Sign in to follow this  
BRN169

Supporters promote "Call to action day" to free Brian Aitken

Supporters promote "Call to action day" to free Brian Aitken

Supporters of Brian Aitken, the New Jersey gun owner serving a seven-year sentence for having unloaded guns in the trunk of his car while moving, have designated December 15 as a "Call to action day" to petition Governor Chris Christie to issue a pardon.

http://www.pitchengine.com/freebrianaitken/chris-christies-christmas-clemency/109484/

• Like 1

I, for one, will be doing absolutely nothing to support Mr. A any more.

Afterall, he hasn't given me his express, written consent to support him.

I'm on the fence as well. Bailed on the rally a week before, didn't want any 2A groups involved and turning it into a *gun rights* issue. Would just like to get the scoop of what happened behind the scenes.

But it's interesting to see various gun rights bloggers across the country write about this guy.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

I kind of got it stuck in my craw that he does not want to be associated with "gun rights" however what happened to this guy is a direct result of NJ trampling its citizens' gun rights for 50 years... So how ever Mr. Aitken or any of us would like the two issues to be separate they are hopelessly bound by a common root cause.

Mr. Aitken seems more concerned at the moment about getting his a** out of jail than the poor bastard that will inevitably take his place. This may be a function of politics and I would imagine that once relieved of political pressure to disassociate with the "gun rights" movement Mr. Aitken might actually be very sympathetic to our issues and could potentially be a very good asset given the nature of the national publicity he has received during his ordeal... Only time will tell but I wouldn't be so quick to turn your back on him, he has been able to get more attention from Christie about guns in NJ than any number of us have and he has paid a substantial price for that attention. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

I kind of got it stuck in my craw that he does not want to be associated with "gun rights" however what happened to this guy is a direct result of NJ trampling its citizens' gun rights for 50 years... So how ever Mr. Aitken or any of us would like the two issues to be separate they are hopelessly bound by a common root cause.

Mr. Aitken seems more concerned at the moment about getting his a** out of jail than the poor bastard that will inevitably take his place. This may be a function of politics and I would imagine that once relieved of political pressure to disassociate with the "gun rights" movement Mr. Aitken might actually be very sympathetic to our issues and could potentially be a very good asset given the nature of the national publicity he has received during his ordeal... Only time will tell but I wouldn't be so quick to turn your back on him, he has been able to get more attention from Christie about guns in NJ than any number of us have and he has paid a substantial price for that attention. Just sayin'.

In the real world, when people get through situations like these, most wish to put it behind them. If he does get released early, all you're going to see of him is a vapor trail and it wouldn't surprise me if his release isn't contingent upon a gag order as to the backroom deal they would probably hammer out.

But as someone above said...he doesn't wish his name used for anything without express written consent so my care meter is at zero. Brian who?

A citizen was unjustly sentenced to 7 years by a biased judge. I also disagree with his canceling the event however people change tactics and we don't know all the details behind his decision. So we should say screw him and let him rot? This case is a gun case but it also about injustice and we should never be ok with that.

I will not be attending. Since I am just a political distraction, it serves me better for him to be in prison as a shining example of whats wrong here. Thanks for your martyrdom Brian....

I am sure this sounds callose, but the fact is we were fine with just leaving it alone and walking away. It seems the Aitkinds, for reasons unknown, want to persecute NJ2AS specifically. What value was there even mentioning NJ2AS to the interviewer? What purpose did that server towards their goal? The ONLY value I can see for them is if this was orchestrated that if they denounce us, he will get what he is asking for. That would be par for the course for NJ.

Whether this guy likes it or not, his cause has been picked up nationally by many major gun rights voices. That also means that whether or not we NJ gun owners participate or not won't have much of an effect (let's face it, we're just not that powerful a group).

This guy really gets my goat. He's run afoul of the worst gun laws in the U.S. He hires the best NJ gun law attorney in the state and accepts money from the NRA to fund his defense. His lawyer goes on a nationally syndicated radio show to talk about his case, and all the while the story has spread like wildfire among the blogs and columns of gun rights writers. Then, out of nowhere, one group gets what amounts to be a C&D order for the rally they were going to hold to champion his release. And now, there's this "Call to action day". Why isn't there a C&D coming from Mr. Aitken or his attorney to put a stop to this phone campaign?

