siderman

Favorite "assisted" knives? Need recomondations

Got a nice fleabay gift cert for Xmas and want to pick up a decent assisted every day carry. Any experienced recomondations out there on what to consider or avoid? Prefer with a clip, nice ergonomic grip handle, a little serration and not a flat, cold metal case. And without starting a rant here about blade size whats the biggest blade considering being combersome and legal?

Got a nice fleabay gift cert for Xmas and want to pick up a decent assisted every day carry. Any experienced recomondations out there on what to consider or avoid? Prefer with a clip, nice ergonomic grip handle, a little serration and not a flat, cold metal case. And without starting a rant here about blade size whats the biggest blade considering being combersome and legal?

I have a kershaw scallion and I love it. $30 at dicks.

My linkMy link

Got a nice fleabay gift cert for Xmas and want to pick up a decent assisted every day carry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRKT-7914DSFI-COLUMBIA-RIVER-HAMMOND-DESERT-IRAQI-KNIFE-/120666235443?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1c1844a233

I carry this knife every day all day...

it has a reasonably durable blade

it has a very durable housing and frame

it has an additional locking system (lawks) that keeps the blade from closing on your hand

it is a great value for the dollar

it has a wave that assists in opening

I would not hesitate to buy another.. they are SOLID knives.. I am unwilling to carry around a $100 pocket knife... on the off chance that it is lost, stolen, confiscated, etc.. this knife at $30 is a deal.. and fills all the needs I have.. I actually own several.. but the one I recommended is my favorite based on the wave and lawks system..

I prefer non-assisted knives but I do have a couple in my collection:

Kershaw Scallion (one of my favorite knives), Gerber Mini and Regular fast-draw, and SOG Trident. I have others but these are my favorites. I like to carry small knives as I have found that the the longer the length, the more legitimate your reasoning needs to be. Smaller knives are just as sharp as bigger ones and will most likely have LEO's not think much about them.

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Ken-Onion-Scallion-KS1620.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDRTVQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41525-Mini-Fast-Assisted-Stainless/dp/B000EDPT6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1293824500&sr=1-1-spell

http://www.knifecountryusa.com/store/product/105099.105127/sog-knives-99038-desert-camo-assisted-opening-trident-knife.html

Coming to the party late, and by now you may have already got all the recommendations you need, but figured I'd add my two cents.

For the money, can't beat a Kershaw in terms of value: The Kershaw Blackout 1550 is a great edc/defensive A/O and you can get the 440 steel version for $45 on Amazon (msrp is $80 - $96). If you're going to be putting it to very hard use, there's other options of blade steel available, but for most people 440 gets the job done and it also sharpens very easily:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Black-Folding-Knife/dp/B0009VC9P4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1294135149&sr=8-2

This knife has great ergos, solid construction, strong/fast opening, rock solid lock-up, and very effective blade shape. It's not a big knife, but the Leek, Scallion and Chive are smaller a/o's if thats what you're looking for.

Again, for the money, this is an EXCELLENT knife.

Good luck.

Funny thing happened day or so after i did OP- my son who's in Afghan suprised us with a skype call(wahooo!) and I mentioned knives to him and he said to go look in his"junk drawer" and take what I want. Must have been 6-8 decent knives in there! Kershaw, Kabar, Gerber, Boker, Blackhawk, Case and bunch more beater blades! Now gonna use my fleebay gift cert to get some mag pouches and somthin else. But thanx for all the recomondations!

One of my favorite assisted EDC's is the CRKT Van Hoy Yea-Go. I know silly name... but cool knife.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CR5021

The mechanism is the only type of its kind that I've seen. Once you understand it, very quick and easy to open one handed.

If you can swing it, any Emerson variant with the wave is a slick option. I'm partial to the Commander but blade style is personal and he makes enough to find something you like. He also makes most of his knives in a reduced size if you don't like a larger knife.

They don't sell directly on eBay, but I see them all the time.

You could also look at the Spyderco Delica with the wave feature, Emerson allows Spyderco to use the design and those go for around $70. Great knives.

I own both the Kershaw scallion and while not really assisted, the zing, also by Kershaw. I carry the Zing more often simply because I admire the slim profile, smaller clip and scalloped blade and like all Kershaws, they are wicked sharp.

I have a Gerber and a Smith & Wesson SWAT. The Gerber is easier to open and close one handed. I like the flipper on the S&W. The blade lock on the S&W is a little stiff when trying to close the knife one handed. I cut myself a couple of times trying to close the S&W with only one hand.

I carry the SOG Aegis when I'm working in the high crime areas around Northern part of state. It is a lightning quick fighter that makes me feel just a little better when I'm operating in those areas. My "office" knife is a CRKT Kit Carson M1 w/ a stone wash finish. I've found it attracts much less of the "wrong" looks if I have to use it around the civilians. Anyone interested in buying knives below retail please shoot me an email at [email protected]

Funny thing happened day or so after i did OP- my son who's in Afghan suprised us with a skype call(wahooo!) and I mentioned knives to him and he said to go look in his"junk drawer" and take what I want.

God bless your son, siderman. Here's for him returning home safely.

What I have clipped in my pocket:

Gerber Paraframe Mini

415f1mzG%2BPL._AA300_.jpg

Extremely durable and versatile due to its combination of compactness, a very sharp drop-point tip, and serrated edge. Whether it's opening boxes or cutting apples for guinea pigs at home, or picking mushrooms or slicing food or sharpening wooden twigs to get an occasional tick out in the park, it gets the job done.

Gerber Crucial

31Z2GwLi11L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A multitool, really, but with a really beefy, fat blade. Always clipped in my bag, goes with me when I am biking or skiing. Has pliers and a Philips-nose screwdriver for working bindings and chaindrive, and that give you a plausible "I use it to fix computers" explanation in an unlikely but conceivable event that you ever get asked.