ptbr321

Sig p226 e2 vs elite black

Im thinking of buying a p226. I like the size of the e2 grip but the texture seems to be a concern of mine since its abrasive. Im not sure if im not use to it and maybe itll wear out a little. I was looking at the e2 since i have small hands and i read about the small trigger length and smaller grip. It felt secure in my hand but the grip was a concern. I liked the grip of the elite dark but im not certain if im missing out on any features of the e2 such as a shortened grip and trigger length. Or maybe its not a large difference?? Would i notice a difference with my small hands over time. Elite seems to cost more so im assuming it has other characteristics not found in the e2 or its more popular. I held both for a while on sunday but im trying to decide which to buy. Any advice is appreciated.

• Like 1

I have shot with the e2 grips... but do not own it, so take my opinion for what its worth. The texture grips are a tad to get used too, however absolutely worth it. My 1911 with came such aggressive grips, however those grips are worth their weight in gold after your hands get sweaty. Now if you were to shoot at a competition such as USPSA.... they can save your match. If you drop your gun during the course of fire... it is an auto DQ. Very often you have people going as far as putting skateboard tape on the grip of the gun in order to make sure you have a better sturdier grip.

Hogue grip added to e2? Would that defeat the purpose? What would be the difference buying an elite dark which comes with a different grip? Is that model more for larger hands?

elite has a larger overall length and the beavertail frame. blair...everything you've said it seems you like the e2 more than the elite. get it the e2. you'll either get use to the grip or can change it.

I was looking at the e2 since i have small hands and i read about the small trigger length and smaller grip.

The whole raison d'etre for the E2 is for people with smaller hands. If the E2 fits you, then I would find it odd that you think the standard P226 does also. The frames are identical (Steph - the reason for the longer dimension shown IS the beavertail), although there is a modification on the grip frame to allow for the different main spring strut used with the E2.

I don't believe the Short Trigger is standard on the E2 P226. Sig's wording is a little misleading. They say, "Used in conjunction with..." when talking about the short trigger, but nothing about it being standard fare. They offered a special deal on a conversion package a while back - to take your std P226 and convert it to E2 configuration. I believe they priced the Short Trigger (not to be confused with the SRT) separately on the conversion.

Chances are the E2 you held at a gun store had the standard trigger, and if that worked for you, then go for it. If indeed that was correctly sized for you, the E2 with the Short Trigger may actually be too small (too short a distance backstrap to trigger face). Another option you may want to try - just to tune the fit perfectly - is the standard gun with the Short Trigger.

I believe that an E2 gun can go back to standard grips with no modification, although I am not 100% sure on that. Even though the E2 grips are one-piece wrap-around that snap into place (no attachment hardware), I believe that the grip screw bosses are still in the frame. Someone with an E2 will have to confirm this.

One last note: Don't worry about the texture - aggressive is a good thing, as Maks pointed out. My only concern with grip texture was that it might catch on a cover garment when carrying concealed, but that has proven unfounded and I love aggressive G-10 grips or aluminum on guns that I carry or game with.

Confused yet? :wacko:

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Both the Short Trigger and the Short Reset Trigger are standard on the E2. Mine has them, I can verify. Also, the grip screw threads are still there, underneath the one piece grips.

MrP - not that I doubt you (well I do, I guess), but since the Short Trigger and the Short Reset Trigger both have the trigger itself as a component - at least when doing retrofits - I don't think Sig makes a trigger that is both. Yes, the distance from the backstrap to the trigger face will be less when the trigger resets than a standard gun, that's due to the grip confguration.

The Elite series has the SRT standard.

I don't know, my head is about to explode.....show me something in the specs or other written data from Sig and we'll go from there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

MrP - not that I doubt you (well I do, I guess), but since the Short Trigger and the Short Reset Trigger both have the trigger itself as a component - at least when doing retrofits - I don't think Sig makes a trigger that is both. Yes, the distance from the backstrap to the trigger face will be less when the trigger resets than a standard gun, that's due to the grip confguration.

The Elite series has the SRT standard.

I don't know, my head is about to explode.....show me something in the specs or other written data from Sig and we'll go from there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

http://www.sigsauer.com/products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=285

Under specifications, included options:

"Included Options Accessory Rail, short reset trigger"

http://www.sigsauer....7&productid=285

Under specifications, included options:

"Included Options Accessory Rail, short reset trigger"

I looked at those specs and passed right over that. Guess I didn't want to see it?!!? I stand corrected.

well since the price is almost the same, it doesn't suprise me that it comes with the short trigger and the srt.

you can always get slimmer grips for the elite. I have an elite with aluminum grips. the aluminum grips are thinner than the polymer grips and grip better.

I got my 229 elite back last week from Sig after the E2 conversion and enhanced action package. The difference for me is night and day, mostly because I have small hands. The E2 frame is dramatically smaller allowing for me to finally have a proper grip and be able to shoot DA without straining. (read as really poor groups shooting DA). The E2 grip texture is sandpaper-like, but this did not bother me while shooting.

I was happy with the 'stock' srt trigger before, but I thought what the heck and got the AEP.

As for the AEP package the DA pull seems to have gone from 7# to 4# and the single from 3# to 1.5# though this is anecdotal as I have no gauge. Pull is incredibly smooth with no slop or overtravel.

Original 229 magazines work fine as does the .22 conversion slide so hooray for that.

Total turnaround time for me 9 days door to door.

Bottom-line for me was the E2 was a better ergonomic fit, YMMV.

Thank you all for your help and support. I bought a P226 E2 Last night from buds

Congratulations on your purchase. Have fun with it. Be sure to post pictures when you get it.

Wow you guys have been so helpful. So basically any p226 third party grip could fit on the e2 if i decide to swap it out?

The E2 conversion on my 229 came with an E2 decocking lever. Not sure if every 3rd party grip will have the same groove for free motion. Better double check with the grip company.

The decocking lever on your e2 shouldn't be any different. While SIG is marketing the E2 separately, the reality is that it's a grip panel. Changing from standard grips to an e2 requires the grip and a different mainspring strut and spring. Besides the decreased trigger reach it also eliminates grip screws, which any SIG shooter knows have a tendency to...disappear.

As for the triggers...

A short reset rigger really has nothing to do with the trigger, it's a change to the sear and firing pin safety lever which decreases the trigger reset distance, quite dramatically. It doesn't change the dimensions of the gun or the trigger reach.

A short trigger doesn't exist, it's actually a thin trigger. The difference here is that the trigger is machined with less material front to rear and does decrease trigger reach.

I honestly wouldn't shoot a SIG, regardless of grip configuration without an SRT package, it makes that big a difference.

As for the grips and triggers, you can mix and match e2 grips/standard grips/Hogues, whatever with or without a thin trigger to get the feel your looking for. All my carry/teach/whatever guns are set up the same. Crimson Trace Mil Specs, short triggers, SRT package.

And to answer your original question, yes, any aftermarket grip that is designed for your gun will fit, you will need grips screws however. The e2 grips are kind of a bear to get off,if you need some guidance shoot me an email.

• Like 2