Something stinks with this whole thing, but I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Whether this guy likes it or not, his cause has been picked up nationally by many major gun rights voices. That also means that whether or not we NJ gun owners participate or not won't have much of an effect (let's face it, we're just not that powerful a group).

This guy really gets my goat. He's run afoul of the worst gun laws in the U.S. He hires the best NJ gun law attorney in the state and accepts money from the NRA to fund his defense. His lawyer goes on a nationally syndicated radio show to talk about his case, and all the while the story has spread like wildfire among the blogs and columns of gun rights writers. Then, out of nowhere, one group gets what amounts to be a C&D order for the rally they were going to hold to champion his release. And now, there's this "Call to action day". Why isn't there a C&D coming from Mr. Aitken or his attorney to put a stop to this phone campaign?

I agree.

Also, we don't need his permission for diddly squat. If we want to use his name, we damn well can, and don't need his permission. Everything we speak of is public knowledge, and we can speak of it as we please. We can protest and use his case as we see fit, to support our own cause. People will use his case like others have used cases to support there cause, THATS HOW OUR LEGAL SYSTEM WORKS! If he don't like, then i don't care and non of us should. We supported this guy becuase he got a raw deal, we wanted to help him, and every other gun owner in NJ, if he failed to miss that, and thought it was all about him, then he can suck it.

It's called REALITY. Their Focus, and NAPPENS Focus is on Getting him out. Anything else and EVERYTHING else is secondary, AS IT SHOULD BE. I know im gonna get hammered for this but some of you peaople REALLY need to Grow up, and take a harsh dose of reality. In his position, if YOUR attorney tells you the same thing, and lets you know that your ability to gets out of jail Relies on it, ANYBODY who says they'd do differently is FOS. SOME of you guys get it, but sadly many of you dont.

• Like 1

Not sure on the Best lawyer comment out there.. specifically considering that Nappen did not personally argue the majority of hte case, or the fact that the defense fumbled the case worse than the New Jersey Nets blow leads and go on to lose. But that is just my uneducated opinion.

Keep in mind... Best Known does not mean Best.

KdpPipes, generally I would agree with you and I can tell you NJ2AS recognised before the first call, email or anything was ever made that we may find oursolves in a position to need to pull stakes and pop chocks and pull out for Brian's sake or any other reason that may have presented its self. However, there is a stark difference in coordinating with the wishes of the convicted and family, and out of the blue being treated like we took a heaping steamy sh!t in the punchbowl at the christmas party. And this seems to have extended outward to the gun community as a whole. I can also tell you that I do not believe any of this was at the direction of his attourney. He in fact was going to be at the Rally....

It's called REALITY. Their Focus, and NAPPENS Focus is on Getting him out. Anything else and EVERYTHING else is secondary, AS IT SHOULD BE. I know im gonna get hammered for this but some of you peaople REALLY need to Grow up, and take a harsh dose of reality. In his position, if YOUR attorney tells you the same thing, and lets you know that your ability to gets out of jail Relies on it, ANYBODY who says they'd do differently is FOS. SOME of you guys get it, but sadly many of you dont.

I don't find myself agreeing with you a lot but I think this is true. I don't think the cease and desist came from Brian Aiken himself. I think it came from his lawyer. There is prob a lot going on that none of us is aware of.

I think the way we were told to disengage could have been a bit more diplomatic, and if it came from his attorney, it should have been Evan that asked us.

On that point, I have hard time believeing that this originated with Nappen. What I could surmise is that a Christie politico came to Nappen and said we really don't want people focused on these 2A issues right now. If you want to "enhance" your client's chance at a pardon, you'll quash all of this pro-gun hoopla. I would imagine Evan is no stranger to politics, and I think that may be what we're seeing here.

OK, I'll go put my tin-foil hat back on. Proceed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

While I am not super familiar with this case ( I did read the brief that was created for it)I believe some of you are spot on when you said the attorney is trying to do what is in the best interest of his client. The attorney may support gun rights but in this case he's been hired to criminally defend his client and anything that might interfere with that is not something that a good attorney would want. When this case has been resolved we'll have to wait and see if Mr. Aitken gets behind trying to change NJ gun laws. It's a tough call to determine if support by organizations would hinder or assist Mr. Aitken's case.

