ptbr321

Are mags interchangeable??

Sig Sauer screwed up my P226 9mm and sent me 3 12 round .40 caliber mags with my gun. They are supposedly sending me 3 9mm mags and letting me keep the .40cal because of the screw up. I don't know what to do with them. LOL. Can they be used for other sigs besides the p226? Are they interchangeable for other .357/.40 caliber sigs and/or other branded guns?

• Like 1

What difference does it make if they fit anything else? There are thousands of Sig P226's in .40 S&W & .357 Sig out there. Sig just handed you a minimum of $75. The mags work in any P226 chambered for .40 S&W or .357 Sig. Put an ad in the classifieds here or PAFOA - but your best bet is on Sig Forum - They'll get snapped-up. Just FYI, it takes awhile to become a member on Sig Forum and they may have a minimum post rule before you can offer for sale. As an alternative to selling them, you may want to offer a trade deal for 9mm P226 mags.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What difference does it make if they fit anything else? There are thousands of Sig P226's in .40 S&W & .357 Sig out there. Sig just handed you a minimum of $75. The mags work in any P226 chambered for .40 S&W or .357 Sig. Put an ad in the classifieds here or PAFOA - but your best bet is on Sig Forum - They'll get snapped-up. Just FYI, it takes awhile to become a member on Sig Forum and they may have a minimum post rule before you can offer for sale. As an alternative to selling them, you may want to offer a trade deal for 9mm P226 mags.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

+1 on selling the mags. I would not ruin them by bending the feed lips.

Before getting the correct magazines.. Will I damage the gun by using the .40/.357 mags in the meantime??

We discussed this in chat with Bry@n a few days ago. Sell the mags here and use the funds for more mags. Or trade with Bry@n (like he asked you a few days ago) and you'll have 9mm mags ready-to-go.

:facepalm:

No..... do not load 9mm in a .40magazine.....

The difference is less than a millimeter in case diameter. Since the 9mm is thinner, the follower arrives too soon locking the slide back with one round in the mag. I don't think it would be particularly harmful to the gun as long as the 9mm round is fully in battery and if it's out of battery the gun shouldn't fire anyway.

Don't try and modify them that is just asking for trouble. Trying to shoot 9mm aout of a 40 mag is asking for misfeeds, possible bullet setbacks, and just crappy performance. If you can't wait to shoot it, go to any gun shop and buy a 9mm magazine or two. They are very easy to find and each store will have them. You will probably want more than 3 anyway. Like others have said just sell the .40's.

Why do most people want more than 3 mags for each gun??

Depends on what they intend to do with them. If they are going to "game" with them (USPSA / IDPA / Steel, etc.) then, yes, the more mags the merrier. If it is a SD/HD gun them two might be enough, but three would still be better.

Don't try shooting 9mm out of the .40/.357 mags. You should have no problem selling them in short order.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You will not hurt the pistol in any way by using those mags and it's quite possible they might function with a reasonable degree of reliability though it's unlikely. Typically .40/.357 will not function in 9mm mags while 9mm "might" work in .40/357 mags.

Again, no harm to the pistol whle you wait.