intercooler

so no one noticed? Brian Aitken a free man...

Well the smear campaign is running full tilt.

Referring to Aitken as a *gun lover* who possessed *cop-killer bullets*.

http://www.trentonia...0f268297516.txt

*sigh*

Yep... we need to drown that article with the truth.

Merry Christmas to the Aitkens. So glad this guy doesn't have to be locked up with monsters anymore.

Got to hand it to those politicians, what a graceful dance... status quo ante bellum.

The funny thing about the trentonian article is that besides the usual anti cliches, they can't even get the facts of the case right, " Aitken and his lawyer said he should have been told there’s a exception to the gun possession law for transporting weapons from one home to a new one." :icon_rolleyes:

Yes he was Commuted, NOT Pardoned. He is still a convicted Felon.

In my opinion, that is a big plus. That means that the appeal will likely go forward and NJ handgun, HP and high cap mag laws can be challenged and may fall, at least in part. There will then be two lawsuits, one civil, backed by the SAF, and one criminal, backed by the NRA challenging NJ's gun law scheme. I just hope that Brian and the NRA don't back down.

• Like 2

In my opinion, that is a big plus. That means that the appeal will likely go forward and NJ handgun, HP and high cap mag laws can be challenged and may fall, at least in part. There will then be two lawsuits, one civil, backed by the SAF, and one criminal, backed by the NRA challenging NJ's gun law scheme. I just hope that Brian and the NRA don't back down.

Even if the law is changed, it will most likely not help Brian's record as he was convicted before the law was changed. As I understand it, the person in question will only receive the lesser of the sentences if the law is changed before conviction.

Even if the law is changed, it will most likely not help Brian's record as he was convicted before the law was changed. As I understand it, the person in question will only receive the lesser of the sentences if the law is changed before conviction.

If I was Brian, I would not be complaining at this point... I would want all of this to goooo away, and hope to win on appeal. Yes, the laws are stupid, yes they should be changed, but ignorance is not a defense. Fact is, he broke the law, got convicted, and thankfully due to the support of everyone, including those 2a groups, he is getting out with a greatly reduced sentence.

• Like 2

If I was Brian, I would not be complaining at this point... I would want all of this to goooo away, and hope to win on appeal. Yes, the laws are stupid, yes they should be changed, but ignorance is not a defense. Fact is, he broke the law, got convicted, and thankfully due to the support of everyone, including those 2a groups, he is getting out with a greatly reduced sentence.

tried to +1 this and kept saying action failed.. just an FYI.. :icon_cool:

What I meant was, as part of Brian's appeal, his attorney is sure to challenge the constitutionality of NJ's laws which start off by making all handguns illegal and then carve out narrow exemptions. How can the law start off that way if the RKBA is a substantive due process right, as SCOTUS has ruled? That approach will probably work for the handguns and HP's. The high cap mag issue will likely require a different strategy, such as making the case that they are in common use (Miller), and that the restriction is "overly broad" or "under-inclusive" (strict scrutiny), or argue that it is not a "time, place, manner" restriction, it is a ban on everything over 15 rounds (intermediate scrutiny). That will be a tougher sell.

It's amusing when they use the term "cop killer" with hollow points. If anything you can get a way more dangerous over penetrating round with some +P+ ball ammo. The anti's don't even try, do they....

The antis have a limited lexicon, but it's effective.

By repeating the same crap over and over, and by having a consistent set of talking points, they've managed to give even the most absurd cliche a ring of truth. The public hears that dum-dum bullets are specifically engineered to penetrate vests, and without any information to the contrary, the lie seeps into their consciousness, and spreads through the media and even into the psyche of the legislators, who then take it as Gospel.

We even see it here when new people join the shooting community. How many posts are there where people just assume that because of their (imagined) incredibly destructive potential, HPs are illegal, and they need convincing evidence to the contrary?

It's a lesson we have to learn if we're going to ever be able to restore any sanity to the pro v. anti discussion.

