As most are aware, in New Jersey significant restrictions apply to the possesion and use of hollow point bullets. However, it's not clear to me if the same restrictions apply to expanding full metal jacket (EFMJ) bullets (e.g., Federal Premium's offerings). EFMJ cartridges are sold in New Jersey gun shops, whereas I haven't seen hollow point bullets offered for sale.

Federal Premium's website states:

[EFMJ cartridges are an] ideal choice for agencies that don't permit hollow point ammunition, this revolutionary barrier-penetrating design combines a scored full metal nose over an internal rubber tip that collapses on impact. It never fills with barrier material and assures expansion on every shot. A lead core at the base maintains weight retention. Also an ideal personal defense option.

The restrictions that apply to hollow point bullets also apply to "dum-dum" bullets. (See NJ Stat. Sec. 2C:39-3(f).) However, as far as I can tell, there's no definition in New Jersey's Statutes or Regulations that defines the term "dum-dum" bullet. The construction of the Sec. 2C:39-3(f) appears to suggest -- at least for purposes of New Jersey law -- that a "dum-dum" bullet is akin to a "body armor penetrating" bullet. Even so, I'd hate to see someone treat EFMJ bullets casually if they are somehow considered "dum-dum" bullets by an overzealous (or ignorant) LEO or state attorney.

Anyone care to opine?

It's just like all the NJ gun laws - vague and capricious. The tool & ballistics lab that the NJSP use has expressed to them that EFMJ, PowrBall and Hornady Critical Defense are not considered hollowpoints.

A dum-dum in contemporary parlance is any expanding bullet. I'd like to know what led you to the inference that it meant armor piercing - quite the opposite.

Does it really matter? As long as you are using them under the listed exemptions in the law, it's no sweat. If you're doing something illegal, that's a different matter.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I just purchased Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I would expect it to perform better than conventional HP's for it's intended purpose. Sorry Nick I only found two boxes and will do limited function tests. Since I shoot "the tupperware guns" I don't expect any function problems.

I just purchased Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I would expect it to perform better than conventional HP's for it's intended purpose. Sorry Nick I only found two boxes and will do limited function tests. Since I shoot "the tupperware guns" I don't expect any function problems.

I've ran 2 boxes through my Px4 Storm - no issues.

It's just like all the NJ gun laws - vague and capricious. The tool & ballistics lab that the NJSP use has expressed to them that EFMJ, PowrBall and Hornady Critical Defense are not considered hollowpoints.

A dum-dum in contemporary parlance is any expanding bullet. I'd like to know what led you to the inference that it meant armor piercing - quite the opposite.

Does it really matter? As long as you are using them under the listed exemptions in the law, it's no sweat. If you're doing something illegal, that's a different matter.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

On further review of all of Sec. § 2C:39-3 (not just subsection f.) there does appear to be a distinction between "dum-dum" bullets and "armor penetrating" bullets. (I'll blame my misread on the eloquent drafting of the law by the legislature.) Apparently, "dum-dum" bullets can be possessed in the same manner as hollow point bullets. § 2C:39-3(g)(2). "Armor penentrating" bullets are pretty much a no-no, at least for citizens.