Sign in to follow this  
david8613

saiga equivilent ar?

i was wondering since the siaga is known for being "a best bang for your buck" in an ak, i was wondering what was the best bang for your buck in the ar world? already built though...

So, what are you asking if you built one already? Air gushing out ... sorry, I couldn't help it :icon_e_biggrin:

No I do believe he is asking for the "best bang for your buck AR" that has already been built, in other words he does not want to built it himself. Honestly, there are SO many more choices for AR parts over the AK type. It depends on how big your wallet is.

Guest tAKticool

Not that this is exactly what you mean or the same thing but, you know Saiga comes in .223?

• Like 1

Del-Ton's are problably the best bang for your buck. Sell the AK and get a gun with usable sights and a rifle you can hit something past 100 yards.

psat 100 yards?

sure... people always say OH AKs are so much more accurate than AKs... but in that situation.. we are most of the time comparing an AR with 20+ in barrel.. good quality ammo.. shot with a scope... to some low grade beat to death AK.. running steel cheap russian ammo... out of a 16in barrel running a red dot at best... comparing two guns setup in two totally different ways.. is hardly a fair comparison.. I was just talking to a forum member on here the other day about what type of results one might see through a scoped 223 Saiga shooting match grade ammo with a good quality optic from a bench.. that would be a fair comparison of two similar guns.. just like people point to ARs now and say.. these are modern ARs.. they don't have the same problems the old ones had.. well I have to say.. there are certain AK type guns available on the market now that are pretty good quality..

for really long range shooting.. 7.62x39 or 223 aren't really all that reliable... yes I know confirmed kills at some crazy distances with 223.. but for a reliable long range gun.. I think you need to step up to a larger more powerful round... 7.62x51... .30-06.... etc..

• Like 1

Ha, I think Ray said his comment with facetious intent.

With that said, best bang for your buck? If cost is that much of an issue, piece one together-- even if it takes an extra month or two.

I'm part of the "buy once, cry once" crowd. With that said, there is no reason to pay for a premium either, considering there are quality manufacturers out there that don't charge an arm or a leg. But that is no reason to try and buy an AR for like $400-500, as quality still has a price tag.

Of course if its just a range gun, who cares-- knock yourself out and buy an Oly Arms or something.

ETA:

But to strictly answer your question, I would recommend the Smith and Wesson ARs, as well as Stag. If you want to piece one together, you can get a lower for as low as $100, and get the other parts and put it all together for less then $300. Then buy an upper for another $400-500.

• Like 1

Ha, I think Ray said his comment with facetious intent.

With that said, best bang for your buck? If cost is that much of an issue, piece one together-- even if it takes an extra month or two.

I'm part of the "buy once, cry once" crowd. With that said, there is no reason to pay for a premium either, considering there are quality manufacturers out there that don't charge an arm or a leg. But that is no reason to try and buy an AR for like $400-500, as quality still has a price tag.

Of course if its just a range gun, who cares-- knock yourself out and buy an Oly Arms or something.

ETA:

But to strictly answer your question, I would recommend the Smith and Wesson ARs, as well as Stag. If you want to piece one together, you can get a lower for as low as $100, and get the other parts and put it all together for less then $300. Then buy an upper for another $400-500.

I can vouch for that.. I owned a S&W M&P15 and for the money.. I had no complaints..

• Like 1

I was just talking to a forum member on here the other day about what type of results one might see through a scoped 223 Saiga shooting match grade ammo with a good quality optic from a bench.

I thought we were talking about shooting 7.62x39 out of the Saiga from the bench.

Seriously, this dude keeps making me think about getting a Saiga in x39......

I thought we were talking about shooting 7.62x39 out of the Saiga from the bench.

Seriously, this dude keeps making me think about getting a Saiga in x39......

ah that's right.... it was someone from Saiga 12 that I was talking to about the 223.. but our conversation (the one between you and me) is what started the 223 conversation... I am just curious.. with match grade ammo.. good optics.. etc.. what a 20in Saiga shot from a bench would do.. I think it would honestly surprise people a little..

i was asking this question for a friend, i tried to convince to just get a saiga and do the restore/convert that its easy, i know he wont build an ar if he wont do the saiga. so i figured i can point him in right direction. i told him i would look in the forum market...

if you want a gas piston ar... get a Scar...

Otherwise, AR's are pretty damn reliable anyway.

Smith Wesson, Stag's, are all good AR's.

If you have any skills with a punch and a hammer, build your own lower, and buy a complete upper.