vozella

Best Barrel Mounted Light

A lot of it is personal preference and how much money you want to spend, but the two top dogs are usually the Streamlight TLR1 and the Surefire X300.

Both are very good lights.. they have slightly different operating mechanisms, and the beam pattern is a little different - X300 has a very bright center with not too much side spill, where as the TLR1 has a slightly duller center but more side spill.

Either one would serve you well.

I'm a die hard Surefire fan, but when it came time to decide on a weapon light, I went with the TLR1 because the cost difference allowed me to get multiple lights for multiple weapons.

ETA: Just an added FYI - The new TLR1s has a higher light output level than the TLR1 (160 vs. 135.. or something in that range) and also adds strobe functionality. If memory serves me, the X300 doesn't have a strobe feature. Whether or not you need strobe is debatable.

• Like 1

how are you mounting this thing? why to the barrel? you can put together a rail mounted surefire for not a ton of money.. I have one on my Saiga and love it...

and to answer your other question.. NO the quality is far from identical from one to the other.. I have been through a ton of lights and agree completely that the surefire and streamlight as superior at the cost..

I assumed (maybe wrongfully) that he had a 226R and would be attaching the light to the rail.

isn't that a handgun?

edit looked it up.. that is a handgun? this is the AR section? lol

totally confused now.. I am sure he will clear it up when he comes back..

Go with a flashlight that is a Surefire knock-off.

Solarforce makes awesome, bright, reliable flashlights with bright drop-ins for a fraction of the cost of a Surefire. Then all you need is a flashlight mount and your good to go.

I think it is a pistol.. if so a regular flashlight is going to be pretty difficult to mount

Ohh my bad, OP was really confusing haha. I thought it was an AR...

For a weapon-mounted light, you'll have to get something that is more high-end so anything from the TLR series by Streamlight to the Insight M models to the Surefire X models or Surefire M mdoels. They all range from about $70-$400 so you have quite an array of choices.

Oh and also, Nebo makes something called the Protec. It produces 190 lumens and has steady on/strobe function as well. It is priced very well at $45, and although there are no reviews on it anywhere on the net except for two youtube videos, I am thinking of giving it a shot and seeing how it functions on a 9mm pistol.

Go with a flashlight that is a Surefire knock-off.

Solarforce makes awesome, bright, reliable flashlights with bright drop-ins for a fraction of the cost of a Surefire. Then all you need is a flashlight mount and your good to go.

oh and while it is on the mind..

I have a few Surefire G2s.. they were about $35? or so.. they are incredibly reliable.. and bright.. for $35 + a $25 Vtac light mount you have an awesome weapon light at under $60.. I am not sure how much cheaper you will get than that.. but at WELL UNDER $100 I think that the Surefire setup is well worth the investment..