Sign in to follow this  
rauchman

I did it.... bought a Gen4 G23

Greetings fellow lead slinging brethren!!!

Picked up a brandy new Gen4 G23 using my GSSF membership, at the Bullet Hole last Friday!!!

For reference, I also have a Gen2 G17, Gen2 G19 & Gen3 G19, as well as bunch of other pistols. Although I haven't shot it yet (plan on going to the BH 1st thing Sat morning), I think it's going to be a great shooter. My buddy is coming along and he'll be bringing his Gen2 G23 w/ Hartz recoil reducer and heavier recoil spring.... sorry, I forget the weight. I'll also be bringing my M&P40. I'll post back after the shoot w/ pics.

So far, I'm loving this pistol though. Amazing how much 2mm difference can make in the comfort/control of the grip. The pad of my trigger finger lays at a more natural angle as compare to pre Gen4's. The texture is great and really gives a better "grip". Pistol feels a lot tighter as well. Personally, I like the Gen3 slide finish the best of all the gen's. The Gen4 has much more of a matte finish, much more phosphate finish looking. The only downside that I've noticed so far, is the heavier trigger. I understand, somewhere along the line recently, the trigger bars were changed to a different geometry giving a heavier pull. I had Glock do some work done on my Gen2 G19 last May and the gun's very smooth and nicely worn trigger internals were replaced w/ the new stuff (was not pleased!!!). Definitely heavier there as well. In both instances, it sounds like the striker is smacking w/ more authority. The good thing is that w/ the revised grip geometry of the Gen4, it allows me to pull the trigger straight back easier than on the previous Gen's. So while the trigger is heavier, the new grip design allows for an easier pull. I popped in a spare LW 3.5 connector and while it worked and did drop the weight a little, it A.) like the Gen2 G19 that I also dropped an LW connector in, stages the weight differently...feels more tightly sprung but definitely lighter than stock and B.) unlike the Gen2 G19 w/ LW connector, the reset is very slow and pushing back w/ the same authority... it feels like something is grabbing/dragging somewhere where it shouldn't be internally. I'll have to do more testing a switch the LW units to see if the LW unit itself is not working or something other. I'll be ordering some more trigger parts to experiment.

All in all, I'm very anxious to shoot this baby. I think I'm a set of night sights and possibly a connector or so, from what could be my newest favorite pistol.

Congrats on a solid purchase! How much part interchangeability do you have between your Glocks?

Thanks!!! I have very high hopes/expectations for the break in shoot this Sat.

AFAIK, and from what I've read and so far experimented w/, the lower parts pretty much carry over outside of mag release parts. The slide, barrel and recoil spring do not interchange. I don't know for sure, but I think the firing pin plunger, extractor, striker assembly and that little tabby thing on the rear end of the slide, do interchange.

Looks like Gen4 has some serious improvements grip-wise.

Is the GSSF discount valid only there or is there a number of places that make good on the certificate from GSSF in NJ.

I just joined the GSSF a month or so ago. The woman I spoke with mentioned that there are only 2 places in NJ that honor the GSSF pricing. The Bullet Hole in Belleville, Essex Cnty and Mikes Gun Shop in Cliffside Park, Bergen Cnty. I've dealt w/ both shops and I've had good experiences w/ both. However, I've only bought this pistol using the GSSF program and this pistol was purchased at the Bullet Hole. Also, according to the Bullet Hole, GSSF pricing only applies to LAW ENFORCEMENT models. How this actually differs from a normal civilian purchase, I don't know. I think there's a blue label on the box vs. whatever other color they use.

I just joined the GSSF a month or so ago. The woman I spoke with mentioned that there are only 2 places in NJ that honor the GSSF pricing. The Bullet Hole in Belleville, Essex Cnty and Mikes Gun Shop in Cliffside Park, Bergen Cnty. I've dealt w/ both shops and I've had good experiences w/ both. However, I've only bought this pistol using the GSSF program and this pistol was purchased at the Bullet Hole. Also, according to the Bullet Hole, GSSF pricing only applies to LAW ENFORCEMENT models. How this actually differs from a normal civilian purchase, I don't know. I think there's a blue label on the box vs. whatever other color they use.

Good info......Thanks. Enjoy your G23.

cool.gif I am so getting a Gen 4 as soon as i can ?

Good buy and Good luck. Gen 4's are a great improvement for those that struggled with the Gen 3 grips. Glad you found GSSF.

Now we had better see you at The GSSF Indoor Match Series starting in January at Shore Shot.

As usual if you need anything GLOCKwise I'm here for you. BTW the spongey reset when you install a #3.5 connector is corrected by a stronger trigger return spring.