n4p226r

Question about quality of 9mm FMJ ammo

Since having my p226, i've only really shot two different types of ammo in it.

First is federal 9mm 115gr that i got at walmart for $8.97 a box. Shoots fine, no issues, but the other stuff i've been shooting, and i think feels a little better is the winchester NATO in the white box.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Shooting-Gear/Ammo|/pc/105591780/c/105670080/sc/105650280/Winchester-USA-9mm-NATO-Handgun-Ammunition-150-Per-50/733747.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbargain-cave-shooting-gear-ammo%2F_%2FN-1102686%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105650280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253B105591780%253B105591780%26WTz_stype%3DGNP

seems to run about $15 a box everywhere I look.

so for only $2 more a box, it seems i can get just about anything. i've read postivie reviews about the black hills remanufactured line.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/500rds-9mm-black-hills-124gr-remanufactured-full-metal-jacket-ammo/cName/9mm-fmj-ammo

so if someone wanted to buy the really good stuff, what would you suggest? something like the black hills? something else? stick with the 9mm NATO white box winchester?

Since having my p226, i've only really shot two different types of ammo in it.

First is federal 9mm 115gr that i got at walmart for $8.97 a box. Shoots fine, no issues, but the other stuff i've been shooting, and i think feels a little better is the winchester NATO in the white box.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Shooting-Gear/Ammo|/pc/105591780/c/105670080/sc/105650280/Winchester-USA-9mm-NATO-Handgun-Ammunition-150-Per-50/733747.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbargain-cave-shooting-gear-ammo%2F_%2FN-1102686%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105650280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253B105591780%253B105591780%26WTz_stype%3DGNP

seems to run about $15 a box everywhere I look.

so for only $2 more a box, it seems i can get just about anything. i've read postivie reviews about the black hills remanufactured line.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/500rds-9mm-black-hills-124gr-remanufactured-full-metal-jacket-ammo/cName/9mm-fmj-ammo

so if someone wanted to buy the really good stuff, what would you suggest? something like the black hills? something else? stick with the 9mm NATO white box winchester?

I'm not entirely sure what your question is. 9mm Nato is full SAAMI pressure. It's "harder" on the gun but the difference for normal people probably won't matter. As long as your gun handles it fine, you're good to go.

I'm of the opinion that the cheapest ammo that doesn't have cycle or fire problems is the best ammo. I don't shoot competitively so it really doesn't matter to me. I want it to hit pretty close and pretty much any brass ammo will do. I have seen some issues in my P30 with Sellier and Bellot Ammo but never with Lawman. Lawman is loaded a little heavier than SB and my gun is supposed to run full Nato 9mm.

If you're looking for hollow points or other defense ammo, you're going to have to spend the time and money to find what your gun likes to eat.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but find the cheapest that is reliable and don't worry so much about the brand or where it's made...even the "best" stuff may have issues in YOUR gun. Find something that is reasonable, shoots reasonable and don't stress about it :)

i figured just for plinking, that the cheapest that works would be fine, but i was more wondering what the differences between the cheap stuff ($10 a box) and the expensive stuff ($20 a box)

i like the 9mm nato linked above because it "feels" a little better than the 115gr stuff i was shooting.

would the only advantage of more expensive non-defensive ammo be increased accuracy for competition?

i figured just for plinking, that the cheapest that works would be fine, but i was more wondering what the differences between the cheap stuff ($10 a box) and the expensive stuff ($20 a box)

i like the 9mm nato linked above because it "feels" a little better than the 115gr stuff i was shooting.

would the only advantage of more expensive non-defensive ammo be increased accuracy for competition?

More expensive does not equal increased accuracy. It just means more expensive.

MATCH grade ammo is consistent round after round leading to increased accuracy and it is usually more expensive often times quite a bit more expensive.

The 9mm Nato feels better to you because it's full pressure and you may find that you're not quite as accurate with it as you are with lower pressure rounds because you may be anticipating recoil. The heavy pressure rounds also make certain the action cycles and it may have more muzzle flip. If you're more comfortable with it, keep shooting it.

For plinking, at this time, I wouldn't spend more than $12ish per box. 9mm can be had under $10 these days so use the savings to buy more ammo. You may find that Lawman ammo is the ticket for you. I recently bought it for 9.99/box and it's fully loaded. I wouldn't spend $20 for 9mm unless it was Self defense ammo...and for the good stuff, you need to spend $35/box of 20.

my 226 elite likes federal 115gr/ 124 gr american eagle and s&b 115gr 9mm ammo.

The walmart federal stuff is kinda dirty and flashes more.

You can get the federal locally at sportsman center for $8.99 a box. I usually stock up on everything when I get it on sale.

think i'll just save up for a bulk internet order now

This is the way to go. These days you should easily be able to find quality 9mm FMJ ammo in the $10.50 shipped to your door price range.

