Col. Mortimer

USPSA Introduction Class at Shongum

Where is this going to be at? Shongum...but where the heck is Shongum? Can I get details about approx time and such. I might be able to make it..

Post 12.

The class has been approved and is on for Saturday, March 26th from 9:00AM until 2:00PM. Here are the details:

Equipment Required:

- Pistol, 9mm or larger

- USPSA or IDPA compliant holster, belt and ammo pouches for at least two

magazines. The holster must prevent access to the trigger when the pistol is

holstered

- At least three magazines

- At least 150 rounds of ammunition

- Eye and ear protection

- A chair is recommended

The fee is $25.00, payment is due at the start of the class, cash only please.

You do not have to be a member of Shongum to attend. The class will be held rain or shine. Bring lunch or snack and

something to drink.

So Col. Mortimer was generous enough to offer meeting up with me personally on a Sunday since I can't make Saturdays. I plan on taking him up on the offer either way, but suggested that if he is going to offer his time up like that......we should try to get at least a couple more people.

If anyone is interested in doing this on a Sunday, let your voice be heard and we can work out a date that works with Col. Mortimer.

I saw the date but the 26th and 27 of Feb and Mar are both Saturdays and Sundays, never mind lol

Harry

Thanks for the info Maks!

I WILL be attending this. Do I have to apply or send in an application or anything? Or just show up?

Also, after researching Shongum on the net, is it located in Oxford off Pequest road off 31? Can't find any other info other than that...

Let me just say....this was a GREAT experience. Anyone interested in getting into USPSA should DEFINITELY take this intro class.

I was interested but was thinking that when you were asking about Sunday the 27th I was thinking great I can make this one, but I see Feb and Mar had the same dates for Sat and Sun. Unfortunately I can't make it Saturday, but I am off on Sundays like you are. Maybe another time, Guess I might as well go to the USPSA match on Sunday at the OBRPC and even if I don't participate, I can get an idea of what it's like.

Harry

I was interested but was thinking that when you were asking about Sunday the 27th I was thinking great I can make this one, but I see Feb and Mar had the same dates for Sat and Sun. Unfortunately I can't make it Saturday, but I am off on Sundays like you are. Maybe another time, Guess I might as well go to the USPSA match on Sunday at the OBRPC and even if I don't participate, I can get an idea of what it's like.

Harry

Shoot the match anyway. =) There is a safety intro before every match.

Mike, any weather impact for sat?

Great, I plan on being there at 0900 for that, I do belong to the club anyway so I figured I should be active in these.

As far as the forecast this is the text version of the NOAA one I use at work, I also have a graph with plenty of detail if you like:

Saturday

Night

nrasn20.jpg

Slight Chc

Rain/Snow

Lo 26 °FSunday

bkn.jpg

Partly

Sunny

Hi 38 °FSunday

Night

nsct.jpg

Partly

Cloudy

Lo 23 °F

Saturday Night: A slight chance of rain before 9pm, then a slight chance of rain and snow between 9pm and 11pm, then a slight chance of snow after 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 38.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 23.

Harry

Hi all. Are there still openings available for Saturday? New member, but long time lurker. Relatively new to shooting, but enjoying it.

Thanks

Yeah, send Col Mortimel a PM and he will let you know. There were 2 spots left when I PMed him on tuesday so there is one left right now I think...if it is still left. PM him ASAP!

I am in for this! I am looking forward and hoping for good weather on saturday!

Field conditions will be sloppy and slippery. This may eliminate stages with movement. It will be colder at the range than southern parts of the state (Maks knows) so dress appropriately. I would wear waterproof boots if you have them.

Field conditions will be sloppy and slippery. This may eliminate stages with movement. It will be colder at the range than southern parts of the state (Maks knows) so dress appropriately. I would wear waterproof boots if you have them.

Thanks for the advise, I'll be dressed appropriately,over the years of flying Hang Gliders and riding Harley's I know that no matter how much fun you can have doing something being cold take the fun out of it. That and your ability to do your best is also hampered.

Still will be looking for a time when you have a Sunday class, even after I shoot a match or more, I would like to get some more training and advise, can only help to advance my knowledge and performance, so if you ever have others asking for a Sunday session let us know, I know I'd do what ever I can to attend.

Harry

Wow, I am so glad I went to this! 'Classroom' time was about an hour, then we enjoyed 3 hours of range time...it was the perfect amount of time. Thanks so much for everything Mike. I was impressed with how well the class went and how professional and safe the shooting was conducted and monitored.

It was a pleasure to meet everyone as well! A great way to spend a saturday afternoon...

Had a great time today. It was great to go through the basics without the pressure of an actual match.

Thanks for organizing this Mike and thanks to our great ROs, Maksim and Craig!

I'll be there again next weekend. It is addicting...wife is not going to be happy :punish:

Thank you Maks, Craig, Chris and Ed for all your help. We had a very successful and safe class. I was impressed with how well things ran, especially with such a large class.

Just a reminder, be sure the trigger cannot be activated when your pistol is holstered. Some of the leather holsters were questionable. If you can slip your finger into the holster and activate the trigger, it is not USPSA compliant. USPSA does not approve holsters or have an approved list but the hard holsters are generally the best and as long as they cover the trigger, they are almost certain to be compliant.

I look forward to seeing everyone at a match in the near future.

Mike

Oooh, reminder... bring sunscreen. :icon_e_confused: Realized my face was burned to a crisp when I got back.

I have been putting aloe on my face all evening. There was a few inches of snow on the ground. Who would've thought I needed sunscreen?