If I understand the regs correctly, it looks like after I am restricted to #4 shot or smaller ONLY while hunting at night... thereby making it legal to use my 12 gauge slug gun during the normal day.

Is this correct? Anyone have any experience with this issue?

It also reads as any call needs to be in one's possession... I am correct in assuming that means no setting up an electronic call 50 yards down field?

(I hate this state sometimes)

TIA

- BierGut

I'm trying to figure out from your pseudonym whether you're going for the straight German translation (Beer Good) or whether you are going for a Germlisch translation (Beer Gut). :icon_e_biggrin:

And if I could figure out the firearms and hunting laws in this state, I would be a VERY rich man.

I'm trying to figure out from your pseudonym whether you're going for the straight German translation (Beer Good) or whether you are going for a Germlisch translation (Beer Gut). :icon_e_biggrin:

And if I could figure out the firearms and hunting laws in this state, I would be a VERY rich man.

Beer Gut I'm afraid -- and what it's full of much of the time! :icon_e_biggrin:

Regarding those laws, it's like anything else... I'd feel like a real a$$ if I was restricted for a year or so because I make some stupid mistake on an over-hunted WMA. Yotes just are not coming in on my land for whatever reason.

If I understand the regs correctly, it looks like after I am restricted to #4 shot or smaller ONLY while hunting at night... thereby making it legal to use my 12 gauge slug gun during the normal day.

Is this correct? Anyone have any experience with this issue?

It also reads as any call needs to be in one's possession... I am correct in assuming that means no setting up an electronic call 50 yards down field?

(I hate this state sometimes)

TIA

- BierGut

Shot size not smaller than #4 up to "T" size shot is allowed for coyote/fox, as are bow & arrow. Jan. 1 - Mar.15 is now the special permit season for coyote/fox. Slugs/buckshot or muzzleloaders are allowed only during the regular 6-day deer season for "incidental" harvest. You can even hunt at night with a spotlight now if you prefer. Electronic callers are allowed now as well.

You should find what you need to know here:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/dighnt56-68.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/smgame_summary10-11.pdf

Shot size not smaller than #4 up to "T" size shot is allowed for coyote/fox, as are bow & arrow. Jan. 1 - Mar.15 is now the special permit season for coyote/fox. Slugs/buckshot or muzzleloaders are allowed only during the regular 6-day deer season for "incidental" harvest. You can even hunt at night with a spotlight now if you prefer. Electronic callers are allowed now as well.

You should find what you need to know here:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/dighnt56-68.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/smgame_summary10-11.pdf

Parker, thank you for the links. I appreciate the help.

I have a "Permit Season Shotgun Deer License" and according to the regs am allowed to harvest Coyote and Fox (incidentally) using my 12 gauge with deer ammunition; in my case slugs. I think it goes without saying that having in my possession a Coyote calling device while deer hunting would be in violation of the NJ Hunting regulation. On the bright side, it looks like I do have a choice and if I want to use a calling device, I need to be using small game ammo (#4 - T) through a smooth bore if strictly hunting for Coyote. (With permit of course!)

... effing NJ.

Thanks Again -- BierGut

Had some good friends with a small farm in milledgeville, ga a few years back. We did field trials together down that way. He would get coyotes in his fields all the time. I shot one with a 9mm Marlin Camp Carbine one day... but he prefered an old double barrel winchester with #4s in one barrel for 20+yards and single ought buck up close. His shotgun was an old duck gun with 30" barrell choked full/mod. I dont think he ever cleaned that bore and it prob shot very tight because of it. Head shots saved the pelt, and he would kill a bunch and then sell the pelts for $10 each to another friend.

I have a "Permit Season Shotgun Deer License" and according to the regs am allowed to harvest Coyote and Fox (incidentally) using my 12 gauge with deer ammunition; in my case slugs. I think it goes without saying that having in my possession a Coyote calling device while deer hunting would be in violation of the NJ Hunting regulation. On the bright side, it looks like I do have a choice and if I want to use a calling device, I need to be using small game ammo (#4 - T) through a smooth bore if strictly hunting for Coyote. (With permit of course!)

... effing NJ.

Thanks Again -- BierGut

Don't forget that if you want to hunt the permit season you need both a Coyote/Fox permit and a 2011 Shotgun Hunting license.

Coyote/Fox permits: $2, available at any license

agent or via Fish and Wildlife’s Internet license

sales site (WildlifeLicense.com/NJ) beginning

December 15. A hunting license must be

purchased prior to or in conjunction with the

purchase of a Special Coyote and Fox Permit.

Good luck trying for coyotes. I've personally never seen one in the wild. I know they are in this state, but have yet to see one. I've seen bears and plenty of foxes (saw a big one this afternoon while hunting permit deer), but have yet to see a coyote.

... effing NJ.

Thanks Again -- BierGut

You may also use a muzzleloader during the day (regardless of deer season) with a single projectile if you have a rifle permit, coyote permit and general license. No muzzleloaders at night.

Don't forget that if you want to hunt the permit season you need both a Coyote/Fox permit and a 2011 Shotgun Hunting license.

Coyote/Fox permits: $2, available at any license

agent or via Fish and Wildlife’s Internet license

sales site (WildlifeLicense.com/NJ) beginning

December 15. A hunting license must be

purchased prior to or in conjunction with the

purchase of a Special Coyote and Fox Permit.

Good luck trying for coyotes. I've personally never seen one in the wild. I know they are in this state, but have yet to see one. I've seen bears and plenty of foxes (saw a big one this afternoon while hunting permit deer), but have yet to see a coyote.

You need to use a caller to hunt coyotes, it brings them right in. In 20 years of deer/small game hunting I have only seen them once or twice. I have seen pheasants eaten by coyotes within an hour after being stocked, they're around but they keep their distance when people are around.

No need to go to NY, they are all over NJ. Bigger ones than I have seen in NY too.

The ones in NJ have no predators, the ones in NY have big cats to worry about.

I would recommend a caller with a remote and a loud speaker. They are pretty easy to bang out at night with a call.

I usually set the caller out at 50 or so yards, and start low.

• Like 1