Old School

Taurus PT709 vs GLOCK 26

OK I had the opportunity to fondle a PT709 yesterday. I like the size, it looks relatively well made. And my BIL likes his though it has gone back to the factory for some reason he can't describe(it just locked up) and he's not a gun guy.

I read some reviews and they appear to be hit or miss maybe more miss as they #1 report some have a FTE and one report of a guys extractor having gone missing.

Now I carry a G26 or G19 and I love their reliability(they will eat rocks) but the slim 709 is very slim and light. Does anyone have any experience with these 709's? Have they gotten better?

I shoot the G26 about 50 rds each range visit to maintain proficiency, would a 709 rattle loose after 1000-1500 rounds?

Just looking for someones FIRST HAND experience.

I have NO experience with a 709, but my experience with Taurus is it is not a gun, any of them, I would trust my life to. Their QC is hit or miss. The ones that get sent back for problems generally work well and if it is not a primary defense gun you would be fine. I had horrible experiences with their CS Dept, and I will not buy another. It is a shame, because they do make some good looking guns.

As a fan of Taurus's revolvers I'll give it a thumbs up. I have an M85 38special and its a good-lookin good shootin snubbie. I've just bought another Taurus revolver and it's good lookin as well.

Yes, sometimes you have to send BNIB guns back. But I've seen people return Kimbers, Smith&Wessons and Rugers.

And I keep my M85 loaded as a HD tool, if that's what you want to hear Frank.

the taurus guns have gotten better, and I like the design, but I absolutely cannot stand the triggers. It makes a Glock trigger feel smooth and sharp.

And as a fan of the Desert Eagle in Gold, you should appreciate Taurus' devotion to huge gaudy lettering and rollmarks. :)

Thanks Tim good input.

Ray I really don't care what a pistol looks like. You know that Little Weedhopper.

Yes Maks, The design part of it was what caught my attention. Two things specifically. One, the firing pin block plunger and two, the second strick capability of the fire control system.

Chris, you're just silly...

The reports are hit and miss. Mike you buy one and if there's a problem that the factory can't fix, I'll mess with it. :icon_e_biggrin:

Seriously one real concern is how they hold up to round count.

Round count? It's a compact pistol used for self defense, not a range plinker that will see lots and lots of rounds.

Round count? It's a compact pistol used for self defense, not a range plinker that will see lots and lots of rounds.

I have to disagree with that notion. If it's a pistol you've designated for self defense, you should be shooting it...a lot. That whole "carried often, shot little" adage is nonsense.

And its Glock all day if we want it to hold up to a dedicated training regimen.

I have to disagree with that notion. If it's a pistol you've designated for self defense, you should be shooting it...a lot. That whole "carried often, shot little" adage is nonsense.

I'm saying it has to be shot enough to be considered "ready to go". Your not gonna be using either gun for casual plinking or range day.

Taurus sucks. My brother owns 2 of them, and they haven't impressed me in terms of fit and finish.

Frank, you're a Glock armorer, you know why they're great firearms and what makes them awesome, why stray now? Especially to Taurus of all companies?

+1 My defense guns get a work out every tine I go to the range to practice with the target guns. I just need to prove to myself that I can handle the defense guns as well. I never use my target guns for defense.

Shame on you Ray...

Taurus sucks. My brother owns 2 of them, and they haven't impressed me in terms of fit and finish.

Frank, you're a Glock armorer, you know why they're great firearms and what makes them awesome, why stray now? Especially to Taurus of all companies?

Just trying to keep an open mind.

Just trying to keep an open mind.

Understandable.

I've heard it said that if you're gun can shoot a thousand rounds without a hiccup (that is not magazine related), then it's typically considered to be dependable. But then again, I'm no expert on guns and stuff. :p

I am just passing on internet hearsay, so take it for what it's worth but...

