Caine

Kel-Tec KSG

based on?

Remington and Mossberg have set the industry standard on the perfect pump shotgun. Easy to use, affordable, and lots of after-market options. The Kel-Tec has alot of work ahead of itself to prove it's worth the 700 dollar price tag and to be considered in the Remy/Mossy category.

Listen, I like the idea and design but it seems to me that it will require some getting used to since the loading chamber is backwards and it can't be loaded from the shoulder. But, BUT, if someone just wants one home defense shotgun this would be a great option.

the answer is simple.. a smaller more compact gun that can hold more ammunition and switch between two types of ammo on the fly.. I think IF the ksg is reliable.. it will be better than anything you have in your closet in regards to an anti personal shotgun.. I had a mossberg.. a 500 series.. the gun was perfect.. but the ksg.. IF it works right.. would in fact blow it out of the water (for me at least) it is no secret you have 500+ traditional pumps.. and if that works for you then more power to you.. but don't ignore the obvious..

as far as the reloading from the shoulder.. if you can't neutralize the threat with all the ammo a ksg can hold.. then move on to the rifle..

• Like 1

I agree, if they can make it reliable and hit the price mark this will turn into a very good option for HD. Like said, what would make it better then the others is the fact that is "compact" and has the ability to hold 2x the ammo. The only thing keeping me from using a shotgun for HD is the overall size.

based on?

Let's assume you have an 18.5" barrel on an 870 and a 500. Let's assume that the 870 and 500 have mag tube extenders that reach out to the end of the barrel, which will give you a capacity of ~7 shells, give or take a shell.

-Barrel length is equal, so spread will be just about equal.

-Capacity is doubled in the KSG, also with the ability to switch between different types of ammo with a single flick of a switch and a pump.

-OAL also goes to the KSG, as it is roughly 12" shorter than the 870 or 500 with the same length barrel.

If the KSG turns out to be as reliable as the 870 and 500, then it has several advantages over both guns. The 870 and 500 also don't have anything over the KSG. Aftermarket support? That only counts for something if it actually improves the 870 or 500 past the capabilities of the KSG. Is there a viable way to have a magazine capacity of 14+1, without having a heavy drum hanging off the front? Is there a way to achieve a 26" OAL, while still maintaining the shoulder stock and 18.5" barrel length? No. The KSG still maintains these advantages, and I personally think these are HUGE advantages for a HD gun.

Remy and Mossy have been building them for 100 years, Kel-Tec hasn't even put it out yet. I'm not betting my life on the latest-and-greatest thing that just pops up. I'll stick with the industry standard, and they set the bar for all other shotguns to compete against. Good luck!

Ray I am shotgun guy through and through. IMHO nothing beats a shotgun for reliability, firepower and intimidation close in. The Rem/Moss offerings (make mine Mossbergs) are functional, reliable and come in all sorts of flavors. Love them... But when this comes out I am getting one. I am going to beat the snot out of it. I will torture test it, shoot it, run over it ect ect ect.... I want this thing to work and I am going to find out if it does or does not quickly because it is cool as hell.

The reliabiliy arguments are somehwat valid, but you all sound like SxS shooters in the 20s when the Browning A5 was released. Rumors of widespread death and destruction wrought by "those damn Autoguns" were quickly disproven.

Now, I may be a little more gray haired and fatter by the time this gun is released... but I will still get one. Any gun innovation or released should always betreated as a welcome updated until proven to be a failure.

Remy and Mossy have been building them for 100 years

Ray the 870 and 500 are GREAT guns, I'm not trying to deny that. I would DEFINITELY trust my life with one of those guns. And I know this hasn't been released yet. But it's not like I'm going to purchase a KSG the day of its release, load it up, and put it next to my bed. No way in hell. That's why I keep saying "If it's reliable".

That's a BIG "if" at this point - I don't think I've seen a video yet where the KSG hasn't had issues with the pump action/extraction/loading. Admittedly, all the videos were of pre-production models, and a gun with the new unique features of the KSG will require a bit of time to get used to the somewhat different manual of arms.. but still... I'd be lying if I said I was very optimistic at this point. Time will tell I guess.

Shotguns are my favorite firearms by far, and I'm not against this one at all. I WANT it to be awesome and run great and be exactly what it could be. BUT, it's a Kel-Tec, and they are known for quality hit-and-miss AND not to mention having unobtainable firearms.

I have to shoot this thing a ton for me to trust it.

How is everyone enjoying their Kel-Tec's? Opinions? Upgrades? Recommendations?

Getting kind of old Ray :thsmiley_deadhorse:

The gun was projected to come out third quarter. It has just passed the halfway point in the third quarter, but you've been bashing it since it was announced, yet the time frame they predicted hasn't even passed.

Getting kind of old Ray :thsmiley_deadhorse:

The gun was projected to come out third quarter. It has just passed the halfway point in the third quarter, but you've been bashing it since it was announced, yet the time frame they predicted hasn't even passed.

If i had to guess, we will probably see this thing around Dec. Jan. if all goes to plan. They would have released a date if it were going to come out in the next 2 months, we havnt even herd anything about production yet. Plus, even when it is released it probably isn't going to hit store shelf's right away like most guns.

Is this Keltec's strategy? To release 2 per month to keep the prices high? Then again, with their history, their manufacturing capacity is probably only 2 per month, so I guess they don't have a choice.

I'm seeing $880 is the new MSRP, and with how popular it will be if they actually make more than 2 per month... the price will remain at or most likely above MSRP.

Going to set another yearly timer on my wait-for-KSG-clock.

Getting kind of old Ray :thsmiley_deadhorse: The gun was projected to come out third quarter. It has just passed the halfway point in the third quarter, but you've been bashing it since it was announced, yet the time frame they predicted hasn't even passed.

how about now? has it passed yet? LOL

just messing with you.. you know..

• Like 1

Off topic, but could you imagine modifying one of these to work with a pump and putting it on this

mossberg_chainsaw.jpg

it would be a Zombie Slayer's wet dream hehehehe

The pistol grip on the chainsaw 500 is incorrect. They should use the speedfeed one that's made only for 870s and convert it for this shotgun.

Now, back on topic. Maks and Vlad are right. Too expensive, unproven, and unavailable.

Personally, in a free state I would rather have a nice remi semi auto with an x rail.... or a saiga 12 with a few 20 round mags.

Well, since we are in this wonderful state, how about getting a Saiga-12 that can eject shells to the left? I could then hold one gun in each hand shooting off the hip with 5 rounds in each. It would be fun to try! I have a friend with a Saiga-12 if I could get him to come-out in the cold. I have PLENTY of 5 rounds mags!

"Unproven" to what degree? It was tested and evaluated.

Not really. Sure, there's maybe a dozen or so people on youtube who have gotten their hands on them and "reviewed" them, but I would hardly consider that "tested and evaluated". The hardest I've "seen" the gun being run is in the (love him or hate him) nutnfancy videos... and they had quite a few problems with the pump action if I remember correctly. Don't know if the problem was user error or something with the internals getting hung up... but nothing I've seen so far has convinced me that this design is "proven"

Regardless, I'd be surprised if the KSG comes out anytime soon. KelTec is too busy making replacement barrels for all the PMR30s that are keyholing rounds... :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 2