And don't be scared to try russian steel case ammo (i.e Wolf). Most modern guns will handle it just fine.

MATCH grade ammo is consistent round after round leading to increased accuracy and it is usually more expensive often times quite a bit more expensive.

The 9mm Nato feels better to you because it's full pressure and you may find that you're not quite as accurate with it as you are with lower pressure rounds because you may be anticipating recoil. The heavy pressure rounds also make certain the action cycles and it may have more muzzle flip. If you're more comfortable with it, keep shooting it.

For plinking, at this time, I wouldn't spend more than $12ish per box. 9mm can be had under $10 these days so use the savings to buy more ammo. You may find that Lawman ammo is the ticket for you. I recently bought it for 9.99/box and it's fully loaded. I wouldn't spend $20 for 9mm unless it was Self defense ammo...and for the good stuff, you need to spend $35/box of 20.

Dicks got American eagle 124gr for buy 1 get 1 half off comes out to $11/box. Less with coupons

On numerous internet sites, you can find a 9mm box of 50 for anywhere from $8.99 up, and a lot of it shoots great for target shooting. Even American Eagle is priced around $10 a box which is awesome as that is my favorite target ammo so far. Brown Bear and Wolf are even cheaper at $7-8 a box.

I dunno why people are still buying ammo from Cabelas and Gander and all those stores, in most cases they over-price ammo by a lot.

My 226 and 229 definitly prefer 124 gr to 115, but the 115 isn't exactly bad. I prefer the Winchester White Box of 100 from Walmart in PA - $26 - but the Federal Champion there ($20 per 100) is OK too. The Federal at Sportsmen's on 130N is their American Eagle brand and yes, it is $9 per 50.

Early on I tried out a large number of available 9mm rounds and selected the WWB on the basis of group size at 25 yards. Remington I remember was especially poor.

124g Federal EFMJ definitely gives smaller groups at any distance except the most close. I've never tried the NATO stuff, nor the Winchester Ranger, which I believe is the same stuff.

Good luck and Happy Shooting, and congrats on the 226 - I got min when traded in my P30L, which I never liked (long trigger pull)

best

G

In a newer gun, the hotter, heavier ammo will cycle a little better. After the breakin, it will not matter.

I personally prefer lighter loaded ammo, or as light as I can go to make the minimums for competitions. However, keep in mind, 124gr will feel a tad different then the 115, and then the 147gr. The heavier the bullet, the less powder goes in. =P

In a full metal gun like a Sig, it will eat up anything. Try it in a Glock 19, and it will feel completely different.

Yes, just as...

I wouldn't spend $20 for 9mm unless it was Self defense ammo...and for the good stuff, you need to spend $35/box of 20.

Don't go telling everybody that you need to spend $1.75 a round of for "good" self defense 9mm ammo. In your own words, it just means more expensive. What 9mm self defense ammo is that expensive anyways? If you are spending more than about 50 cents a round for 9mm SD ammo I think you are crazy.

For just shooting, I shoot the cheapest FMJ I can find. I buy in bulk online (no FID) and can usually find reasonable prices for brass case ammo.

Yes, just as...

Don't go telling everybody that you need to spend $1.75 a round of for "good" self defense 9mm ammo. In your own words, it just means more expensive. What 9mm self defense ammo is that expensive anyways?

CorBon DPX is $35/20 for both 9mm and 38sp. I own both.

In my own words, I said more expensive does not mean more accurate. More expensive in Self defense ammo typically means more penetration, more reliability(consistent fragmentation) and in general better performance. It does not necessarily mean more accurate. Accuracy has to be ok, but lethality is what matters.

If you are spending more than about 50 cents a round for 9mm SD ammo I think you are crazy.

Fair enough. I think if you're going to buy SD ammo and you're too cheap to spend $40 to increase your odds of surviving a gun fight, I think YOU'RE crazy.

Federal efmj 124gr is $23 for 50. Is this a substandard hd round?

No and if not being a hollow point is your primary consideration, this will do just fine.

Here's both rounds shot into a water barrel. This youtube user has done a ton of ammo tests http://www.youtube.com/user/andreleger2001

Not sure which would be worse, the DPX looks like more sharp edges to me but I'm not a wound analyst so I can't say which is more deadly.

efmj-vs-dpx.jpg

Is there any real danger to using hp ammo in a sd situation? Within the confines of your home? I just have this bad picture in my head of "homeowner shoots armed robber with cop killer bullets in own home. Gets life in federal pmita prison"

In NJ, you deal with guns at your own peril. If it is a legal shoot, it's a legal shoot and the tack on of HP ammo will not apply. Personally, for a pure SD gun that never leaves the house, I want the best possible ammo. I don't know the effectiveness of EFMJ but there is no doubt that Corbon DPX is one of, if not the best SD round you can use. Don't take my word for it, do your own research. The bullet holds together, expands uniformly, penetrates deeply and expends it's energy. Not much more you can ask for.