Supposedly Taurus has improved a lot. I hear nothing but good things about their newest products, especially their 1911s. That said, I remember all too well trying to get my friend's PT92 to put shots on paper at 10 yards and failing. Hopefully those days are behind Taurus. Unfortunately for them, gun owners in general are long on memory and slow to forgive. Just bring up S&W/Ruger caving in to Clinton on the S&W or Ruger forum and watch the cascading sh*t storm ensue. And that was from almost twenty years ago.

I am just passing on internet hearsay, so take it for what it's worth but...

Supposedly Taurus has improved a lot. I hear nothing but good things about their newest products, especially their 1911s. That said, I remember all too well trying to get my friend's PT92 to put shots on paper at 10 yards and failing. Hopefully those days are behind Taurus. Unfortunately for them, gun owners in general are long on memory and slow to forgive. Just bring up S&W/Ruger caving in to Clinton on the S&W or Ruger forum and watch the cascading sh*t storm ensue. And that was from almost twenty years ago.

So right you are Chis... Even though management and in some cases ownership has changed I still think those companies are D-Bags. :wub:

I have owned two Taurus guns, and both worked very well. But then again, they were PT92s, a proven, reliable and well engineered design. I have always shied away from their other products.

But then again, I am guilty of owning 2 Walther P22s and 2 Walther P99s. All four were unreliable... all. Not good for a $350 .22 nor a $600+ 9mm. Walther has now earned my everlasting derisiom. If someone should ever point a Walther at me I will know I am safe. If they point a Taurus at me I will look closely at the model before starting my prayers.

No gun is perfect, Not one. So, shoot it a bunch, load it with good stuff, check reliability and roll with it.

Don't hate a gun because of what you heard. Check for yourself, do your homework and go from there.

So, not shame on me Frank, I do my homework and I roll with what works.

• Like 1

No gun is perfect, Not one. So, shoot it a bunch, load it with good stuff, check reliability and roll with it.

Don't hate a gun because of what you heard. Check for yourself, do your homework and go from there.

So, not shame on me Frank, I do my homework and I roll with what works.

No No No... Ray. You missed the point. I just think you should practice and run alot of rounds through a defense gun, That's all.

Love Ya Man....

No No No... Ray. You missed the point. I just think you should practice and run alot of rounds through a defense gun, That's all.

Love Ya Man....

I do Frank, I do. It takes alot of rounds for me in a semi-auto to consider it worthy of home defense. Not as much in a revolver but that's a whole other story.

Pop, you KNOW I love you too. Glock gangsta's gotta stick together.

I'm saying it has to be shot enough to be considered "ready to go". Your not gonna be using either gun for casual plinking or range day.

I think we're talking about two separate issues, reliability and proficiency. I agree a defensive weapon must be fired enough to ensure it's absolutely reliable. Beyond that we need to train heavily with anything we intend to use to save our life. Doesn't matter what it is, we need to be able to make it work, hit what we need to hit and do it all on demand under stress. The only way to ensure you have a reasonable chance of doing that is to train hard with your carry guns which, coincidentally, will also test their reliability.

Running a few hundred rounds thru a carry gun without any hiccups and holstering it for the next six months just ain't gonna get you through the the night.

I understand, but your not gonna shoot a snubbie or compact semi-auto all that much. Your full size guns will get the long range sessions and the smaller ones will just be functioned tested.

I'm gonna say this again, shoot it enough to consider it good to go.

I understand, but your not gonna shoot a snubbie or compact semi-auto all that much. Your full size guns will get the long range sessions and the smaller ones will just be functioned tested.

I'm gonna say this again, shoot it enough to consider it good to go.

I think you mean shoot it enough to consider yourself good to go. Buy quality, shoot it often.

I'm gonna say this again, shoot it enough to consider it good

I guess we can agree to disagree. I carry a j frame pretty regularly as a back up to my full size carry guns (SIG 226 or 229) and shoot them enough that I have two and they require a gunsmith once a year or so.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I carry a j frame pretty regularly as a back up to my full size carry guns (SIG 226 or 229) and shoot them enough that I have two and they require a gunsmith once a year or so.

That would take alot of rounds, alot more than most here would shoot in a guns lifetime.