Sign in to follow this  
ah141nj

Shipping a rifle

UPS will ship firearms but your local UPS office is privately owned and the owner/employees may not want to deal with it. Fed Ex will also ship firearms. My suggestion: Call the manufacturer and ask them to make shipping arrangements, you may have to tell them things like "Smith and Wesson took care of everything when I had to ship back to them, perhaps they will get my business insted of you". Don't be a dick but don't back down. I have had to send 3 different guns back. My local UPS store - owned by someone I go to church with - told me he would not ship a firearm. I had to call each dealer and chat with them. S&W sent Fed Ex to my house with an empty box already labelled. The gun was shipped right back to me when repaired. Taurus required some conversation and statements like the one above. Springfield arranged for pick up but I bad to box/label and pay which isn't a big deal. As long as the gun being returned has the same serial number it can be shipped directly to you. If they replace it is has to go through a FFL.

I also have a shipping related question (for my mossberg going back to getting serviced)... Traditionally, I ship (and I think the rule is) with the firearm in the case.

But what if I don't have a box sized for the case? Is there a place I can find all sorts of boxes? I have it packed in a huge one now... but I kinda want something more snug and doesn't require a ton of dunnage.

Thoughts?

Is there a place I can find all sorts of boxes? Thoughts?

First, you do not have ship it in a case. Anything you purchase just adds to your shipping expense. I'm a cheapskate and here's what I did. Go to your local bicycle store and ask for a bicycle box. Lots of raw material there. A utility knife and a hot glue gun and you can build a box to your spec.

I did a box with a separate lid, so the ends and sides were all double thickness with the lid on. I also used a flat pieces in the top of the lid and bottom of the box to give me double thickness there. You can glue in supports to hold the gun where you want it (wrap it in bubble wrap first). I then used fiber reinforced strapping tape to hold the top and bottom closed. It could have withstood a direcrt thermonuclear bomb hit when I got done.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

First, you do not have ship it in a case. Anything you purchase just adds to your shipping expense. I'm a cheapskate and here's what I did. Go to your local bicycle store and ask for a bicycle box. Lots of raw material there. A utility knife and a hot glue gun and you can build a box to your spec.

I did a box with a separate lid, so the ends and sides were all double thickness with the lid on. I also used a flat pieces in the top of the lid and bottom of the box to give me double thickness there. You can glue in supports to hold the gun where you want it (wrap it in bubble wrap first). I then used fiber reinforced strapping tape to hold the top and bottom closed. It could have withstood a direcrt thermonuclear bomb hit when I got done.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Any large box will do. I prefer using a box from a large appliance like a refrigerator because I still like to play in them before I cut them up. :icon_e_biggrin:

Tried to build one, but faiiilllled. Sigh. Problem is I only have chipboard on hand... tough stuff to cut or fold.

Go to the mall and get some cardboard, foam and tape out of a dumpster. If you can't find any foam wrap it in an old blanket.

Go to the mall and get some cardboard, foam and tape out of a dumpster. If you can't find any foam wrap it in an old blanket.

I got it figured out. I turned a bigger box into a smaller box... Now to schedule a pickup...

Do I need to goto a FEDEX to ship it if it came with a prepaid label?