What really needs to happen with this whole issue is the politicians who write the laws need to write better laws but that won't happen as long as the majority of voters continue to not get involved in the issues and continue to vote along party lines no matter what illogical nonsense, members of the political party they support, speak. Too many people do not pay attention to the issues. They just continue to vote along party lines like they always have no matter what. I can't tell you how many people I've heard complain about how their NJ taxes get increased every year but they continue to vote in the same people who they know will raise their taxes. It makes no sense to continue to do the same thing time and time again and expect a different result.

Not only has NJ2AS been named in news articles, but the Aitkens have not issued any other C&Ds to any other person/group who is calling for Brian's release. NJ2AS is definitely being treated like the proverbial turd in the punchbowl and I can't figure out why.

While I am not super familiar with this case ( I did read the brief that was created for it)I believe some of you are spot on when you said the attorney is trying to do what is in the best interest of his client. The attorney may support gun rights but in this case he's been hired to criminally defend his client and anything that might interfere with that is not something that a good attorney would want. When this case has been resolved we'll have to wait and see if Mr. Aitken gets behind trying to change NJ gun laws. It's a tough call to determine if support by organizations would hinder or assist Mr. Aitken's case.

Riddle me this, Batman. If your client is in jail and you firmly believe that distancing yourself from 2nd amendment groups is the best thing to do, why on earth do you go on the only nationally syndicated radio program that caters to gun owners to talk about your case?

I have a very hard time believing that Evan Nappen had anything to do with the decision to withdraw support from the rally.

KdpPipes, generally I would agree with you and I can tell you NJ2AS recognised before the first call, email or anything was ever made that we may find oursolves in a position to need to pull stakes and pop chocks and pull out for Brian's sake or any other reason that may have presented its self. However, there is a stark difference in coordinating with the wishes of the convicted and family, and out of the blue being treated like we took a heaping steamy sh!t in the punchbowl at the christmas party. And this seems to have extended outward to the gun community as a whole. I can also tell you that I do not believe any of this was at the direction of his attourney. He in fact was going to be at the Rally....

I am aware of that..just as I am Aware that he isnt stupid..and that going along with the rally and the Publicity, basically making his Client the Poster boy for Gun Reform in NJ, would be AGAINST that client's best. Look, i dont Dislike Nappen..he's a Nice guy..but he's an Attorney, and he WILL do what is best for his individual Client. Turn the clock back 2 years to Heller vs DC when the arguments were made in front of SCOTUS..there wasre a Crap-ton of people calling for Allan gura's HEAD because he didnt bring in 922(o), NFA, GCA 68', and a host of other, federal laws that while infringements, had NO BEARING on Mr Heller's case. This is mich the same thing Nappen's DUTY is to his client, and frankly if he had gone along with the Rally and the rest of it, and Those actions caused the Politicians to dig in their heels, and deny every petition, he would be committing Malpractice IMO. Notice the Brakes were put on AFTER Christie's comments.....you know, the one where he stated clearly he was :In conference with my legal Team" to review the case...that means Paula Dow, and THAT means Anti-gun. Again, I honestly dont think anything was dont to Purpiosely hurt your feelings, and YES it probably could have been done a lot more Diplomatically..however, it's ALSO possible that They feared that ANY communication showing an affinity between them and the 2A groups could be detrimental for the final decision..and I;m sorry to say I agree with them. I Know Christie, I KNOW Dow, they are BOTH Arrogant, and have the "You cant tell Me" Attitude....which a huge rally would have triggered.

I am aware of that..just as I am Aware that he isnt stupid..and that going along with the rally and the Publicity, basically making his Client the Poster boy for Gun Reform in NJ, would be AGAINST that client's best.

Then explain to me why he was doing exactly that less than 24 hours before the rally was cancelled?

Notice the Brakes were put on AFTER Christie's comments.....you know, the one where he stated clearly he was :In conference with my legal Team" to review the case

Wrong, wrong, wrong! The press conference you're referring to took place on Dec. 9th, 2010. The e-mail from Brian Aitken to Frank was Dec. 6th, 2010.