1. 1. which would you choose

• 357 sig for both fun and for SD
    • 357 sig for fun, 40 for SD
    • 357 sig for SD, 40 for fun
    • 40 for both fun and for SD
    • 9mm for SD, 357 sig for fun
    • 9mm for SD, 40 for fun

so here is the deal.

I have a p226 in 9mm. since im selling my p229 classic 22 slide, i want to turn it into a dedicated "big boy" gun. so I'm either going to order a 357 sig slide or a 40 slide for it.

Now I know that the only difference is the barrel and the sights when comparing these two kits, but I don't have any reason to choose one over the other yet. And I know the 357 is more expensive per round than the 40, and generally a little harder to find, but if I want to save money, I have the 9 mm for that. And to be honest, an extra $2 per 50 rds at the rate I shoot isn't going to make or break the bank.

so to the poll. if you had a gun in your nightstand, loaded with the best SD load, which would it be. my existing p226 with 9 mm or the p229 with one of the other two calibers on it?

now, which would you use for fun at the range?

I'm leaning towards the 357 sig in the p229 and eventually (a year or so away) going for a g22 glock in .40. But assume that will never happen. Then vote!

i already own the 9mm. so 9mm for fun currently exists.

so im hoping to learn which is more fun between the other two. if im really worried about HD, ill buy an 870.

to be clear, im posting this for the learning just as much as the decision making. ill probably go rent both guns to see what i prefer. and ill probably end up with whatever puts a bigger smile on my face. or end up with a glock .40 and have all 3.

I'm a fan of bigger entry wounds lets more blood flow out. Me, I have several 45's (P90, 1911, XD,..) with 200g TAP for HD to fight my way to a long gun. Round count is important, in NJ because no matter what caliber we can shoot, we max out at 15. So a full mag of 40 is going to open up more flesh then the .357.

I have to find this chart that was published about the surface area of bullets and how using a 9mm (.36) as the base, how much more sure area 40 and 45 give you. Air in, Blood out.

40 for both. In a pinch, how many neighbors or friends are stocked on 357 Sig?

I like common calibers.. it cuts down on costs.. it creates constant training (you HD gun is also your FUN gun) so if you ever need to use it you KNOW it.. recoil.. aiming.. capacity.. it is all %100 the same.. I own a Glock 23.. but am in the market for a carry gun.. while I CAN carry the 23... a 27 is a LOT smaller.. so I am getting a 27.. same caliber... same recoil.. same trigger.. identical gun.. just smaller.. with that said.. I personally prefer 40S&W due to its wide spread use and availability.. once you have ALL the basics.. nice longer range rifle.. intermediate carbine.. shotgun.. handgun.. then maybe you buy other novelty calibers... I would maybe like to eventually own a 1911 so I can see what all the hype is about.. but I would not buy that till all my basics are covered.. having all the basics allows for the most versatile shooting.. having 5 handguns wont let you do any long range shooting.. having all bolt action rifles wont allow for much plate time at the pistol range.. a nice diverse collection will.. good luck with your choice.. but I would "plink" with the same gun I intend to use for home defense..

good luck with the choice.. let us know how it goes..

The best man-stopping round ever created is the 125 grain 357magnum. This has been documented from years of police records of shootings. The 357 Sig was created to mimic the ballistics of this round, and does so very well. It can't compete with the 357mag at higher bullet weights, but at this light one it does the job. The stopping power of a 357 magnum combined with the capacity of an autoloader. What isn't there to like? (Besides the flash and recoil :))

Guest schutzen-jager

.357 sig choice of federal air marshalls , texas rangers , + etc. -

Of the three you listed, the 357 sig is the best HD cartridge by a margin. With that being said, instead of switch barrels and such, if you intend to employ your weapon should you ever find the need, ammo and training would be money much better spent.

Wojo, your rationale is sound, BUT, it is more geared toward FMJ ammo, all things being equal.

Bry@n.

I think the only difference between the two are the sights. Buying a 357 and a 40 barrel isn't any cheaper or more expensive than the other wayig sight pusher so switching sigh around. I'll probably end up with both in the long run. Just not sure which to start out with. I have a sight pusher so switching sights won't be difficult

I intend to shoot both and decide from there. Mostly going to go with the bigger smile. Once I get some training I can decide how I want to tackle the hd situation

I wouldn't worry too much about the sight difference if one of the barrels would be just for range fun. The difference in point of impact will be negligible at self defense ranges ( 10 yards and less). It would be different if you were a bullseye competition shooter.

bry@n,

what gun do you have the .40 with .357sig barrel? how do they differ.

also, does anyone here have first hand experience with the .357 sig? i've been reading up on it but i'd imagine 90% of what i've been reading is just someone repeating what the've read somewhere else on the internet

bry@n,

what gun do you have the .40 with .357sig barrel? how do they differ.

also, does anyone here have first hand experience with the .357 sig? i've been reading up on it but i'd imagine 90% of what i've been reading is just someone repeating what the've read somewhere else on the internet

Jermz. had a Glock in 357Sig. I have fired it a number of times. The recoil and report are stout, comparable to 10mm in a Glock 20. I imagine the recoil would be less in an all steel Sig.

Only reason I am getting rid of the Glock 32 is because I have been hanging around Lunker to long. The recoil is snappy but isn't uncontrollable. Some even feel that the recoil on the Glock 23 is a little stronger, But I have never compared the two. Its a very accurate gun with the choice of switching over to 40sw with just the change of a barrel. As well as being able to shoot 9mm with changing the barrel and mags. I think its a great cartridge. Unfortunately it is pricey and a little on the hard side to find anywhere but online, At least in my experience.

