handgun or rifle... rifle requires no destination specifics.. handguns require no stops than what are reasonably necessary.. if you are talking hours away.. then I would think it would be a reasonable stop.. but ever since the whole episode with Brian being locked up for 7 years.. I have to even question that.. just remember NJ does not function on logic.. so error on the side of caution..

Okay, well i have one rifle and one handgun. so i understand that a rifle can be kept in the car and handgun only if its to and from the range?

while I am not a lawyer.. that is my understanding of the law..

here it is..

this is my opinion after having read the law and numerous discussions on this forum..

the only difference between the two is that you can only transport a pistol to and from the range.. there does not appear to be limitations on transporting a long gun.. additionally the idea of locking the gun in the trunk is only of relevance if the trunk of the vehicle is NOT separate from the passenger compartment..

transport in NJ as I understand it..

handgun,

ONLY to and from the range, to and from a gunsmith, OR place of purchase.

car with trunk - unloaded in a secure container (not necessarily locked)

car with no trunk (hatch, SUV, etc.) unloaded in a locked container.

the key is to limit access to the occupants of the vehicle.

long gun

no specification of destination necessary..

car with trunk - unloaded in a secure container (not necessarily locked)

car with no trunk (hatch, SUV, etc.) unloaded in a locked container.

the key is to limit access to the occupants of the vehicle.

again this is my understanding of the law as it is written..

I 99% agree with Damagedworld, but would disagree with the "car with trunk - unloaded in a secure container (not necessarily locked)" portion.

IMO, I do not believe that you need a case if it goes in the trunk. I never do and neither do tens of thousand hunters.

2C:39-5

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree

Make sure you have your FID with you, and that it's unloaded.

I am not a lawyer, etc.