Sign in to follow this  
TriKKy

(Another) Transportation Thread

Hello all, I know there are other threads on the topic but they are either old or have a million opinions, or they are for moving guns within the state or for people relocating to the state, and I don't want to read and research everything so I want to see what you currently have to say.

I live in KY, have my concealed carry (I know this means nothing in NJ). I am visiting my in-laws in NJ, very close to the border with PA actually. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II, 7-round capacity magazine, currently loaded with JHP ammo.

It seems that I cannot find a consistent answer on bringing the gun into NJ.

My intentions would be to bring the gun in my SUV, have pistol (broken down if need be) locked in a case in the back of the SUV. Have the ammo locked in a separate compartment or bag in the back as well. Even from reading on here, I am still not clear if JHP is what I would need or if I should just go with standard hardball ammo. While visiting in NJ my plan would be to just leave the pistol at their house and only take it out again when leaving the state.

Here is what I have seen that makes me question:

1. When I search the NJSP website, it basically says that transporting the gun should not be a problem

2. I read this Brian Aitken story and I kind of freak out because this just is not a headache that I want

3. I have read other posts on here about people calling and speaking to the state police about JHP and it seems that even they don't have a clue

It really is starting to seem like this would be more hassle than it's worth. Even though I would feel a bit naked, I would rather just leave it at home if there isn't a clear-cut answer here. I grew up in NYC and lived in NJ for a few years as well. This type of crap drove/drives me nuts.

Thanks for your help!

I have to agree with EchoMirage here, and highly suggest that you don't even bother bringing it into NJ.

I'm sure others will argue, stating how it is your right and as long as you transport it correctly, your fine.

But if I were you, I would not do it.

Don't bring the Hollow points. While there are exemptions, avoid it entirely by not bringing JHPs.

Cased and unloaded in the back, covered up. If you can shine a flash light inside the back of the SUV and see anything that looks like a gun or gun related or gun logos or range bags, or whatever, cover it up with a blanket. Keep it out of sight.

Don't consent to any searches. Don't excessively speed while in NJ with a firearm in your vehicle. Keep it under 10 over the limit.

You'll be fine.

Oh and yeah, it's easier not to bring it at all.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

You will get varied opinions because the law is not clear.

As I'm a math guy, I'd look at probabilities. You might feel naked but there might be a higher probability of getting into "trouble" with police in NJ than getting into trouble with a bag guy. Sadly, you have to choose.

Traveling through NJ wouldn't be a problem packed away properly. Traveling toNJ is where you could have a problem. I'd leave it home. Like some others have said, it's the cops you have to fear here, not the criminals.

I'm a math guy as well and along with the odds I can see that each person to respond so far has said to leave them home, so I will leave it home. Not worth having to worry about everything. Never really fully appreciated the fact that KY is a "gold standard" carry state until now.

Thanks for the responses! Hope Joisey sees the light soon, especially as my family wants me to move back.

Thanks for the responses! Hope Joisey sees the light soon, especially as my family wants me to move back.

Unfortunately, I don't think our politicians will ever see the light. We have much better odds of the federal courts forcing a new reality on our constitutionally challenged liberal minded dopes we call lawmakers.

I agree with those who say don't do it. If you were traveling through NJ, you would likely be okay. But since your destination is in NJ and you are neither traveling to a place of residence or range.....I do not think it would be a good idea.

This guy did something similar and it didn't work out too well for him. I may be wrong about this, but, I think another story about this guy stated he had a Florida carry permit. Doesn't really matter anyway, he wasn't carrying. Seems like he was following the storage law but his destination didn't fly with the authorities.

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2010/10/gun_belonging_to_man_involved.html

This guy did something similar and it didn't work out too well for him. I may be wrong about this, but, I think another story about this guy stated he had a Florida carry permit. Doesn't really matter anyway, he wasn't carrying. Seems like he was following the storage law but his destination didn't fly with the authorities.

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/2010/10/gun_belonging_to_man_involved.html

Did you read the breathless reporting?

his motorcycle which was parked not far from the courthouse door,

OH NOES, THE VICIOUS GUN WAS CLOSE TO THE DOOR!!!! RUN, RUN, IT'S GOJIRA!!!

I'm a math guy as well and along with the odds I can see that each person to respond so far has said to leave them home, so I will leave it home. Not worth having to worry about everything.

Wise decision. Also, just in case you're planning to substitute and bring a knife as a defensive weapon, check our knife laws. It's as bad as the gun laws.

I don't think there is any way for you to legally bring your handgun to NJ and the consequences of getting caught are barbaric. FOPA only protects people traveling through the state but not if you are traveling to here as your destination. Unless you have an NJ Concealed Carry permit you can only keep your firearm in your residence, and your family's house is not your residence. Google Brian Aitken who just got 7 years for this very thing.

It's outrageous but true.

I don't think there is any way for you to legally bring your handgun to NJ and the consequences of getting caught are barbaric. FOPA only protects people traveling through the state but not if you are traveling to here as your destination. Unless you have an NJ Concealed Carry permit you can only keep your firearm in your residence, and your family's house is not your residence. Google Brian Aitken who just got 7 years for this very thing.

It's outrageous but true.

If he were traveling to a range, gunsmith, his own business or hunting, those are perfectly legal reasons he could have a firearm in NJ. His particular gun cannot be used to hunt with and he doesn't own a business in NJ so he's left with gunsmith or range. If he's doing neither, then you are correct, he can have no valid reason for having that firearm in NJ.

That said, his carry permit allows him to concealed carry OH, WV and PA which are three states he might possibly travel through to get to NJ. He needs to avoid Maryland as well but he'd be covered under FOPA in that particular instance and one could argue that his starting state and destination state is KY. He's only making a stop in NJ.

Although, at the end of it all would be your final decision to bring or not to bring your firearm into our great state of New Jersey. I would have to agree with the fellas that suggest not to bring it here. it is just too risky!!! you are actually guilty until proven innocent here in our beloved state if you are found with a firearm without proper documentations for it. plus you have another factor to consider there are many state and local police officers without the right information or knowledge on our firearms laws employed through our state to make a rational decision in case it comes to it. ( NO OFFENSE INTENDED BY THIS COMMENT ).If the reason for bringing it over here is to use it at a range, since your going to be closer to PA anyways just cross over and many ranges rent over there. rent one and save the headache of being prosecuted for your right.

If he were traveling to a range, gunsmith, his own business or hunting, those are perfectly legal reasons he could have a firearm in NJ.

You're right, I was not very precise in my answer. But the unfortunate bottom line is that an in-laws' house is not one of the few specific places one can legally bring the firearm.

Or, Drive in and leave it at the closest PD in NJ or the town your staying in, call them ahead of time and talk to the Lt., this way the PD will know about it and give the OK, at least your protected for the long trip. PA is still probably a better option, even leaving it at the nearest PA station before NJ.

Or, Drive in and leave it at the closest PD in NJ or the town your staying in, call them ahead of time and talk to the Lt., this way the PD will know about it and give the OK, at least your protected for the long trip.

Never in a million years.

They'd probably require a Pistol Permit before they'd release it back to you.

Or, Drive in and leave it at the closest PD in NJ or the town your staying in, call them ahead of time and talk to the Lt., this way the PD will know about it and give the OK, at least your protected for the long trip.

NOOOOOO! Absolutely positively DO NOT do that. We'll have another Brian Aitken within seconds of him walking in the PD door.