Well, now we can concentrate on repealing laws that don't make any sense. How many bullets in a magazine are TOO many??? In the hands of a law-abiding citizen, it doesn't matter. In the hands of a criminal ONE is too many. Hollow point bullets should not be treated any differently than any other ammunition. If used for self-defense, it shouldn't matter WHAT you propel into or through your attacker. We have to stop thinking in terms of THEIR definition of what's "legal", and start thinking in terms of what is "right".

don't confuse my anti-free ride for Brian as an anti-2a stance...

how many rounds? flash hiders? bayonet lugs? hollow points? none of that stuff matters... you and I.. agree fully... but my issue is the gentleman in question already broke the law because he chose not to be informed about the law.. I do not see someone who doesn't educate himself on the law, and then gets snagged.. as a 2a issue.. YES the laws NEED to be changed.. but not because some average Joe got nailed with high capacity magazines.. but instead because the laws are stupid.. and do little to actually protect people..

I just read the Trentonian article. I have never read the Trentonian before and after that I never will again. Newspapers wonder why they are losing money, maybe it is because they pay people on their staff to write excrement like that.

Once again, congrats to Brian and his family. Congrats to all the people that wrote, called, texted or contacted the powers that be about this case.

Now we hope that Brian and Evan Lappen will appeal this case to get it removed from his record. But will they?????????

do you have to be a resident for 6 months at the same address before you can get a fid or pp's ?

Should he have left these with an FFL before moving to NJ ?

I don't think so. All you have to do is establish residency (NJ DL?).

Not that it would have mattered in Mr. Aitken's case. NJ FPID only allows you to purchase long guns and handgun ammunition; it is not a permit to carry (which is required for handgun possession, unless you fit into one of the exceptions).

They updated the article.

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly referenced New Jersey gun laws and misidentified the state where Aitken had legally purchased the guns.

A REAL fix would have been for them to say..."we incorrectly reported he was charged with unregistered guns. Registration in NJ is completely voluntary."

:icon_rolleyes:<_<

You do not need an FID card to bring guns into the state that were purchased legally elsewhere. You do need an FID if you use those guns for hunting, target shooting, self defense or any other pastimes and are asked by LE to produce it. You do NOT need to register your guns when you move into NJ.

There are places in the US and people I know that have guns that have not been papered since they first day they were bought new. In those states, a FTF transaction is just that, FTF. There are no COEs or FID paperwork. It is pretty much, I know you, your not a felon, how about you buy this gun from me. If you wanted to you could ask for a receipt, some people would not give it, most would. All legal per each states laws. Those are nice places to live. Some of those people take some of those pre-loved firearms and put them in dark places in case the gun grabbers come.

You do need an FID if you use those guns for hunting, target shooting, self defense or any other pastimes and are asked by LE to produce it.

the only thing that a FID card is used for as far as I know is to purchase firearms..... it is not a card indicating that you can or can not legally own firearms... If I am wrong by all means correct me.. but the purpose of that card is simply allow you the right to buy guns.. which is a joke.. since every time you go to buy a gun (at a retail location) you have to have a background check called in.. our system is ridiculous.. but like I said.. as far as I know that is the ONLY purpose of a FID card..

the only thing that a FID card is used for as far as I know is to purchase firearms..... it is not a card indicating that you can or can not legally own firearms... If I am wrong by all means correct me.. but the purpose of that card is simply allow you the right to buy guns.. which is a joke.. since every time you go to buy a gun (at a retail location) you have to have a background check called in.. our system is ridiculous.. but like I said.. as far as I know that is the ONLY purpose of a FID card..

In the last few years it has gained a new function; it is required to purchase handgun ammunition in the state. Some retailers are extra cautious and apply this to all ammo.

• Like 1

and to buy ammo for a pistola! Im sure you just overlooked that in your post because you were preoccupied about how much NJ sucks.

• Like 1

and to buy ammo for a pistola! Im sure you just overlooked that in your post because you were preoccupied about how much NJ sucks.

yeah.. pretty much.. lol

but still more to the point.. certainly not for mere possession or use of a firearm.. :icon_e_biggrin:

my girlfriend and many others have accompanied me to the local state owned gun range, and have never had to produce a FID.. in fact all of the people I brought with me do not have one... and they were never given any grief..

I am aware that the really old ones said something about carrying a rifle or shotgun or something.. but not the newer ones..

Its a catch 22 really. FID's P2P's and COE's only give you the right to obtain a firearms. However, LE ask for them becuase it's one of the only way they can check if the firearm is legal(on the spot), what makes it legal is the way you obtain it, not the way you own. SO, a good way to show the firearm is legal, is to be able to provide the info in which it was purchased. SO while an FID doesnt mean diddly squat, an P2P or COE, can be used to show a gun is legal.