radical Muslims who committed these unforgivable acts.

What I have learned about Chechnya and North Ossetian has surprised me about their involvement. Chechnya's long history and ties to Middle Eastern extremists is also very concerning. Next time you hear the media talking about Chechen rebels are fighting for their independence, chalk it up to another BS story. I'd have to agree with what I have learned, that if any country deserves to be removed from the map, it ought to be them. Any comparison to our country's fight for independence to these murderers is like comparing an act of self defense to what is going in Rwanda and the Sudan.

This act is very important because it illustrates how vulnerable we are. My concern, and I am not alone, is that it is just a matter of time before it happens here. Whether it is AQ trying to get us to release prisoners from Gitmo or some Mexican cartels or a bunch of homegrown kooks. Go home and hug your wife and kids and them that you love them.

Beslan - Wikipedia

It may not have been the most costly in terms of lives, but surely it was the most diabolical act of islamic based terrorism of our time. Inconceivably heartless and utterly horrendous.

Personally I couldn't possibly care less that the Russians periodically clean Chechen house. Hope they do so again soon, in fact.

Is that where they gassed the hell out of everybody?

That was the Nord-Ost Opera house. The problem with that was they didn't notify the local hospitals or have EMT's standing by post assault. The other problem that compounded the problem was when well intending first responders came in and pulled victims out by the arms, it compromised their lungs. Had the Russians did a better job planning for after the fact, that mission would have resulted in no innocent people dying. Another failure in not planning out completely an assault and the lack of communications. This was another muslim attack on innocent people.

I wish people wouldn't believe what they hear in public media as they do. Does the OP have evidence that what's known is not what happened?

See the movie, wag the dog and you know what I mean. I have seen time and time again that the media (and those control it) can easily sway public opinion about a country, people and nefarious acts by dictatorial states and individuals (with lots of money). Beware what you believe.

ps: i am not claiming that i know anything more about this.

I have seen the author (in Russian interviews) and can absolutely tell you, first hand from folks I know in Russia, about this tragedy. Even though it absolutely blows how many innocent Russians died, the FSB/Spetznaz is not to blame, nor do the Russian people blame them, but rather the radical muslims who carry out these attacks with love and vigor.

Radical muslims regularly go into Russian territory and kidnap citizens, they take responsibility for many attacks, yet the west is out there scolding Russia for trying to protect their citizens.

What really does stand out is how it all came 180. The soviet union was fighting the terrorist cells Afghanistan in the 80's... against the Taliban that the West installed.... yet now... the United States is fighting that same terror in Afghanistan.

I agree with Wojo... people here are shielded from all goes out and what occurs in the name of God.

Last I remember, no radical Christian, Catholic, or Jewish organization strapped on bombs on themselves to go blow up Arabs, fly airplanes into buildings, bomb hotels, bomb nightclubs, strap on a bomb to themselves in get on a crowded bus in Haifa, try to kill innocent kids in a school, or try to blow up an Opera House with innocent people.

I finished a training class a few weeks back that used the Beslan tragedy as the scenario for planning activities. Abhorrent is the main word that i can use to describe this incident.

I have very little use for people that bastardize a religion with violent actions to promote their agenda. If I say more someone will call the PC police on me.

I have seen the author (in Russian interviews) and can absolutely tell you, first hand from folks I know in Russia, about this tragedy. Even though it absolutely blows how many innocent Russians died, the FSB/Spetznaz is not to blame, nor do the Russian people blame them, but rather the radical muslims who carry out these attacks with love and vigor.

Radical muslims regularly go into Russian territory and kidnap citizens, they take responsibility for many attacks, yet the west is out there scolding Russia for trying to protect their citizens.

What really does stand out is how it all came 180. The soviet union was fighting the terrorist cells Afghanistan in the 80's... against the Taliban that the West installed.... yet now... the United States is fighting that same terror in Afghanistan.

I agree with Wojo... people here are shielded from all goes out and what occurs in the name of God.

Last I remember, no radical Christian, Catholic, or Jewish organization strapped on bombs on themselves to go blow up Arabs, fly airplanes into buildings, bomb hotels, bomb nightclubs, strap on a bomb to themselves in get on a crowded bus in Haifa, try to kill innocent kids in a school, or try to blow up an Opera House with innocent people.

I have said that time and time again... in fact this is the reason I support racial profiling in the law enforcement community.. do I think that the average "white American" should get a free pass? no of course not... but we should focus our efforts based on what we know.. especially when it comes to airport security.. I was watching something on Fox maybe a month or so ago.. and they were discussing how secure Israeli airports are.. in fact they were stating it was one of the safest in the world... the point was instead of focusing on looking for bombs.. weapons.. etc.. they look for bad PEOPLE.. while they do check luggage and all (I guess?) they focus more on the person.. something we could learn a thing or two from..

as far as Beslan from what I read which is limited I didn't see any indication that Russia performed poorly.. as stated.. they made the best of a really shitty situation.. what more can you expect or ask for.. as pointed out it is very hard to neutralize someone who has already decided that they will die if need be..

this is what happens when u have a bunch of foreignors, illegals, etc coming into the country without accepting our traditions, principles, values, etc. look at France & England going to the way of the toilet! our country is heading down the same path.

this is what happens when u have a bunch of foreignors, illegals, etc coming into the country without accepting our traditions, principles, values, etc. look at France & England going to the way of the toilet! our country is heading down the same path.

I agree...

how can you expect to maintain a higher quality of life when you fill your nieghborhoods with people from 3rd world countries... people don't change overnight.. so when these people act out in ways that we can not relate to.. it is "normal" because of the way people lived in the countries they originated from...

Interesting ... Who's the author ? Whats his expertise and credentials ?

The Author of Terror at Beslan is a guy named John Guiduk. VERY good guy, he started providing training to Rus .Mil and police services after the fall. The story in Terror at Beslan is the ACTUAL facts of what happened not the highly redacted version Putin put out. The men from the Alpha and Vympl counter-terror services that participated in the incident spoke to John under anonymity, but also KNOWING that if their identities were compromised, they would be dissapeared by the SVD. These are the guys who would go into Chechen areas, cut off the head of a Chechen leader, and leve it on his chest in his home. HARDCORE men, and almost none of them were able to continue after Beslan. In addition to Beslan Guiduk also gives a VERY detailed account of Nord-Ost. All in all it details a very very frightening prospect of what could easily happen here if the Chechens involved in Al Quaeda decide to bring their tactics to our shores. The Book is worth every penny.

I can tell you that John is the real deal. NO ONE, has the balls to do what he did in writing this book. I've studied Russian History in college and being a post-cold war vet, have a better then average sense of how frigging insane this story was. It is also amazing Russians trusted this American enough to talk about it. There is a very real risk of being moved to Siberia, or worse for speaking about this in your own home, never mind to an American. The KGB is not a group to toy with.

I know have a significant amount of Russian culture on here and can probably tell all sorts of stories of sudden relocation for many families or individual that would surprise many of us. And I can't rule out the entire region of Serbia - CZ, Colombians, Haiti, Cuba,etc.

I just got this book from Amazon... started reading last night about 9pm, put it down about 2am, about 150 pages in. I did not want to let my kids go to school today.

Wow. I really dont need this sort of stuff in my head, I am already a bit of an admitted freak on security stuff, but just WOW.

I will never, ever have amy sympathetic feelings towards a "breakaway" ex-soviet state again.