Simon68

shooting both .357 and .38 special in range session

I am purchasing a .357 Taurus Tracker (just waiting for my permits to come in, been almost 2 mos. Rediculous, but that's another topic) Can I shoot both .357 and .38 specials in one range session or do I need to clean the gun between calibers?

Thank you!

You can shoot both, but should shoot 357mag first if you plan on doing both in the same session. Unburnt powder forms a soot ring in the cylinder right at the edge of the case mouth. This acts to constrict the cylinder a little bit. If you shoot 357 first, then 38 special, there is no issue. If you shoot 38 special first, the soot ring builds up in the area where the longer 357 brass will be sitting. This will cause higher pressures. 357mag is already a high pressure round. My biggest gripe is that the soot ring makes ejecting 357 brass much harder. The easiest thing to do is quickly run a wire bore brush through the cylinder holes after shooting either caliber..

You can shoot both, but should shoot 357mag first if you plan on doing both in the same session. Unburnt powder forms a soot ring in the cylinder right at the edge of the case mouth. This acts to constrict the cylinder a little bit. If you shoot 357 first, then 38 special, there is no issue. If you shoot 38 special first, the soot ring builds up in the area where the longer 357 brass will be sitting. This will cause higher pressures. 357mag is already a high pressure round. My biggest gripe is that the soot ring makes ejecting 357 brass much harder. The easiest thing to do is quickly run a wire bore brush through the cylinder holes after shooting either caliber..

Good tip. Never really thought of this. I tend to go back and forth between calibers. May want to change that...

+1 on this. Good advice Lunker!

I have fired at least 100,000 38s in a 357 and probably 80% of that lead bullets. You really have to be doing something wrong to get the carbon/lead buildup from 38s to interfere with 357s. Lousy bullets, poor cleaning or whatever.

I shoot 38's first then 357's to clean out the bore. Makes cleaning easier.

This is not a good idea. If you have that much lead build up (obstruction)in the bore you will be raising the pressure of that 357 round a lot more than a carbon ring in the cylinder which can vent pressure out faster and in more directions. I'm not saying you will blow up your revolver....but it might.

I have shot both at the same time, sometimes in the same cylinder load :icon_e_surprised: Yeah, the soot ring & the lead (from .38) are frigging annoying, more so the lead for me. I usually have a rag with me and wipe down inside the cylinders and attempt to keep the forcing cone & front of the cylinder clean as I can. I did just get a 4 pak of nylon bore brushes in that size, so will throw one in my bag for BA on 1/11/11

While it may pose difficulties in extraction, going from 38 to 357 will not create pressure problems. That soot ring will be covered by the 357 brass, hence no bore constriction. Now, if your 38 rounds excessivly lead the bore, than its a different problem, but thats not due to switching to 357

While it may pose difficulties in extraction, going from 38 to 357 will not create pressure problems. That soot ring will be covered by the 357 brass, hence no bore constriction. Now, if your 38 rounds excessivly lead the bore, than its a different problem, but thats not due to switching to 357

I have read that the soot ring exerts pressure on the brass where the bullet is seated, effectively making a much tighter crimp on the bullet and allowing pressure to build higher. I can't speak from experience though. I have never had any kabooms, but I have had tough extractions from shooting 38 special in a 357..

tough extration makes sense but for the soot to crimp the bullet tighter you would have to be beating the rounds into the cylinder with a hammer, and at that point you should stop and think "wtf is going on". If you have ever crimped a pistol round with a moderate to heavy crimp you would know why im saying this. with a 16" handle for leverage you still need to lean into the press. To exceed that amount of force just by dropping the round into the cylinder is impossible.

Now, if your 38 rounds excessivly lead the bore, than its a different problem, but thats not due to switching to 357

What I said was if you switch to 357s after shooting 38s that have excessively leaded the bore you will create an excess pressure situation. Contrary to what some believe the jacketed 357 round will not "clean out" the lead. It will try to compress the lead which basic physics doesn't allow. If enough pressure builds up it will split the barrel.

Now, if your 38 rounds excessivly lead the bore, than its a different problem, but thats not due to switching to 357

What I said was if you switch to 357s after shooting 38s that have excessively leaded the bore you will create an excess pressure situation. Contrary to what some believe the jacketed 357 round will not "clean out" the lead. It will try to compress the lead which basic physics doesn't allow. If enough pressure builds up it will split the barrel.

Switching to jacketed 38s will have the same effect though. its not due to switching calibers.

Switching to jacketed 38s will have the same effect though. its not due to switching calibers.

Well yes...and no. Jacketed 38s can have the same effect but are less likely to damage the gun at 17-20000 psi. The 357 runs at 35,000 max pressure so it would be much more likely to damage the gun than 38s.