• Like 1

I like common calibers.. it cuts down on costs.. it creates constant training (you HD gun is also your FUN gun) so if you ever need to use it you KNOW it.. recoil.. aiming.. capacity.. it is all %100 the same.. I own a Glock 23.. but am in the market for a carry gun.. while I CAN carry the 23... a 27 is a LOT smaller.. so I am getting a 27.. same caliber... same recoil.. same trigger.. identical gun.. just smaller.. with that said.. I personally prefer 40S&W due to its wide spread use and availability.. once you have ALL the basics.. nice longer range rifle.. intermediate carbine.. shotgun.. handgun.. then maybe you buy other novelty calibers... I would maybe like to eventually own a 1911 so I can see what all the hype is about.. but I would not buy that till all my basics are covered.. having all the basics allows for the most versatile shooting.. having 5 handguns wont let you do any long range shooting.. having all bolt action rifles wont allow for much plate time at the pistol range.. a nice diverse collection will.. good luck with your choice.. but I would "plink" with the same gun I intend to use for home defense..

good luck with the choice.. let us know how it goes..

ok..i've always sought (semi-auto) calibers that were very common and available..(9mm, 45cal) but always felt .40 cal not as common (i'm aware of police etc use)..question I have is .40 cal just as common and abundant as 9 & 45 these days? Can I wander into a general store in Dogpatch Forest and find .40 cal or am I safer with 9 or 45..

I used to have a Sig 226 Elite that came with a 357 Sig barrel for it. I bought a 40SW factory barrel and then a Barsto conversion barrel so I could shoot 9mm out of it. All three rounds performed flawlessly. Out of the 3, I liked the 357 sig the best. Maybe b/c its sort of a 'wildcat' cartridge to me so I dont get a chance to shoot it much. The ballistics are great, think of a 9mm on steroids or a 357 magnum in a semi auto platform. Thats kind of what you get with the 357 sig. Anyway, the 357 sig in a Sig p226 handled wonderfully well. A little more snap then the 40SW but not by much. Also, its a very accurate cartridge, if you are into things like that.

so here is the deal.

I have a p226 in 9mm. since im selling my p229 classic 22 slide, i want to turn it into a dedicated "big boy" gun. so I'm either going to order a 357 sig slide or a 40 slide for it.

Now I know that the only difference is the barrel and the sights when comparing these two kits, but I don't have any reason to choose one over the other yet. And I know the 357 is more expensive per round than the 40, and generally a little harder to find, but if I want to save money, I have the 9 mm for that. And to be honest, an extra $2 per 50 rds at the rate I shoot isn't going to make or break the bank.

so to the poll. if you had a gun in your nightstand, loaded with the best SD load, which would it be. my existing p226 with 9 mm or the p229 with one of the other two calibers on it?

now, which would you use for fun at the range?

I'm leaning towards the 357 sig in the p229 and eventually (a year or so away) going for a g22 glock in .40. But assume that will never happen. Then vote!

IMG_0945-14.jpg

IMG_0945-14.jpg[/img]

IMG_0937-6.jpg[/img]

ok..i've always sought (semi-auto) calibers that were very common and available..(9mm, 45cal) but always felt .40 cal not as common (i'm aware of police etc use)..question I have is .40 cal just as common and abundant as 9 & 45 these days? Can I wander into a general store in Dogpatch Forest and find .40 cal or am I safer with 9 or 45..

40 is everywhere. During the Obama shortages, it was the ONLY pistol caliber to be found anywhere, 9mm, 357mag and 45ACP were nowhere to be found.

I used to have a Sig 226 Elite that came with a 357 Sig barrel for it. I bought a 40SW factory barrel and then a Barsto conversion barrel so I could shoot 9mm out of it. All three rounds performed flawlessly. Out of the 3, I liked the 357 sig the best. Maybe b/c its sort of a 'wildcat' cartridge to me so I dont get a chance to shoot it much. The ballistics are great, think of a 9mm on steroids or a 357 magnum in a semi auto platform. Thats kind of what you get with the 357 sig. Anyway, the 357 sig in a Sig p226 handled wonderfully well. A little more snap then the 40SW but not by much. Also, its a very accurate cartridge, if you are into things like that.

IMG_0945-14.jpg

IMG_0945-14.jpg[/img]

IMG_0937-6.jpg[/img]

great looking gun!!! how do you like the wood grips?

Of the three you listed, the 357 sig is the best HD cartridge by a margin. With that being said, instead of switch barrels and such, if you intend to employ your weapon should you ever find the need, ammo and training would be money much better spent.

Wojo, your rationale is sound, BUT, it is more geared toward FMJ ammo, all things being equal.

Agreed Shane. In all fairness, I need to do more research on the 357 Sig round. When I was in AK I bought a 357 and used 125g bullets. Why? Because that is what the AK State Police carried and if that round was good enough to penetrate multiple layers of winter clothing and still hit the mark, it must be pretty good.There is a very good chance I'll buy a 357 Sig barrel to go along with my 40 for my new Elite.

The wood grips are absolutely gorgeous and IMHO too nice to keep on the gun so I got a cheap set of Hogue rubber grips and they work fine. The wood grips gave a great grip b/c of the diamond checkering but I was paranoid I was going to mess them up somehow.

great looking gun!!! how do you like the wood grips?

IMG_0930-9.jpg