Caine

Lights Out available in print

I've mentioned Lights Out a time or two on here. It's SHTF fiction. MUCH better than Patriots, and I like it a bit better than One Second After. It was available as a PDF for quite a while online, but the author finally released it as a printed book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615427359

Highly recommended for those that are into the genre.

+1

Got my copy as well. I read the first 2 pages right after I pulled it out of the box and instantly remembered why I liked this story so much... sucks you in right from the very beginning

I've mentioned Lights Out a time or two on here. It's SHTF fiction. MUCH better than Patriots, and I like it a bit better than One Second After. It was available as a PDF for quite a while online, but the author finally released it as a printed book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615427359

Highly recommended for those that are into the genre.

Just ordered it.

I went through Patriots(Meh) and One Second After (not bad) recently. I love post apoc, which is why I also enjoy John Ringo's fiction, like The Last Centurion which I read a few months back.

I couldn't get past the preachy-ness of Patriots... not to mention very few people have the resources to pull off the stuff they did in that book. But mostly it just wasn't written well.

One Second After I liked. It's a good book and I would say it's worth reading for people that like the genre. I couldn't help but think the author stole his ideas from Lights Out when I first heard about it, but it stands on its own.

Of the three books, Lights Out was the only one I really felt I learned something from and made me think about having a few things around the house "just in case"

I couldn't get past the preachy-ness of Patriots... not to mention very few people have the resources to pull off the stuff they did in that book. But mostly it just wasn't written well.

One Second After I liked. It's a good book and I would say it's worth reading for people that like the genre. I couldn't help but think the author stole his ideas from Lights Out when I first heard about it, but it stands on its own.

Of the three books, Lights Out was the only one I really felt I learned something from and made me think about having a few things around the house "just in case"

The concept that during SHTF you go to your fully stocked retreat in Idaho works for about half a dozen people who are independently wealthy. The fact that no one is going to sit in a LP/OP at 10 below zero in the middle of the Idaho winter seems lost of Rawles. The fact that they did tactical moves on the way to church is so absolutely asinine that I laughed out loud when I read it. There were a million problems with the story.

The book that I got some good stuff out of is Ferfal's "Surviving the Economic Collapse". That's a must read as far as I'm concerned.

Over at TAA, we're working on a thread of practical steps for an EMP. I want to put together an action item list of must haves and how to store them. I'm just a bit short on time, but I may get a chance tomorrow. I want to make a complete list that you can go down and build, item by item so that you can survive 3 weeks after an EMP. Beyond that society will start to reform in some fashion or degenerate so completely that no amount of storage or prep will matter much.

The book that I got some good stuff out of is Ferfal's "Surviving the Economic Collapse". That's a must read as far as I'm concerned.

I have that book on my wish list as a reminder, but haven't picked it up yet. I do know him from this tho:

http://billstclair.com/clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/arg.html

I have that book on my wish list as a reminder, but haven't picked it up yet. I do know him from this tho:

http://billstclair.com/clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/arg.html

All that is in the book. His lists for BOBs and other prep is pretty good.

I also have his firearm "must haves", so I'm good there too.

No question, it's a good one to have.

You convinced me. Should be here Monday :) My backlog of books keeps getting bigger and bigger

I added Lights out in with some John Ringo(the three in the Aldenata series) books so I ended up spending 43 bucks...but free shipping!

Some of Ferfal's book is stuff we already know...but he turned me around on a few things. It's not super well written or edited but it's pretty good.

Good stuff here, and I'm convinced to put in an order for 'Lights Out' as well. Must admit I don't know much about the story, and probably best to keep it that way til I can read it for myself! (Of course I know it has to do with the power going out.)

I also agree that 'Patriots' was just... well, not that great. I think there were interesting projections, and maybe some small tidbits on technical things (albeit those were the parts I found a bit 'too detailed'). OSA though was a far better read, but I do have to agree that certain aspects were a bit of a broad stroke. To include intricacies that plague society would have made that story almost impossible to write, so I don't hold that against Forstchen (plus I think it would seem a lot like "The Road").

For a more technical read, I recommend Krepinevich's "7 Deadly Scenarios". Its not a fiction work per se, but does tread that line by using hypothetical scenarios. Like I noted, it is a bit more technical though-- however he does manage to make it a decent read.

In order of how well written:

One Second After, Lights Out, Patriots

Story of One Second and Lights Out are similar yet LO is less "mainstream" more shooting, however no where near as "out there" as patriots.

Mals....

TAA = Tactical Asseet Allocation?

company, forum, club, think tank????

It's a forum. http://www.transasianaxis.com/ It's primary goal is the discussion of the negative geopolitical influence of Russia and China(and other Commies) but we talk about everything including survival, firearms, emp, space, UFOs, etc. I've been a staff member there since it began in July 05(we were refugees from elsewhere). We recently had to force registration to view posts as a hedge against that company that is suing every blog and forum that posts articles from Las Vegas Journal Review.

So I finished Lights out a few days ago.

It's a big and heavy book and even though the pages are thick it's still a lengthy story.

I quite enjoyed it.

Here's some of the top things I learned from Lights Out

1. One man's water well can supply an entire development.

2. MZBs!!! They're everywhere, organized and as depraved as the Snake Cult from Conan the Barbarian.

3. Calling someone Karate Man over and over again is annoying.

4. Any person who does something annoying is either the antagonist or within 20 pages, a red shirt.

5. Long after the lights are out, somehow people still have $50 week after week for the Grocery Store.

6. Water pumps that run the water in the town seem to work less and less for no explicable reason.

7. You can't plow a garden with a jeep but you can disc it.

8. Someone who spends years preparing a retreat didn't give the first thought to defensive structures other than a super gate.

9. Months after lights out, people are still taking dollars for stuff.

10. 30-30s are everywhere. Holy crap, everyone and their brother has one.

11. "big calibers" and "Heavy Rifles" bark.

12. AKs are "Serious business"

13. Adulteresses leave town and say "Don't bother my husband, he's dead tired because he's got a broken heart" (ok, I embellished a little)

14. Don't drink pond water.

15. The bad guy was always waving his "Big Beretta"

16. One cop is always a douche bag.

17. supply clerks keep a stash of Grenades at home.

18. There's always a supply of heavy steel around to build whatever you need.

19. Bad guys always manage to have automatic weapons

20. Corollary to 19, Bad guys on motorcycles will drive into automatic gunfire until a bike falls on the bridge, then they decide its a good time to stop.