I carry my FID card when I go to the range. I don't know if it's required or not, but it' s a simple way to answer the question as to whether or not I'm legally allowed to possess firearms in NJ.

• Like 2

"Need" is subjective. We could argue the law whether it requires that you need to carry your FPID card and there will be debates until the cows come home (see Glock vs XD vs M&P if you need a preview of what it would devolve into).

I would bet that most people on this forum will agree that "it's a good idea" to carry your FPID when you transport. Consider it a firearms condom - it may prevent you from getting F-ed, it's not 100% effective, but it would likely help.

:thsmiley_deadhorse:

• Like 1

I always have mine on me, but is NOT necessary to transport.

It is a Firearms PURCHASER ID card.

It takes less then 2mn for the police to determine if you legally own the firearm or not provided you actually have a valid FPID and PP for handgun(even if it is not on you).

I always have mine on me, but is NOT necessary to transport.

It is a Firearms PURCHASER ID card.

It takes less then 2mn for the police to determine if you legally own the firearm or not provided you actually have a valid FPID and PP for handgun(even if it is not on you).

How will they determine that if you legally acquired the gun in a FTF transaction while a resident of another state? There isn't any requirement to prove ownership, only that you may legally possess firearms in NJ.

When I travel, if I have a firearm with me, my FPID comes with. I feel it's NOT needed, however, given the patchwork and gray areas in the law, it's easier to grab the card, then to let the Officer try to figure it out.

How will they determine that if you legally acquired the gun in a FTF transaction while a resident of another state? There isn't any requirement to prove ownership, only that you may legally possess firearms in NJ.

Then I guess as you stated, their is no requirement to prove ownership, so you wouldn't have to.

<A name={1A3D}>2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.

<A name={1A3E}>

tab.gif2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons. a. Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the second degree.

tab.gifb.tab.gifHandguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

tab.gifc.tab.gifRifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

tab.gif(2)tab.gifUnless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

Here's a good one. Name a law that allows you to possess a loaded rifle or shotgun. Hmmmm. Is there an exemption for that?

2C:39-6f (1) and (2)

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons. a. Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the second degree.

tab.gifb. Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

tab.gifc. Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

tab.gif(2) Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

tab.gif(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

tab.gif(2) A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

The intent is there, but poorly written, as usual.

Note that, per N.J.S.2C:39-5 c, if you have "first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card ..." you are not committing a crime by possessing an unloaded firearm. So if you're just transporting a longarm, hells yes, carry your FID to avoid being Aitkened.

OTher than that, it's merely a good idea, not the law.

I work at JCPD three days a week as a consultant. I was told by a few of the cops there to keep a copy of my handgun permit(s) and a copy of my FID on me when transporting a handgun(s). It makes sense in my opinion.

The sun doesn't rise and set on Jersey City PD....and their Mayor (Jeremiah Healy) already got arrested in Belmar for starting a bar fight! He's an Anti-2A Schmuck from the word "Go", and not to be trusted.

Did you know that you really don't need a hand gun permit in some circumstances, like having one willed to you? Am I supposed to keep an entire copy of my Dad's Will in the car, since that's the ONLY paper work that's needed (provided I'm not a Prohibit Person)? Or how about the Korean War Vet that brought home his 1911 .45 from the War? Are the Nazi's going to start kicking-in doors with a house-to-house search looking for unregistered hand guns?

These are but two of the reasons why we don't have mandatory registration here in NJ...we don't want to turn "normal, law-abiding citizens" into felons at the flick of a pen!

Everybody is scared of SHADOWS these days. Grow a set and get REAL! Rant OFF, lol!

Dave

yes the police will tell all kinds of things you "need" to do...but i find most is either personal opinion or 2-4 person opinion...the best was one time while picking up some pistol permits...one officer i went to school with and know quite well ...happened to be in the room when i was picking up...and made a comment along the lines of "hey make you sure you keep those in a locked case in your trunk when youre headed out to the range so i dont have to arrest you"...in front of the lt in charge of firearms and the cheif all of which i know well.... i jokingly said .."well we may have a problem then...i drive a truck and dont have a trunk".....to which the cheif says "oh then you definately need to buy a tool box for the bed then" ...i began to get into the discussion of the actual law...but realized they were all clueless and just said "oh ok well ill look into that" and left......

...i began to get into the discussion of the actual law...but realized they were all clueless and just said "oh ok well ill look into that" and left......

just slap the NJSP fine print on a duncan donut coffee cup along with a big chocolate donut for them.

come on, do I have to think of everything?

Can someone clarify this for me....

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons. a. Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the second degree.

tab.gifb.tab.gifHandguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

tab.gifc.tab.gifRifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

tab.gif(2)tab.gifUnless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

This goes against what I understood. I thought you didn't have to have an FID to own a firearm, but this makes it sound like you do.

Does this apply only to "outside your property", i.e. driving?

Say, I wasn't a member of a range, but I took my rifle (I bought in WV as a WV resident and moved here with) to a pay-range. So, according to this, I'd be running afoul of the law?

Sounds like you HAVE to have an FID to own a gun in this state if you ever want to leave your house with it, no?