Pizza Bob

Show Us Your Bolt Action ,308's

Howa 1500 Varmint with 24" barrel. Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X50 SF, 30mm tube, mildot reticle mounted using an EGW 0 MOA Picatinny one-piece base and TPS low rings. Blackhawk Axiom LW stock and Harris HBRS bipod.

howa1500.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Howa 1500 Varmint with 24" barrel. Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X50 SF, 30mm tube, mildot reticle mounted using an EGW 0 MOA Picatinny one-piece base and TPS low rings. Blackhawk Axiom LW stock and Harris HBRS bipod.

howa1500.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I really like the recoil reducing stock you have there.

I really like the recoil reducing stock you have there.

Chris:

And it works too well. I find myself going through more rounds than I intended when I take it out for a range session. No longer limited by the amount of recoil I can withstand. Looks weird, works good.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here is one of mine. Not the best picture but you get the idea. Here are the stats:

GA Precision 308 Win Rifle built by Eric Reid

Surgeon 591 action

KMW bolt knob

Mcmillan A5 Stock

24" Bartlein 5R 11.25 twist barrel

Badger M5 Detachable Bottom Metal

Remington finely tuned factory trigger

Nightforce F1 scope 3.5-15x 50mm mil/mil

Harris bipod w/ KMW pod-lock

Barely broken in with 189 rounds down the pipe. Shoots great but will shoot better once I get the proper load dialed in.

IMG_9924.jpg

Hi all; Finally got my new rifle.

Thanks for those on the forums that helped me decide!

Remington 700 Milspec 5R in .308.

Brownells base

Millett LRS scope and rings

Harris bipod (the one with tilt capability)

This is my first endeavor into "precision shooting". Most of my other tools are EBR types with various optics only up to 4X magnification.

I'll hopefully be able to take her out this weekend weather permitting!

rem700.JPG

Hey, some constructive critisism:

You will want to get your scope as low as the bore as possible. This will result in less elevation changes with you POI at varying ranges. Get the lowest set of rings you can from midway or someplace with a good return policy and if they dont fit just exchange for the next size up. If that doesnt fit then repeat. A lower scope will also result in better cheek weld. Oh yeah, and a high scope has more canting deflection(the effect of not holding the rifle perfectly upright). Gorgeous rifle, good luck with it!

Hey, some constructive critisism:

You will want to get your scope as low as the bore as possible. This will result in less elevation changes with you POI at varying ranges. Get the lowest set of rings you can from midway or someplace with a good return policy and if they dont fit just exchange for the next size up. If that doesnt fit then repeat. A lower scope will also result in better cheek weld. Oh yeah, and a high scope has more canting deflection(the effect of not holding the rifle perfectly upright). Gorgeous rifle, good luck with it!

Thanks for the info! I'm new to this, but your point seems valid to me. There is plenty of room for the scope to go lower. These mounts came with the scope, figures they aren't the best for my setup. :wacko:

Anyway. I'm having a heck of a time finding affordable 35mm "low" rings. I've found these at Midway, but $111 that's pretty steep. I'll keep looking but if anyone can find affordable "low" rings for a 35mm tube, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for the info! I'm new to this, but your point seems valid to me. There is plenty of room for the scope to go lower. These mounts came with the scope, figures they aren't the best for my setup. :wacko:

Anyway. I'm having a heck of a time finding affordable 35mm "low" rings. I've found these at Midway, but $111 that's pretty steep. I'll keep looking but if anyone can find affordable "low" rings for a 35mm tube, I'd appreciate it!

Oof! 35mm! Yeah, that kinda sucks. Looks like ~$100 rings are what you are faced with.

Once with JimmyAGR at CJ with the original high rings. There was some strangeness going on during sighting, thought it was me. I then found out when I got home the scope slipped forward in the rings about 1/2".

Hopefully these new rings will have a better hold of the scope, that and that I torqued it down properly.. I'm going to try to get back to the range this weekend weather permitting.

Also just ordered up a complete reloading set with Pizza Bob's help. Costly to get started, but I felt sick buying boxes of $1+ per round of 168gr BTHP "match" grade ammo.. and the 144gr milsurp i have stockpiled just won't do for me.